• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Can you explain what dialogue in X/Y you're referring to?

The side games designation is for games that can send Pokemon to and/or receive Pokemon from the core games. What other games do you think belong? (Leaving aside Go for now, which we can consider when there's more detail and/or it's finally released.)

I don't understand the need for a separate definition, it's just a spin-off game with functionality with the main games. The Ranger and Stadium games also allowed you to transfer Pokemon to the main games, as did Box, Ranch, etc, albeit all to a lesser degree, but looking at the old discussions, it feels to me like the whole category of "side games" exists because of people who wanted to believe the Gamecube series of games were canon (or at least almost as important as the main games), which I don't think holds up with evidence from newer games.

The dialogue I was referring to in X/Y was all over the place, but inparticular the backpacker who name drops every single Pokemon region in a single sentence. There's no mention of Orre anywhere in the games, despite the multiple references to every one from the main games, which makes it pretty clear that XD/Colosseum aren't canon.

It ties back to my main point about fanmade terms being thrown onto pages without any consideration for standards or guidelines. Pokemon pages at the moment mix canon from every source and include a healthy dose of fanfiction and nonsense. Again, I don't want to seem like I'm dictating how things should be handled, but I don't think any wiki page should ever include the term "presumed" in the opening paragraph.

I don't understand the need for a separate definition, it's just a spin-off game with functionality with the main games. The Ranger and Stadium games also allowed you to transfer Pokemon to the main games, as did Box, Ranch, etc, albeit all to a lesser degree, but looking at the old discussions, it feels to me like the whole category of "side games" exists because of people who wanted to believe the Gamecube series of games were canon (or at least almost as important as the main games), which I don't think holds up with evidence from newer games.
The Stadium games are a very significant part of the "side games" distinction IMO. Basically everything you mentioned up there we've classified as a side game. (We haven't classified the Ranger games as side games, and I disagree with that, but the distinction drawn there is that a Pokemon isn't really sent, only an event is.) Even if we decided they were all spin-off games, I still think it would be valuable to specify which games do have some connectivity with the core games--which would end up basically being the side games category anyway...

The dialogue I was referring to in X/Y was all over the place, but inparticular the backpacker who name drops every single Pokemon region in a single sentence. There's no mention of Orre anywhere in the games, despite the multiple references to every one from the main games, which makes it pretty clear that XD/Colosseum aren't canon.
A lack of mention is NOT good evidence that Orre (or anywhere) is not canon. If you want to prove Orre is not canon, you need to show something that explicitly contradicts something that's canon in Orre (which is maybe pretty hard to do...but almost anything else is little better than guessing). Or ask someone officially involved in the games if only the core regions are canon.

Regarding the Backpacker in particular, you can also say he only mentioned the core games. I.e., it's an open question whether he was just trying to name drop ALL the canon regions or just the CORE GAME regions. You cannot say which is true.

Also, you very plainly can have Pokemon from Orre in core games. Their origin is referred to as "a distant land". You can argue whether that necessarily means the Colo/XD storylines are canon, but IMO that at least means Orre is a location that exists in the canon world. By the same token, the National and Earth Ribbons are also canon, and you can ONLY get those from Colo/XD (by purifying a Pokemon or beating Mt. Battle). (And Kanto/Hoenn are also acknowledged in Orre (in XD), at least in the Battle CDs and possibly another location I can't immediately identify.)

Arguably the Ranger game regions are canon too. Fiore definitely mentions Sinnoh in the Manaphy Egg mission, at least. Yet those weren't mentioned by the Backpacker either.

You can argue these back and forth, but AFAIK there's no CONCRETE evidence that anything outside the core regions is not canon.

...Also, I have to ask, is there somewhere we've explicitly treated Orre as canon or called it canon? In your original post before, I've realized you only said that classifying them as side games games gave them too much importance, and XY said they weren't canon. Which doesn't really mean we've said they're canon, so (just to check)...have we?

It ties back to my main point about fanmade terms being thrown onto pages without any consideration for standards or guidelines. Pokemon pages at the moment mix canon from every source and include a healthy dose of fanfiction and nonsense. Again, I don't want to seem like I'm dictating how things should be handled, but I don't think any wiki page should ever include the term "presumed" in the opening paragraph.
You're welcome to take up specific instances of such grievances on the relevant talk pages. It would be much more visible and draw wider feedback than posting here.

The right-hand side of every page is dead for me. I can't click any of the links in those sections. It seems to be a specific cut-off point/length and applies to every page.

Edit: Ok I read a few posts up and saw that other people have mentioned this. My bad.

Right-side links should now be clickable. You may need to use a cache-bypassing refresh, or clear your cache in order for the links to start working.

Firefox / Safari: Hold Shift while clicking Reload, or press either Ctrl-F5 or Ctrl-R (⌘-R on a Mac)
Google Chrome: Press Ctrl-Shift-R (⌘-Shift-R on a Mac)
Internet Explorer: Hold Ctrl while clicking Refresh, or press Ctrl-F5
Opera: Clear the cache in Tools → Preferences

Hi, I'm having issues with visiting Bulbapedia on my iPhone (not sure if Android users have the same problem as well). There are certain pages that will randomly redirect me to an ad site or some fake contest I've "won" and it will keep redirecting me there no matter what I do (I cannot even press the "Back" button). The only way to exit the ad is to go into my url bar and type in a different site manually. Not sure how I can circumvent this problem.

