• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I can't seem to add or remove pages from my watchlist by clicking the Watch/Unwatch button on a page. It always comes up with an error message.
I can watch and unwatch fine, make sure your browser is up to date, if there is still an issue, post what browser your using and i'll poke one of the techs.
This has been happening to me as well. I can still manually delete them from "View and edit watchlist," however. I'm using Comodo Dragon (a variant of Chrome), which self-updates, but this only started about a week or two ago.

I have the same issue. The browser I'm using usually is Internet Explorer 9. My iPhone's Safari browser also gives error messages.

I've got a small but annoying problem using the forums. When using the mobile site, if I'm looking at a list of threads like the xy section, I can only go straight to the first page of any thread. Pressing the blue arrow that's supposed to take me to the last page doesn't work, leaving me to have to then wait for the first page to load before then clicking on the last page number. Any help would be much appreciated :)

I've got a small but annoying problem using the forums. When using the mobile site, if I'm looking at a list of threads like the xy section, I can only go straight to the first page of any thread. Pressing the blue arrow that's supposed to take me to the last page doesn't work, leaving me to have to then wait for the first page to load before then clicking on the last page number. Any help would be much appreciated :)

This thread is for issues regarding Bulbapedia. Issues regarding the forums should be posted here.

I'm already using the latest version of Firefox. Don't know if this helps or not, but the problem started shortly after the website was unlocked a few weeks ago.

We'd rather you didn't as then you aren't really improving the situation at all, just making it worst by making assumptions or making it harder to find those that are missing.

...How would it be easier to find random red links than it would be to find a bunch of names in a category like "Uncertain Romanizations"? I'd say that much would be a slight improvement.

As for making assumptions, I would count it better for the average user of the site - i.e., not an editor (of any stripe or experience), and someone we can expect to be an English speaker and completely unable to read raw Japanese names. And I would consider a mark to denote those names as uncertain sufficient to deter assumptions that that's the absolute right name.

Random Redlinks because we already have a category that lists all the Wanted templates, as for the names, personally I find it better to have the templates there, if not only cause at least then the raw Japanese name is there for people who can read it. But we'll see what other staff say, or you can bring it up with one of the staff members on the pedia who frequently update those names.

View attachment 91389For the Kalos Pokemon sprites, instead of using the official artwork, how about using images like the one I posted to this message? It would help in not causing the pictures to bloat up (like the current roster for opponents' teams of Kalos).
Going off of what I said before, for the icons for Generation VI Pokemon, wouldn't it be better if, rather than what we have now (I don't even know what they are) can't we use icons like these: View attachment 91564?

Where did you get that image, if it's custom made then no, if you took it from another website then no, that's theft.

I used the images that I just posted from Serebii and Marriland, respectively, just to use as examples for my suggestion. I never suggested we steal from other websites, just using examples in order to demonstrate that it's possible to have better images and icons for Generation VI Pokemon than the ones we have now. If those websites can generate those images, then so can Bulbapedia; we just need some people who are good with generating images and computers to provide those images for us (aka, not me, I'm very impaired when it comes to those things).

It's a lot more complicated then that unfortunately, whereas in previous generations it was a simple task. We are well aware that the sprites have their own game models and menu sprites, we just can't access them. Getting the images would have been the first thing we'd done if we could, we just don't have the hardware to do it (not to mention the hardware is expensive, especially for a non-profit website).

But we are still planning on getting them eventually, right?

Yes, we are still planning to get them. We just need someone with the hardware to get the sprites/models from the game.
Assuming we have them, will the images of the models replace the official artwork present in evolution tables?
So far, I haven't seen any individual models uploaded, just screenshots of moves.

No, we plan on keeping the artwork in the evobox even after the models have been uploaded.
Sorry, one last inquiry. Will the XY models go in the main Sprites table, or something else? I'd like to see them along with the other 3D models in their own table on each Pokémon's page.

This is still being decided however they will most likely go in a new table with previous models

The existence of this thread makes my request so much easier!

