• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

This has been posted on the category's main talk page but I thought I'd post it here too as it's going to have to be addressed soon.

Under the category 'Episodes in which a Champion appears', all of the episodes of Sun and Moon since SM139 (Satoshi's victory over Gladion) have been counted... are we really counting a league champion like Satoshi along the likes of Shirona or Adeku? Because if we are, then the whole category becomes meaningless from this point on as Satoshi will be in every episode and it might as well be retired.

Thing in, the category has never counted league champions before. None of Alan's post-league XY episodes count. I do think there's a significant difference between a League Champion and a Pokemon Champion/Champion Master, so Satoshi's episodes shouldn't really be counted in this IMO.

There's a similar problem with "episodes in which an alternatively-colored Pokémon appears", because about half of the time it refers to Ash's Noctowl.

Subject: Broken link on Archaic's Bulbapedia talk page

Hi! There is an issue in the settings because Geodude's trademarked romaji isn't Ishitsubute, but Isitsubute. I just wanted to PM Archaic on the forums, but the link is broken. So, is it still possible here to PM staff members?

I'm having problems editing articles with the mobile version of Bulbapedia. Whenever I hit submit, it gives me this error:

Error, edit not saved.

Can someone fix this, please?

Hi, I don't know if this is a known issue or a purposeful choice by the site but when calculating the max stats for different pokemon 252 EVs are used to determine the max value possible for a stat. However, given a positive nature 255 EVs actually yields a higher max stat, albeit by 1.
For example, take a Blastoise with perfect IVs and 252 EVs in special defense and a +SpD nature, given a base SpD stat of 105 this results in a "max" special defense of 339 (as stated by the site). With the same IVs and nature but with 255 EVs in SpD instead you get a max SpD of 340.
Again, this may be a purposeful choice but I just figured I would point it out. Thanks!

Zoroark's Origin: a Barghest, not a Kitsune

So when I first read the Barghest's entry in Dungeons and Dragons I immediately thought of Zoroark.

A dark, canine, shapeshifting creature. Fits pretty much.

However I wasn't really convinced until I saw its entry on Wikipedia.

In Northern English folklore, the Barghest or Barguest is a mythical monstrous black dog with large teeth and claws, though in other cases the name can refer to a ghost or household elf, especially in Northumberland and Durham, such as the Cauld Lad of Hylton.

One notable case is said to frequent a remote gorge named Troller's Gill in the Yorkshire Dales, Yorkshire, England. A ballad entitled "The Legend of the Troller's Gill" can be found in William Hone's Everyday Book (1830). It recounts the tale of a man who ventures forth "to the horrid gill of the limestone hill" in order to summon and confront the Barghest in an act of ritual magic. The man's lifeless body is discovered soon after with inhuman marks upon his breast. There is also a story of a Barghest entering the city of York occasionally where, according to legend, it preys on lone travellers in the city's narrow Snickelways. Whitby is also associated with the spectre.
In the 1870s a shapeshifting Barghest was said to live near Darlington and was said to take the form of a headless man (who would vanish in flames), a headless lady, a white cat, a rabbit, a dog, or a black dog. Another was said to live in an "uncannie-looking" dale between Darlington and Houghton near Throstlenest, and yet another haunted an area of wasteland between Wreghorn and Headingley Hill near Leeds.
The Barghest often serves as an omen of death. At the passing of a notable person the Barghest may appear, followed by all the other dogs of the local area in a kind of funeral procession, heralding the person's death with howling and barking. If anyone were to get in the Barghest's way it would strike out with its paw and leave a wound that never heals.
Besides taking the form of a large black dog with fiery eyes, it may also become invisible and walk about with the sound of rattling chains. It may also foretell the death of an individual by laying across the threshold of his or her house, and like the vampire the Barghest is unable to cross rivers.
In the tales cited by the wikipedia page, the Barghest's portrayal and behavior seems to be very similar to Zoroark's portrayal and behavior in its own movie.

It seems to fit Zoroark waaaaaaay better than the kitsume motif, especially given that the Barghest is a western myth and Unova is a western-inspired region, whereas the kitsune is an eastern myth and more fitting for the eastern-inspired regions like Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh.

Not to mention that the kitsune is already represented by Ninetales.

I wonder if the Galar region's name is related to the Welsh legendary dog Gelert?