Hi, I'm having issues with visiting Bulbapedia on my iPhone (not sure if Android users have the same problem as well). There are certain pages that will randomly redirect me to an ad site or some fake contest I've "won" and it will keep redirecting me there no matter what I do (I cannot even press the "Back" button). The only way to exit the ad is to go into my url bar and type in a different site manually. Not sure how I can circumvent this problem.

Unfortunately, the cause of that is a rogue ad. We're working with our ad networks to get these ads removed, but we need as much information about the ad as possible for it to actually be found. Useful information includes: The URL of the ad, the URL the ad is directing you to, an image of the ad, and anything else you feel may be helpful.

More detailed sources for information would be helpful. I'm finding quite often that I want to check where canon information comes from (Partly to see if it really is accurate, but also to see whether it comes from games, manga, anime etc, which isn't always made clear).

For example:

In times gone by, the only Poké Balls that existed were made from Apricorns, with the process used to create the Poké Balls being developed sometime between 400 and 700 years before the present day in all Pokémon canons.

Where does that information come from? Is it definitive fact or a legend repeated by an NPC?

More detailed sources for information would be helpful. I'm finding quite often that I want to check where canon information comes from (Partly to see if it really is accurate, but also to see whether it comes from games, manga, anime etc, which isn't always made clear).

For example:

Where does that information come from? Is it definitive fact or a legend repeated by an NPC?
These links might be useful if you want to hunt for that sort of source a bit more easily. I'm not sure it's always (or perhaps even usually) easy to be super detailed about the sources, though. (I really don't know.)

I am sometimes having troubles to load pictures on Bulbapedia. Pictures mostly stop loading in the middle or don't load at all. Very rarely pictures load with no trouble at all. It's been a couple of days, I guess. Is that because of my browser, or is there something off with servers?

iNARyNs.png

uM0KzFF.png
Images have been loading fine for me. There have been a few server blips lately, due to increased GO-related traffic, but it's unlikely to be related. Fairly likely to be an issue with your browser or ISP.

Just a suggestion, but would it be possible for the list on Pokemon go moves show the speed of the attacks, since the attacks have different speeds? It would be helpful.

A number of Post-Game Trainers in B2W2 Small Court/Large Stadium have the wrong teams. It's clear that someone just C/P'd over the teams, as the trainers have the same names. Also doesn't help that the Trainers without the same teams as BW weren't listed on Serebii or GameFAQs, assuming they're not in the game at all.

So I've been looking around for a good Pokemon Card list that's easily searchable and can double as a way to have my own personal completion list. I realized using a Google Sheet would be perfect as it could be turned into a list that once could easily sort or filter to find the kind of cards they are looking for. The Pokemon TCGO has a great feature similar to this but it doesn't have some older cards and it's not as easily accessible or printable (to my knowledge). A Google Sheet could be used to search for Pokemon via set, type, abilities, weakness/resistance, standard, etc.

I'm looking to start this project on my own soon as I think it could be a great open source community tool that could be easily embedded into other sites or copied for people to make their own check-off list. I would like to have permission from Bulbapedia to link each Pokemon in the card list to their respective page on Bulbapedia as well as get their assistance in getting the word out on helping build the database. I can do alot of the back-end work but would just need help filling out the rows. From the Google Sheet I can give certain volunteers access to edit and I can organize with them on who should fill out what.

If this is something Bulbapedia would be interested in assisting with or others would enjoy having/participating in, please let me know!

Noticed while browsing this page that the text "no" is too bright and, at least for me, unnoticeable unless you highlight it. Can this be fixed?
The "no" is meant to be unnoticeable, and is the same color as the background. The white background indicates that in the specified generation, the Pokémon was not considered to have a unique typing.

I understand what "no" means there, but since it's white like the background, I was wondering if it was intentional (as you said it was) or not. Thanks anyway.

For some reason, I cannot discuss things on certain talk pages. Like Sun and Moon or Rugarugan.

Whenever I type, it erases what I tried to type immediately. This was NOT an issue in other pages like an anime episode. Is the talk pages protected because it doesn't look like it to me?

It seems it might be protected since I checked Rowlet, so 7th generation information. How can I bring something up in the talk pages of the article, if I can't even edit the talk page?

Have a good idea for Bulbapedia? See some content that needs added or needs fixing? Say it here!

I've noticed that there are far too many individual threads saying "Hey Pedia dudes I can has good idea." Let's make it simple for both the people who post the ideas and the people who look at them.

Alright so hear me out. On here magikarps name supposedly comes from 'magic' and 'carp', suggesting it's an ironic name. But, in Japanese it's koiking, which translates to carp king. And, in season 1 episode 16 James refers to his recently bought magikarp as 'king of carps'. So is it not reasonable that magikarps name comes from 'magi'- i.e. 'the three kings' that saw baby jesus?

Back
Top Bottom