I'm blind, and therefore I love how Bulbapedia provides physical descriptions of the Pokemon! Not all of the Gen VI Pokemon have been described as yet, but I know they will be eventually. However, I'm wondering if there will be descriptions of the Mega Evolutions on the pages for the Pokemon who have them. I would really appreciate it if this was done, as I am a fanfiction writer as well as blind and having those details at my fingertips in case I needed to reference something in my writing would be wonderful.

On a related note, there are things I've looked up, hoping for a description of their appearance, however brief, and have found that there isn't one on the site. These include berries, evolutionary items and TMs (The latter's different colours for each type are all I'm really trying to find out). I know the staff do a ton of work every day on all areas of the site, and I'm only one person, and most users are sighted and can look at the pictures, but it would be nice if the berries, for example, were given a brief, concise description like the Pokemon do. It doesn't even need to be that long, just a couple of sentences giving approximate shape, colour and texture where applicable, and maybe a description of the tree as well, just as brief. I hope nobody is offended by my suggestions, as I would really appreciate them. The descriptions of the Pokemon allow me to visualise them and the same would be true for berries and other items if they had little descriptions as well. I'm not talking about the one-line descriptions from the games. They aren't very informative in the areas I mean at all.

If there are reasons these things haven't been done, just tell me and I'll drop it, though I will be sad if nothing can be done about it.

The existence of this thread makes my request so much easier!
I'm blind, and therefore I love how Bulbapedia provides physical descriptions of the Pokemon! Not all of the Gen VI Pokemon have been described as yet, but I know they will be eventually. However, I'm wondering if there will be descriptions of the Mega Evolutions on the pages for the Pokemon who have them. I would really appreciate it if this was done, as I am a fanfiction writer as well as blind and having those details at my fingertips in case I needed to reference something in my writing would be wonderful.
On a related note, there are things I've looked up, hoping for a description of their appearance, however brief, and have found that there isn't one on the site. These include berries, evolutionary items and TMs (The latter's different colours for each type are all I'm really trying to find out). I know the staff do a ton of work every day on all areas of the site, and I'm only one person, and most users are sighted and can look at the pictures, but it would be nice if the berries, for example, were given a brief, concise description like the Pokemon do. It doesn't even need to be that long, just a couple of sentences giving approximate shape, colour and texture where applicable, and maybe a description of the tree as well, just as brief. I hope nobody is offended by my suggestions, as I would really appreciate them. The descriptions of the Pokemon allow me to visualise them and the same would be true for berries and other items if they had little descriptions as well.

If that isn't... the most beautiful... thing... I've ever read. It's amazing. I don't mean to emphasize your condition, but it just really struck me how different Pokémon must be for you. Sorry for being dramatic, but Pokémon holds a special place in my childhood and fantasies. It's a whole other world, ya know? Friends, amazing creatures, and vibrant environments that stimulate the imagination.
I'll try my best to give you accurate descriptions of Pokémon and Berries. When I start doing them, you can them check out at this link: User contributions for IWannaBeTheVeryBest - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

If that isn't... the most beautiful... thing... I've ever read. It's amazing. I don't mean to emphasize your condition, but it just really struck me how different Pokémon must be for you. Sorry for being dramatic, but Pokémon holds a special place in my childhood and fantasies. It's a whole other world, ya know? Friends, amazing creatures, and vibrant environments that stimulate the imagination.
I'll try my best to give you accurate descriptions of Pokémon and Berries. When I start doing them, you can them check out at this link: User contributions for IWannaBeTheVeryBest - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Thank you for saying that! I feel so warm and fuzzy right now. :D
Pokemon is awesome. They could keep making new ones forever, and I'd be perfectly happy if they keep at it for many years to come. I personally want them to reach at least 1000 Pokemon before they even think of stopping! They're so awesome!
And I love the descriptions Bulbapedia already provides. I read the entry for Vulpix and wish I could hug one. I read the entry for Altaria and wish I could be hugged by one. That sounds so wonderful. It helps having a vivid imagination. :D

Addition to Trivia under Iron Fist (Ability) Page

I would suggest adding information on why the move Poison Jab is not under the Punching Moves Category.

Greetings and salutations fellow Pokemon trainers :)

I was directed here by the helpful person/people who run the twitter page for Bulbapedia.

I would like to discuss/acknowledge some mechanics in gen 5/6 that upon review on multiple sites there is no mention.

So... it revolves around the three "Pledge" moves: Fire Pledge, Grass Pledge and Water Pledge and there use in double/triple battles. Myself and a few friends have been in competitive pokemon for a while now and we tend to notice the trends pretty well. A new trend of late is to lead with a Chlorophyll Venusaur and Charizard (that later Mega Evolves into Mega Charizard Y). Using Dorught's ability, on turn 2 of a battle Venusaur would use Grass Pledge as it was fastest. Following this immediately was Charizard Y with Fire Pledge.

The problem here is that Charizard seems to be out-speeding Pokemon that it normally shouldn't when using a move. In the two videos that I will write at the bottom, one shows Charizard out-speeding a Garchomp on turn 3, where on turn 2 Garchomp was faster and in the other, Charizard going before an Alakazam. The mechanics involved that I can see is that the Pledge moves seem to have some sort of priority attached when used in a double/triple battle where no matter when the first pledge move is made, the second goes straight after. This means that in essence, as long as the fastest Pokémon on the field goes first, it's partner will always go second.

If anyone can shed some light on this that would be great. I have checked all three "Pledge" move pages and move priority page here on Bulbapedia and other sites, and nothing is noted about it. I am asking now because this trend of using Grass Pledge and Fire Pledge is seeing a lot of competitive play, and would like some guidance on this topic. Any help/information would be greatly appreciated.

Battle Video #1: E62W-WWWW-WWW3-8U6L (is the battle with Garchomp)
Battle Video #2: CCYW WWWW WWW3 78KR (is the battle with Alakazam)

PS. Sorry for my ramblings... I haven't had sleep in days. I hope I have made some sense.

As I've been adding sprites that go unused in the Archives onto some Pokémon's articles, I've noticed something. In each Pokémon's Other Sprites section, what should the colors be? Here's a pic of the three variations I've seen on Bulbapedia. I recently changed Bulbasaur's colors from the second one listed here to the first, as the lighter green matches the main Sprites box more. However, most of the Other Sprites boxes of other Pokémon were version 3 (a color scheme used in the Evolution box) before I started changing them. Before I go any further, what should be standard? I like version 1.

Untitled.png

Re: Official Bulbapedia suggestion/idea thread

Hey I was browsing the chesnaught page and noticed that spikes is said to come from delibird but there was nothing on the delibird page about it getting spikes. I know smeargle can get chesnaught can breed spikes onto chesnaught.

I apologize if something like this has been suggested before, but what if a pokemon's formes and megas could be displayed through tabs, like how this other wiki does?

This could be used to show different artworks of a pokemon or trainer in different generations or styles, too. Furthermore, this could used for moves, to see how they're animated in different generations as opposed to putting all of that at the bottom of the page.

I apologize if something like this has been suggested before, but what if a pokemon's formes and megas could be displayed through tabs, like how this other wiki does?

This could be used to show different artworks of a pokemon or trainer in different generations or styles, too. Furthermore, this could used for moves, to see how they're animated in different generations as opposed to putting all of that at the bottom of the page.

Those tabs require that all content within them load before they compress, it's not something reasonable to do with images as it only serves to increase the time it takes for the article to load and display correctly. Such issues would be extremely apparent in regards to move animations, as the files are quite large in size.

We would certainly like to be able to offer larger alternate form artwork/move images in the infoboxes, but we haven't been able to secure a method that doesn't come with larger hindrances than benefits. This is one of many factors as to why we recently applied the small thumbnails for alternate forms, in order to constantly supply the means to view the alternate forms.

Back
Top Bottom