Gelert (Welsh pronunciation: [ˈɡɛlɛrt]) is a legendary dog associated with the village of Beddgelert (whose name means "Gelert's Grave") in Gwynedd, north-west Wales [1]. In the legend, Llywelyn the Great returns from hunting to find his baby missing, the cradle overturned, and Gelert with a blood-smeared mouth. Believing the dog had savaged the child, Llywelyn draws his sword and kills Gelert. After the dog's dying yelp Llywelyn hears the cries of the baby, unharmed under the cradle, along with a dead wolf which had attacked the child and been killed by Gelert. Llywelyn is overcome with remorse and buries the dog with great ceremony, but can still hear its dying yelp. After that day Llywelyn never smiles again. The story is a variation on the "Faithful Hound" folk-tale motif, which lives on as an urban legend.

The pronunciation on both is very similar, and Galar is protected by two legendary dogs. Maybe is there some other reference that better matches Galar?

This has been posted on the category's main talk page but I thought I'd post it here too as it's going to have to be addressed soon.

Under the category 'Episodes in which a Champion appears', all of the episodes of Sun and Moon since SM139 (Satoshi's victory over Gladion) have been counted... are we really counting a league champion like Satoshi along the likes of Shirona or Adeku? Because if we are, then the whole category becomes meaningless from this point on as Satoshi will be in every episode and it might as well be retired.

Thing in, the category has never counted league champions before. None of Alan's post-league XY episodes count. I do think there's a significant difference between a League Champion and a Pokemon Champion/Champion Master, so Satoshi's episodes shouldn't really be counted in this IMO.
I think that the rest of Sun & Moon's episodes should count, but not the new series. I mean technically Ash has been a champion since the Orange League arc, but those weren't counted. After the new series starts I think Ash might be "reset" again, in which case we shouldn't count those episodes.

As seen on this page, I'm curious as to why the sprites for Gen 8 Pokemon seem to be larger than others when they seem to be the same size in terms of the actual sprite itself. It's really jarring. They are also centered where the others aren't. Is there a way to fix this? Something I could do?

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I'd like to propose the idea of splitting the 'Items' section on location pages by generation.

Particularly for locations featured in many games (looking at you, Kanto), such as Mt. Moon - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia, trying to manually filter which items are relevant to the game you are looking at can be a nightmare. The items are arranged vaguely in the order you might come across them, but only if you were playing every game simultaneously. Seems unintuitive, and it might as well be completely random to a reader unfamiliar with the area in question.

Chances are, people looking at this information are looking for the particular game they are playing at the moment. I believe the readability would be much higher, and as well as this, it would be consistent with the format for the 'Pokémon' and 'Trainer' sections.

The only reason I can see for not doing this would be that sometimes the items featured in one area are mirrored in its remake, so two sections might look a little copy-pasted. I'd counter that by arguing that readability and consistency are more important, and that many locations have the same item in a slightly different placement across generations. This means that the author has to either describe the item's location vaguely enough that it can be applied to both generations, or create two separate entries for what is effectively the same item.

I'm not sure if this has ever been suggested during Bulbapedia's history, but would it be worth having pages for the regional birds (Pidgey, Hoothoot, Taillow, Starly, Pidove, Fletchling, Pikipek, and Rookidee), Normal-types (Rattata, Sentret, Zigzagoon, Bidoof, Patrat, Bunnelby, Yungoos, and Skwovet), Bug-types (Caterpie/Weedle, Ledyba/Spinarak, Wurmple, Kricketot, Sewaddle/Venipede, Scatterbug, Grubbin, and Blipbug), and Pikachu clones (Pikachu, Marill, Plusle/Minun, Pachirisu, Emolga, Dedenne, Togedemaru, Morpeko) that have become a staple of each generation? I'm not sure what those respective pages would be titled because there is no consistent term used for them within the fanbase.

Also, has it ever been proposed to add each Pokémon's cry to their respective infobox?

I'm not sure if this has ever been suggested during Bulbapedia's history, but would it be worth having pages for the regional birds (Pidgey, Hoothoot, Taillow, Starly, Pidove, Fletchling, Pikipek, and Rookidee), Normal-types (Rattata, Sentret, Zigzagoon, Bidoof, Patrat, Bunnelby, Yungoos, and Skwovet), Bug-types (Caterpie/Weedle, Ledyba/Spinarak, Wurmple, Kricketot, Sewaddle/Venipede, Scatterbug, Grubbin, and Blipbug), and Pikachu clones (Pikachu, Marill, Plusle/Minun, Pachirisu, Emolga, Dedenne, Togedemaru, Morpeko) that have become a staple of each generation? I'm not sure what those respective pages would be titled because there is no consistent term used for them within the fanbase.
There's a section for them in Fan Terminology. Appendix:Fan terminology - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom