• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Should we have a page with a list of all the Nintendo 3DS Pokémon themes, possibly also including the Super Smash Bros. themes too?

It's an interesting prospect. I'd like to see a mock-up of the idea before giving any definite answer, however.

I have made a start to it here. Needs work, including images, but that's the sort of basic idea of it.

I have archived part of the "Talk:Legendary Pokémon" page at "Talk:Legendary Pokémon/Archive2" due to page length concerns. Someone should probably fully protect the page.

I have archived part of the "Talk:Legendary Pokémon" page at "Talk:Legendary Pokémon/Archive2" due to page length concerns. Someone should probably fully protect the page.

Much like User talk: pages, mainspace talk pages should be archived via moving the page to the archived title rather than copying & pasting the content from one location to another. This is done to preserve the talk page's history in its new location, and to make sure that content isn't removed by the archiving user during the copy & paste. Additionally, it is generally best to ask a member of staff (Administrator or higher) to do the archiving procedure for non-User talk:, since we can do the needed protection before the move takes place.

I thank you for trying to help out. I have fixed up the archiving, so the old talk page is now protected. If anyone wishes to re-open an unresolved section from the archive, they're welcome to do so on the new talk page and should just link back to the relevant archived section(s).

Hi! I'm currently watching the whole anime and I frequent the "List of anime episodes" page as a reference so I can keep track. Anyway, recently I noticed a small change to the Contents window. It's not that big a deal, but it makes navigating the page a bit more tedious. It now only has links to the beginning of each regional arc instead of every season which makes it more difficult to locate separate seasons in an arc. It's honestly not that big a deal, I only noticed because I use that page a lot.

Hi! I'm currently watching the whole anime and I frequent the "List of anime episodes" page as a reference so I can keep track. Anyway, recently I noticed a small change to the Contents window. It's not that big a deal, but it makes navigating the page a bit more tedious. It now only has links to the beginning of each regional arc instead of every season which makes it more difficult to locate separate seasons in an arc. It's honestly not that big a deal, I only noticed because I use that page a lot.

We recently made a huge upgrade to our season articles to follow the seasons as defined by the official Pokémon website. Each season article now contains a list of episodes in the order that TPCi uses. Because the series lists were already covering episodes based on the Japanese production ordering, including episodes that were never aired outside Japan while having section breaks based on DVD release "seasons", it was decided that arc-based section breaks would allow the lists to continue to include all main anime episodes in the same ordering to better reflect the Pokémon anime as a whole.

One thing that has been bothering me is that move templates have not been updated to include OR/AS changes as a seperate subcolumn, like B2/W2, HG/SS, Pt etc. When are we going to update the things?

I've noticed that in the window at the bottom of any Glitch pages, it lists a few glitches under each generation. What bugs me is that there isn't all of them.

What makes a glitch 'major' and what requirements does it have to meet to get its own article? It was just bugging me how you chose which glitches were 'important'?

Just out of interest, how did you choose? :)

I've noticed that in the window at the bottom of any Glitch pages, it lists a few glitches under each generation. What bugs me is that there isn't all of them.

What makes a glitch 'major' and what requirements does it have to meet to get its own article? It was just bugging me how you chose which glitches were 'important'?

Just out of interest, how did you choose? :)

The navigation template is only there to navigate between glitches articles, so glitches that don't have articles aren't listed there. Especially for Generation I, listing every glitch in that template just isn't feasible.

There's no strict criteria for giving a glitch its own page, but I can think of a few guidelines for when a page should have its own page:
  • If the glitch allows the player to obtain a Pokemon, move or item (including glitch Pokemon, glitch moves, and glitch items).
  • If the glitch allows the player to access normally inaccessible locations.
  • If the glitch receives significant official acknowledgement (e.g. Lumiose City save glitch, Surf glitch) or official response (e.g. Sky Drop glitch).
  • Large families of glitches (e.g. Select button glitches)
  • Glitches that have large associated lookup tables (when the tables aren't simply index lists that have their own articles).

There are probably some glitches that currently don't have articles that could be split off into their own (for example, the "Evolutionary stone bypassing" glitch is something I plan to give its own article, once I finish looking into stone-based evolutions for glitch Pokemon). Basically, if the glitch has subsections on the list of glitches page, it's probably a good idea to consider splitting it.

As for how we have chosen in the past, they've essentially just been assessed on a case-by-case basis. Several glitches used to have their own articles and no longer do, and plenty were just on the lists but were later split off.

So I was on Bulbasaur's page and noticed that the template for the table that lists locations in side games has been updated and includes games up to generation VI. I decided to update all other Pokémon pages from Caterpie and onwards (since the Kanto starters have updated tables already). I started editing Caterpie's page using the table from Bulbasaur's page as a base. However, I noticed Bulbasaur's table doesn't have the locations from PokéPark 2, PMD Blazing/Stormy/Light and Typing Adventure. It's understandable for PokéPark 2 because Bulbasaur isn't in the game, but he is in the latter two. Because of this, I updated Caterpie's page but didn't add the locations from PokéPark 2 and PMD Blazing/Stormy/Light. Can locations from these three games be added in these tables or not? If they can, what's the name I need to put in the "v=*Insert game here" part?

@Tepig2000; We would prefer that these template conversions be handled specifically by members of staff. Missing content can be added by the public once the templates have been converted, and we will try to provide examples for each game in the near future.

'Kay. I guess I'll wait until they are changed then.

For some reason, trying to sort moves by level only jumbles up the order. Is this a glitch or a simple mistake?

IMO there should page about permamently missable trainers (Gyms, Trick House etc.). We only have a page about permamently missable items. Also something like this for every game would be super useful: Unobtainable Things in Pokémon Diamond Version & Pearl Version & Unobtainable Things in Pokémon Platinum Version (Those are my guides)

Also on this page: List of Pokémon by effort value yield - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia there should be an option to sort Pokemon by games or regions at least. Just like in my guide Pokémon List by EXP yield (Gen I-IV)

EDIT:
Another thing that would be MEGA useful is a page that lists all places you can use each HM and bike. I can give you guide to Gen I: Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow Version - HM Usage Bulbapedia is also lacking a list of hidden items, I mean page like: "Pokemon Red Hidden Items" or Pokemon Red section on Hidden items page.

Sorry for my crappy english, hope you udnerstand what I mean.

EDIT2:
I found my post from 2010: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f195/new-page-suggestion-one-time-only-places-53099/#post1369220

Last edited:
IMO there should page about permamently missable trainers (Gyms, Trick House etc.). We only have a page about permamently missable items. Also something like this for every game would be super useful: Unobtainable Things in Pokémon Diamond Version & Pearl Version & Unobtainable Things in Pokémon Platinum Version (Those are my guides)
I don't think this is super useful. In part, it just seems like a weird idea: if your goal is not to miss any Trainers, then you shouldn't need any list.

Also on this page: List of Pokémon by effort value yield - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia there should be an option to sort Pokemon by games or regions at least. Just like in my guide Pokémon List by EXP yield (Gen I-IV)
Region/game is basically just equivalent to 'dex order.

EDIT:
Another thing that would be MEGA useful is a page that lists all places you can use each HM and bike. I can give you guide to Gen I: Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow Version - HM Usage Bulbapedia is also lacking a list of hidden items, I mean page like: "Pokemon Red Hidden Items" or Pokemon Red section on Hidden items page.
The bike can be used pretty much anywhere outside, there's really no need to try to list "all" the places you can use it. I have thought before that it might be neat to have somewhere listing all the places HMs could be used, though (possibly on the move pages, or else on a whole dedicated page, I guess; obviously Fly and Surf wouldn't be part of this, though).

A list of hidden items seems a bit unnecessary. They're not really rare enough to need something like that; there's usually at least one in most major places, so just look at every location for your game and they'll be right there in the Items section.

I don't think this is super useful. In part, it just seems like a weird idea: if your goal is not to miss any Trainers, then you shouldn't need any list.
My goal was to defeat all trainers in Red but in Fuchsia Gym I found Koga too fast and so I missed like 2 trainers. This is just one example.

EDIT:
The bike can be used pretty much anywhere outside, there's really no need to try to list "all" the places you can use it. I have thought before that it might be neat to have somewhere listing all the places HMs could be used, though (possibly on the move pages, or else on a whole dedicated page, I guess; obviously Fly and Surf wouldn't be part of this, though).
I meant Mach & Acro Bike. Surf should be included too because for example in Gold at the beggining you are passing through ponds & stuff and when you get Surf you probably don't remember all the places that had water. This guy did a good job when it comes to HMs: User:Minimiscience - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia (go to Unlockables)

A list of hidden items seems a bit unnecessary. They're not really rare enough to need something like that; there's usually at least one in most major places, so just look at every location for your game and they'll be right there in the Items section.
It is necessary because checking page for every Route, every City etc. takes too much time.

My goal was to defeat all trainers in Red but in Fuchsia Gym I found Koga too fast and so I missed like 2 trainers. This is just one example.
I think it would be a lot more efficient to just list the Trainers on their respective areas' pages. When you think about it, when you're playing through the game, a list of Trainers that are permanently missable isn't very useful because the list is given out of context. It makes more sense on the area's page because it's not like you can play the S.S. Anne and Fuchsia Gym at the same time, so it makes more sense to have everything on the S.S. Anne page: all the missable Trainers, all the missable items, etc.

It is necessary because checking page for every Route, every City etc. takes too much time.
I disagree. I find it extremely unlikely that a user will need a list of all the hidden items in a game all at once. You say that looking them all up individually "takes too much time", but when would someone actually want to look them all up in quick succession? If I'm playing a game and I want to hit up all the hidden items, I'll check each page as I'm arriving in that area in the game. The only time a page like this would be likely to be used is if a player decided to hit up all the hidden items after they'd already beaten the game and decided to do them all in one go for some reason. Due to the high specificity of this, I don't think a page is really worth the time, effort or disk space required.

Similarly, I don't really think there would be much call for a list of all the HM/Bike areas. Pretty much every area's article, as well as every player's guide ever, lists which areas have items, etc, that can only be accessed after coming back with a new HM or Bike. Putting all the information in one place, again, is too specialized to be worth the trouble of compiling, in my opinion.

What about other things that I wrote about? I mean Unobtainable Things and One-time only places.

And for trainers, yes I agree that It would nice to have all missable trainers listed on S.S. Anne page and on Fuchsia gym page etc.

Also I found that time-specific events are not complete on Bulbapedia. Here is what I made for Diamond & Pearl:
TIME-SPECIFIC EVENTS

TRAINERS
Battle Trainers at the Seven Stars Restaurant between 9 A.M. and 11 P.M.

Morning
-Jogger Raul - Route 209
-Jogger Richard - Route 209
-Joger Wyatt - Route 210
-Jogger Craig - Route 215
-Jogger Scott - Route 215

Night
-Policeman Alex - Route 212
-Policeman Bobby - Route 212
-Policeman Caleb - Route 212
-Policeman Danny - Route 212
-Policeman Dylan - Route 212
-Policeman Thomas - Route 222

ITEMS FROM THE MAN IN THE CELESTIC TOWN'S SHOP
Choice Specs (Morning)
BlackGlasses (Day)
Wise Glasses (Night)

POKéMON
Catch Rotom in the Old Chateau (Night)

EVOLUTION
Day
-Eevee -> Espeon
-Budew - > Roselia
-Happiny -> Chansey
-Riolu -> Lucario

Night
-Eevee -> Umbreon
-Gligar -> Gliscor
-Sneasel -> Weavile
-Chingling -> Chimecho

OTHER
Touch the statue in Pokémon Mansion between 2 A.M. and 6 A.M.

Another thing that would be cool is Optional Areas page. Example for Diamond & Pearl:
OPTIONAL AREAS
Route 224
Old Chateau
Wayward Cave
Solaceon Ruins (Maniac Tunnel)
Pokémon Mansion
Iron Island
Fuego Ironworks
Spring Path -> Sendoff Spring -> Turnback Cave
Fullmoon Island
Snowpoint Temple
Battle Zone (Fight Area, Survival Area, Stark Mountain, Resort Area)

In short: save early, and reset if you make a mistake like that. At most, like Zesty Cactus is saying (I think), we could just make a note on a location page saying that certain Trainers can't be revisited after a certain point.

I meant Mach & Acro Bike. Surf should be included too because for example in Gold at the beggining you are passing through ponds & stuff and when you get Surf you probably don't remember all the places that had water. This guy did a good job when it comes to HMs: User:Minimiscience - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia (go to Unlockables)
Ah, yeah, I would agree with Mach & Acro-specific places. And I see what you mean with Surf, that fits with the uses I like.

My point was, there are so many that duplicating all of them just becomes excessive. And IMO just saying where an item's location is can still be a bit confusing without looking at a map; so basically, there's a good chance you'd be opening a lot of the individual location pages anyway.

Also I found that time-specific events are not complete on Bulbapedia. Here is what I made for Diamond & Pearl:
If the page is missing things, you can always add to it yourself.

Another thing that would be cool is Optional Areas page. Example for Diamond & Pearl:
It seems to me that instead of us listing optional areas, people can just look at the region's locations template and see which ones they haven't been to.

Similarly, I don't really think there would be much call for a list of all the HM/Bike areas. Pretty much every area's article, as well as every player's guide ever, lists which areas have items, etc, that can only be accessed after coming back with a new HM or Bike. Putting all the information in one place, again, is too specialized to be worth the trouble of compiling, in my opinion.
For me, these things are much more spread out, so it's more of a pain to look through all of the locations for them. Especially if you take each HM/bike individually, the places each can be used can be quite rare (relative to the total number of locations in the game).

Also, the games like to throw out at least a couple totally optional places/items you'll have to pass by early on because you don't have the right HM. And it's not strictly "easy" to remember those areas (or it's easy enough to forget them), and I know that I, at least, often don't like the idea of backtracking every time I get a new HM, I'd rather save it for a point when I've gotten all of them. And then also, HM moves take "space" (that can only be freed at the Move Deleter), and I don't always want to reserve a move or a Pokemon for an HM or HMs, so I could "have to" skip some things even if I actually have the HM. (All this also pretty well applies if I find an area where I need to use the Acro Bike, because I definitely prefer using the Mach Bike in general, and it's also a bit of a pain to switch them.)

In short, HMs are a bit of a pain, and it'd be nice to have something that eases the nuisance. It's nice if you can say, for example, "I'm ready now to run around and Cut, so where exactly are the places I can use it?".

Back
Top Bottom