• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Can we have an avatar check thread?

I'm at least 68.39% sure my avatar would pass, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Can we have an avatar check thread?

I'm at least 68.39% sure my avatar would pass, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

When reading the guidelines post, did you follow the link? We have one and this is for Bulbapedia stuff.

I can't seem to log into the forum through Tapatalk. It says I'm not permitted?

So... Can you unban my several-years-old Bulbapedia account banned for an unacceptable username and rename it to the username I'm using here? The reason why it happened is because it was completely unexpected for a website to only look if it allows a username after accepting the registration, not to mention actually ban people for a common word that didn't have a bad intent... We'll see... Thank you.

Hello everyone, I am a german Pokémon player but use always bulbapedia or serebii if I need help because these two sites are way more accurate than any german sites. So today was the first time where I found a mistake on bulbapedia after using it for years. (Okay, to be correct, I saw a word written wrong before somewhere in the Hoenn section, I believe it was the misspelling of Sootopolis City or something but that doesn't count, lol :D)
It is nothing important but I wanted to "submit" it, so it can be fixed. I don't know if I am right here, if not, then sorry. My english doesn't navigate me through the forums very well.. xD However, at the Poké Mart listings in Sinnoh, Canalave City is missing: Poké Mart - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
(Of course I don't look for something like that for fun, there was a quiz in a german Pokémon Forum where one question was how many Poké Marts are there in Sinnoh. Just to let you know, lol)

Not 100% sure I'm posting in the correct place, so feel free to correct me if not.

I have two suggestions relating to the trainer team templates:
  1. Hidden Power should be labelled according to the type of damage it inflicts, and not just Normal - About three weeks ago I changed the listing of Stadium 2 Lt. Surge's Round 2 (Link) Jolteon's Hidden Power to Ice. It was changed back to Normal with the reasoning that Hidden Power is technically a Normal-type move before its damage is modified, which I'm not criticising the user for because I'm sure this is the current convention. However, this is crucial information about Jolteon's moveset; telling the reader that a Pokemon is using Hidden Power but not the type of damage it inflicts is very unhelpful. Should a reader using Bulbapedia as a guide whilst playing Stadium 2 switch their Rhydon out to Dragonite to take a potential Hidden Power Grass? I'd like to request that either an exception to the type listing of Hidden Power be made, or information on Hidden Power's type be conveyed by another means (such as hover-over text).
  2. Where available, stat information should be displayed about each Pokemon - This is also crucial in-battle information. Let's create a hypothetical: a reader wants to know if their Lanturn will outrun Lance's Dragonite in B2/W2's PWT. If they knew that his Dragonite had a Speed stat of 129 resulting from a Lonely (+Atk, -Def) nature with 255 EVs and 25 IVs in Speed, they'd know that their 130 Speed Lanturn would be faster, but that information isn't present. Even outside of more competitive areas of the game, knowing the stats of Pokemon in specific trainer battles could help those looking to run damage calculations, or speedrunners wanting to optimise their runs. Having, for example, at least a "
    View hidden content is available for registered users!
View hidden content is available for registered users!

I have two suggestions relating to the trainer team templates:
It makes sense not to restrict Hidden Power to "Normal". Perhaps part of the reason it's been done like that is just because people aren't sure and don't take the time to figure out the effective type when adding the move. (As well as the reasoning you mentioned above.)

Adding 6 IVs, 6 EVs, and Nature or even just 6 final stats is a bit of a tall order. There's a couple things about that. 1) To me, the Pokemon templates already seem a bit crowded/busy to me. I guess, if anywhere, there might be a possibility for a row of 6 stats right above the moveset? But I don't know... 2) We'd have to get all that data wherever it would be used. That's not exactly trivial, at least not for the average player/editor. Let me say: what all did you have in mind, besides just PWT? (I am kind of asking for as exhaustive a list as you can imagine. If you want, I don't mind if you answer, "absolutely everything" if that's really your desire.) If you know where there's stat data for all of those things and you can point to them all, that'd at least make it possible without us having to do exhaustive investigations ourselves.

It makes sense not to restrict Hidden Power to "Normal". Perhaps part of the reason it's been done like that is just because people aren't sure and don't take the time to figure out the effective type when adding the move. (As well as the reasoning you mentioned above.)

Can I take that as having permission to make those changes?

