• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Why have Bulbapedia articles changed to include a massive bar on the right side with recent Bulbanews articles? It's really screwed up the formatting for myself personally, making everything in the articles really crammed together and messing up a lot of the tables. Is this an error or is there some way to change this?

Hi, I'm new to these forums but a long-time user of Bulbapedia. I joined because I was curious about the documentation of fan-made Pokemon games. I wanted to see what sorts of documentation Bulbapedia had regarding fangames, but I was disappointed to learn that "Fangame" redirects to the ROM Hacks page. While it's true that ROM Hacks are fangames, it's not necessarily the case that all fangames are ROM Hacks. There is a large category of fan-made Pokemon games which aren't based on a pre-existing ROM but are made using external software such as RPGMaker or a custom engine. These aren't mentioned at all on the page, but they are often impressive works in their own right and have many thousands of players. I think they deserve to be noted in the archives.

My idea for this is to either change the title of ROM Hacks page to "Fangames" and have separate subsections for both hacked ROM games and non-hack games, or to create an entirely separate page for non-hack games. Some of these fangames are so notable that they may even deserve their own individual pages. I'd like to hear what the community thinks about this.

My idea for this is to either change the title of ROM Hacks page to "Fangames" and have separate subsections for both hacked ROM games and non-hack games, or to create an entirely separate page for non-hack games. Some of these fangames are so notable that they may even deserve their own individual pages. I'd like to hear what the community thinks about this.
If you want to create a page in your userspace about fan games (and put the mainspace template at the top), the EB could consider it and other people would generally be able to provide feedback

So new user here. I just wanted to report that whenever I'm accessing Bulbapedia on any mobile device (my iPad, my phone, even my 3DS) I absolutely MUST use Mobile mode, or virtually all links are disabled. I'm not sure what is causing that, whether it's a limitation of the software, or if there's an ad that's misbehaving or something (I'm leaning towards an ad because the links work sometimes, seems to be random, and also there aren't ads on mobile). This is a new development for me, and has only started happening within the last month or so. I hope you guys get a chance to look into it!

So new user here. I just wanted to report that whenever I'm accessing Bulbapedia on any mobile device (my iPad, my phone, even my 3DS) I absolutely MUST use Mobile mode, or virtually all links are disabled. I'm not sure what is causing that, whether it's a limitation of the software, or if there's an ad that's misbehaving or something (I'm leaning towards an ad because the links work sometimes, seems to be random, and also there aren't ads on mobile). This is a new development for me, and has only started happening within the last month or so. I hope you guys get a chance to look into it!
Finding the same problem over the last month as well.

1456778928-2.jpg
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but should the Pokémon Performer with the Nidoqueen have an article? As seen in the image the closed captions for the episode identify her as クイン子, which romanizes to Queenko, which basically amounts to Queen Girl, or Nidoqueen Girl. However it's still a name, so I'm wondering if she should have an article like the other named performers do.

I've got one drafted and ready to go, so if she qualifies for having an article I can make it for her.

I suspect this isn't something that can be changed, but can something be done about all the ads on the wiki? Between all those animated ads, and worse, video ads, it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to use. I hardly bother on my phone any more, and even on my laptop doing something as simple as looking up a few attacks is so slow I'm repeatedly going over to Serebii

I suspect this isn't something that can be changed, but can something be done about all the ads on the wiki? Between all those animated ads, and worse, video ads, it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to use. I hardly bother on my phone any more, and even on my laptop doing something as simple as looking up a few attacks is so slow I'm repeatedly going over to Serebii
If you create an account and log in, there shouldn't be any ads. That would be a very simple solution.

In the meantime, we are aware of the reports of the worst ads at least, but it's not entirely simple to deal with for one reason and another. We are trying to address the issue.

Did all of the hyperlinks on the wiki just become a much brighter shade of blue? They're suddenly much more difficult to read.

If you create an account and log in, there shouldn't be any ads. That would be a very simple solution.

No-one would want to sign up in the first place.
It isn't advertised anywhere on the website, "Sign-up for Bulbapedia to remove video ads!", you see?

No-one would want to sign up in the first place.
It isn't advertised anywhere on the website, "Sign-up for Bulbapedia to remove video ads!", you see?

Try to keep in mind that, the ads are what gives us the money to keep the site online, and to hold the awesome contests & giveaways where we give out some pretty awesome prizes (like 3DS games & Amiibo). If we widely advertised that creating an account removes the ads, it could negatively impact the much-needed ad revenue and our ability to continue our site operations that we do completely free of charge and without making a single penny for ourselves.

Ads are very much a necessary evil in order for many websites, especially fansites, to stay online. I don't think anyone really wants to have adverts all over the place, and site operators absolutely despise the advertisements that negatively impact our visitors. We're trying our best to get the problematic adverts removed, so please try to bear with us.

Update.
The ads are now glitching out and not appearing properly for me, which means they don't appear anymore. At least I can read the wiki again, thank Xerneas!

I'm new here, so apologies if this comes across as inappropriate but I few things with Bulbapedia have been bugging me:

I've noticed a lot of unofficial/fan terms popping up on a lot of the pages again recently. For example, both Lugia and Ho-oh have been labelled "trio masters" a dubious designation even within the anime canon and links to the trio master page, which is essentially a collection of fanfiction.

I've also noticed that the debate for what type of games Colosseum/XD should be classified as took place quite a while ago and didn't take into account any of the dialogue in X/Y, which basically confirmed them as non-canon. There's not really any harm keeping them as "side games" but I think the reasoning for that is pretty flimsy considering other spin off games (including the upcoming Pokemon Go, apparently) have been compatible with the main series. It seems to me like an arbitrary term to make those games seem more important.

I've also noticed that the debate for what type of games Colosseum/XD should be classified as took place quite a while ago and didn't take into account any of the dialogue in X/Y, which basically confirmed them as non-canon. There's not really any harm keeping them as "side games" but I think the reasoning for that is pretty flimsy considering other spin off games (including the upcoming Pokemon Go, apparently) have been compatible with the main series. It seems to me like an arbitrary term to make those games seem more important.
Can you explain what dialogue in X/Y you're referring to?

The side games designation is for games that can send Pokemon to and/or receive Pokemon from the core games. What other games do you think belong? (Leaving aside Go for now, which we can consider when there's more detail and/or it's finally released.)

Hi. The Bulbapedia is giving me serious problem due to the youtube-style video ads that I can't even click to close, because there is no [x] button anywhere in those video ads for closing. Not only it keeps on appearing at the front most no matter where I scroll to, so it covers 1/4 of my screen that I can't even read the Bulbapedia page, but more importantly it produce technical problem to my web browser where whenever a video ads pops up, an error message also pops up.

I currently using IE11 for browsing Bulbapedia. Although I do acknowledged IE is not the best browser as it is now basically deemed as the browser with most glitches, but for saving webpage purpose I choose to use it instead of other browser.

In any case, as those video ads pops up, IE produced an error message saying IE had not functioning due to technical problem, where it needs to restart the software and reload the webpage, though actually, it didn't restart even I click the option of "Close the program now", just merely reload the webpage. And then, as the webpage is reload and when that video ads pops up again, there is again very high probability the same error occurs again. Not until IE managed to block the ads with its own plugins that doesn't work most of the time, then such error message will stop to pops up.

Another one of the very serious problem, is that maybe due to these video ads (as well as any other adverts), it makes the opening of Bulbapedia webpage so difficult and time-consuming, where even opening just one tab eat up very large amount of the RAM and CPU usage of my computer. Basically just about having 5 loading tabs from Bulbapedia already took away 95% of my CPU usage rate. I don't really recalled Bulbapedia webpage being so bulky compares to webpage of other Pokemon encyclopedia websites, or webpages of any other topics that has no lesser adverts than Bulbapedia.

I really hope this technical issue can be resolve as soon as possible.

Hi. The Bulbapedia is giving me serious problem due to the youtube-style video ads that I can't even click to close, because there is no [x] button anywhere in those video ads for closing. Not only it keeps on appearing at the front most no matter where I scroll to, so it covers 1/4 of my screen that I can't even read the Bulbapedia page, but more importantly it produce technical problem to my web browser where whenever a video ads pops up, an error message also pops up.

I currently using IE11 for browsing Bulbapedia. Although I do acknowledged IE is not the best browser as it is now basically deemed as the browser with most glitches, but for saving webpage purpose I choose to use it instead of other browser.

In any case, as those video ads pops up, IE produced an error message saying IE had not functioning due to technical problem, where it needs to restart the software and reload the webpage, though actually, it didn't restart even I click the option of "Close the program now", just merely reload the webpage. And then, as the webpage is reload and when that video ads pops up again, there is again very high probability the same error occurs again. Not until IE managed to block the ads with its own plugins that doesn't work most of the time, then such error message will stop to pops up.

Another one of the very serious problem, is that maybe due to these video ads (as well as any other adverts), it makes the opening of Bulbapedia webpage so difficult and time-consuming, where even opening just one tab eat up very large amount of the RAM and CPU usage of my computer. Basically just about having 5 loading tabs from Bulbapedia already took away 95% of my CPU usage rate. I don't really recalled Bulbapedia webpage being so bulky compares to webpage of other Pokemon encyclopedia websites, or webpages of any other topics that has no lesser adverts than Bulbapedia.

I really hope this technical issue can be resolve as soon as possible.
We've already attempted to deal with this problem, if it's persisting, that's rather unfortunate for us... First, try clearing your cache as explained here. If the problem doesn't seem to occur again after that, then hopefully it really has been fixed. If it does keep occurring, though, any identifying information you can provide us with about the ad will help us greatly in getting it removed: screenshots of the ad, a URL for the ad itself (if possible), and/or any URL the ad might be trying to redirect you to.

(For your future information, though, we also have a Bad Ad Reporting Thread specifically for this sort of issue.)

Back
Top Bottom