Adding 6 IVs, 6 EVs, and Nature or even just 6 final stats is a bit of a tall order. There's a couple things about that. 1) To me, the Pokemon templates already seem a bit crowded/busy to me. I guess, if anywhere, there might be a possibility for a row of 6 stats right above the moveset? But I don't know... 2) We'd have to get all that data wherever it would be used. That's not exactly trivial, at least not for the average player/editor. Let me say: what all did you have in mind, besides just PWT? (I am kind of asking for as exhaustive a list as you can imagine. If you want, I don't mind if you answer, "absolutely everything" if that's really your desire.) If you know where there's stat data for all of those things and you can point to them all, that'd at least make it possible without us having to do exhaustive investigations ourselves.

If we did go for the route with just the 6 final stats, I suggest initially limiting the use of this addition to areas where the trainer Pokemon's levels and nature are static, as otherwise their stats become a range rather than a static figure. For example, between Generation 3 and 6, outside of the battle facilities, trainers had random natures. This was changed in Sun and Moon where their natures are static. Black 2 and White 2 had a difficulty system which changed Pokemon's levels as well, for example.

This would limit its use mostly to the following areas:
  • Gen 1 and 2 handheld games. Stadium 1 and 2 outside of Gym Leader Castle
  • Generation 4 Frontier Brains, Emmet and Ingo, Battle Chatelaines
  • Pokemon World Tournament - All trainers
  • Pokemon Sun and Moon - All notable trainers
Here's a mock-up. The final stats are shown, with the contributing factors being revealed by hover-over. I don't think it has too negative an impact on the aesthetic:

HXyHtCD.png

Here's where you can find information from the above list:
  • Red, Blue, Yellow - "All trainer-owned Pokemon have 0 Stat Experience and 8 DVs in every stat, except Attack in which they have 9 DVs." (Source)
  • Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal - Mostly ROM Editing, though lists like This exist for Crystal (may make your computer lag while loading, be patient)
  • Stadium 1 and 2 - ROM Editing (Tools such as This). You could also use This dump if you know how to convert hex.
  • Generation 4 Frontier Brains - Widely available (such as Here). Can ROM edit for a primary source.
  • Emmet and Ingo - They use generic subway Pokemon (Found Here)
  • Pokemon World Tournament - Region Leaders / World Leaders & Champions
    • Gym Leaders have 20 IVs in all stats, Champions have 25 IVs in all stats.
  • Battle Chatelaines - Likewise, they use generic maison Pokemon (Found Here)
  • Pokemon Sun and Moon - List of Trainers / Battle Tree Lookup
For instances where DVs/IVs and EVs are provided, but no final stat, there are calculators online that can provide it.

Last edited:
Can I take that as having permission to make those changes?
Yes.

If we did go for the route with just the 6 final stats, I suggest initially limiting the use of this addition to areas where the trainer Pokemon's levels and nature are static, as otherwise their stats become a range rather than a static figure. For example, between Generation 3 and 6, outside of the battle facilities, trainers had random natures. This was changed in Sun and Moon where their natures are static. Black 2 and White 2 had a difficulty system which changed Pokemon's levels as well, for example.

This would limit its use mostly to the following areas:
  • Gen 1 and 2 handheld games. Stadium 1 and 2 outside of Gym Leader Castle
  • Generation 4 Frontier Brains, Emmet and Ingo, Battle Chatelaines
  • Pokemon World Tournament - All trainers
  • Pokemon Sun and Moon - All notable trainers
The conclusion I'm coming to is, IMO stat info would at best be useful for battle areas, and not really for everything else in normal gameplay (like simply "notable Trainers"). For one thing, any regular Trainer (even if they're the "notable" sort) can pretty much ALWAYS be bested by leveling up and picking a good match (and/or using items). Normal Trainers are never *really* difficult to beat. For another thing, who's going to be looking at these stats? Average players/readers won't exactly care. Maybe speed could be useful, but everything else is kind of...complicated; if it'll be any help (beyond what base stats would broadly tell you already), it's only after performing tedious calculations. Which just leaves niche interests, like speedrunners. (In short...not thoroughly compelling.)

There are a few things Bulbapedia doesn't do, which includes strategies (like for competitive battling) or walkthrough-y directions. Your mention of speedrunners caught my attention initially, but thinking about it, speedrunning may be a similar niche that is simply outside of Bulbapedia's primary concern.

That leaves battle areas. Battle areas generally *are* tough, owing to inherent restrictions. Anyone really challenging that could reasonably benefit from knowing stat details.

All that said, it's a fairly tall order. If you really, really want something like this, I would suggest that creating user templates/pages to implement absolutely as much of this as you can may be the smartest option. If all the work to implement this sort of thing doesn't fall directly on staff's shoulders, that could only improve the chances of it being received favorably.

Back
Top Bottom