• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

To reiterate what TechSkylander1518 said, I don't see a need for adding a "last four moves" listing. Not only is it redundant, but such a listing doesn't guarantee that all four moves were used in a close timespan and could potentially mislead people into assuming certain moves were used in close proximity, and/or are part of the Pokémon's current moveset when there's no confirmation of that.

One thing that I strongly suggest is to add an Opinion/Fandom Reception Section in each page for any Major Mainline Pokemon Game/Anime/Character that details how the fandom reacted or received such things. I am not talking about critic reception (*such as IGN, Famitsu Reviews) but how the Fandom Consensus reacted. I don't think the Dex Controversy is even mentioned in the SwSh page.

One thing that I strongly suggest is to add an Opinion/Fandom Reception Section in each page for any Major Mainline Pokemon Game/Anime/Character that details how the fandom reacted or received such things. I am not talking about critic reception (*such as IGN, Famitsu Reviews) but how the Fandom Consensus reacted. I don't think the Dex Controversy is even mentioned in the SwSh page.
I'd argue that there's no such thing as the "Fandom Consensus" as evident by how fractured the fandom is over Dexit and SwSh. For example, during SwSh's prelease cycle, the subreddit r/pokemon was very negative towards the games and hostile to those that held a positive or even neutral opinion while r/PokemonSwordAndShield was the exact opposite. Bulbagarden was more in-between methinks. It would probably be very difficult to present an unbiased Opinion/Fandom Reception Section that accurately encompasses the diversity of opinions on a particular subject that doesn't paint with broad strokes. Honestly, I think a Fandom Reception Section would be written from a more hardcore fan's point of view, which is narrow, and would probably have issues with edit wars, bias, broad-brushing, etc. Ultimately, I don't think such a section should be included in the wiki as it's just asking for trouble.

It'd be kind of hard to have a fandom consensus, though, wouldn't it? Pokemon's a game with millions of players, and they all have their own opinions.

I've noticed that a lot of the DreamWorld artwork for the gen 8 Pokémon isn't of the best quality. Many images are comparably tiny, pixeled, and occasionally have traces of white along the outlines.
818Inteleon_Dream.png
843Silicobra_Dream.png
870Falinks_Dream.png
884Duraludon_Dream.png
Here's Pikachu's DreamWorld artwork for comparison:
025Pikachu_Dream.png
There's a noticeable difference in quality between the gen 1-7 DreamWorld artworks and the gen 8 artwork. Originally, I thought this was because the source of gen 8 DreamWorld artwork wasn't the best in quality, however, I've found that Wikidex has very nice DreamWorld artwork for many gen 8 Pokémon that looks more in line with the DreamWorld artwork for the previous generations.
Inteleon_%28dream_world%29.png
Silicobra_%28dream_world%29.png
Falinks_%28dream_world%29.png
Duraludon_%28dream_world%29_2.png
I am uncertain what the protocol is for using material from other Pokémon wikis, but at the very least these images show that it is possible to obtain high-quality DreamWorld artwork for some of the gen 8 Pokémon.

Basically, I think the gen 8 DreamWorld artworks should be updated.

Wikipedia has controversy sections on certain articles, but for all I know, they could be edit war magnets.

Also, I kind of want to start clearing up awkward trivia, such as "Rookidee and Corvisquire are the only non-legendary pure Flying-type Pokémon" (overly-narrow superlative) and "Toxel is the only baby Pokémon that hasn't appeared in the anime" (Gen 8 is still young, and I'm pretty sure it's not an evolution of Porygon).

I've also suggested making the generation articles about more than just the core series several times, but this section is dead.
Generation _ is the _th set of Pokémon media. Blah blah blah...

Advances in gameplay
- The addition of XYZ new Pokémon, bringing the total to ZZZ.
- The addition of XY new moves.
- A new mechanic.
- Blah blah blah

Core series
The _th generation began with the release of Pokémon Blank and Placeholder on the Nintendo Hypothetical. They take place in the Whatever region, where the player must stop Team Antagonist from destroying the world. They were later followed by an enhanced version, Pokémon Gaps.

Spinoff games
The _th generation had the first installment of Spinoff Series A. In addition, Spinoff Series B got a sequel.

Anime
Main article: Pokémon the Series: Blank and Placeholder

The _th series of the anime featured Ash Ketchum exploring the Whatever region with Female Companion and Male Companion. It also had X movies.

Manga
Main article: Pokémon Adventures: Blank & Placeholder Chapter
Blah blah blah...

Why are the manual of style pages for games redlinks?

Also, why is the archive version of this thread still stickied? I've gotten it mixed up with this one.

uhhhhhh, did the page get griefed or something like that?
EDIT: nevermind, the site is just under maintenance.

Last edited:
Does anybody happen to know why available Pokemon in Generation 8 don't have their respective in-game appearances on their Bulbapedia pages with the rest of the generations, despite at least some of the images being available? Would it be alright for me to add them?

Does anybody happen to know why available Pokemon in Generation 8 don't have their respective in-game appearances on their Bulbapedia pages with the rest of the generations, despite at least some of the images being available? Would it be alright for me to add them?

Hey! I'm far from in the know or an expert, but if you're specifically asking why the sprite images aren't shown on their pages,
Last year, I thought I remembered reading in the Discord that Gen 8 images were too bulky and would slow down page loading. ...At least, that's what I believe I read.

Ok, here's quoting from Discord #bulbapedia channel:
2020-Mar-15, wow

Spriteit
@[] most of the models are currently on our archives, we are waiting for some server updates before we can display them on pages

Evelyn Ciara
Where can we find the models on Archives?(edited)

Spriteit
I believe the category is Generation VIII models
Alternately, go via a pokemon category and it should be listed in there along with the category to the rest of them

Ruixiang95
Category:Sword and Shield models - Bulbagarden Archives

[...]

Evelyn Ciara
Oh, I thought there were 3D model files.

Spriteit
ohhhh Nnooo, we don't have the ability to host those sorts of files

You'd need to have your own model viewer and see if places like Models Resource (Search - The Models Resource) to download them

Hello! Would this be the place to put suggestions on the origins of certain Pokemon that are not covered in their articles. I don't feel comfortable editing the articles myself as someone whose never edited a wiki before. Though I also don't want to throw two paragraphs on what and why I think these Pokemon are based on these things in the wrong Thread.

Hello! Would this be the place to put suggestions on the origins of certain Pokemon that are not covered in their articles. I don't feel comfortable editing the articles myself as someone whose never edited a wiki before. Though I also don't want to throw two paragraphs on what and why I think these Pokemon are based on these things in the wrong Thread.
Technically I’d say yes, but what I’ve seen, very few Bulbapedia editors are very active on here. Honestly, the best place for origin suggestions would be the discussion page for that particular Pokémon, though I can understand why you might be hesitant to post there.

Alright then, well, here I go I guess. My suggestions for additions to the Origin sections of the Trivia of current Pokemon.
If you know the of myth, then it's almost undoubtable that Boltund and Thievul, along with their respective preevolutions, are based on Laelaps and the Teumessian Fox. And I'm very surprised it's not mentioned in their article's because I know there's someone on the wiki that knows of the myth because it's mentioned in Zacian's and Zamazenta's origins. For those who don't know, it's a Greek myth about a giant fox sent by the gods to terrorize Thebes. This fox was destined to never be able to be caught. In order to try to stop the Teumessian Fox, Laelaps, a hunting dog that was destined to catch whatever it chases, was sent after it. However, the two destinies caused a paradox, so they were turned to stone and sent into the stars as the Canis Constellations. As more evidence than just being two staged Pokemon released in the same generation as to their relation, one of Thievul's Pokedex explicitly states that Boltund is it's natural enemy. Their connection to the myth can be further seen in their Typings and their Abilities. Laelaps was said to be a gift from Zeus, god of thunder, and well Boltund is an Electric type, while the Teumessian Fox was just generally malicious, fitting with the Dark Type. Yamper's ability, Ball Fetch helps with catching Pokemon, while Nickit's and Thievul's ability, Run Away, helps with evading capture.
I believe the Dragapult line may take some inspirations from Gremlins. Gremlins are mischievous folkloric creatures that were blamed for unexplainable malfunctions in aircrafts, with it's tales originating from United Kingdom's Royal Air Force during World War II. Though there's no definitive design for Gremlins, but there are two main categories, the early ones which are a bit like little elves and gnomes seen in World War II posters and the Roald Dahl and Disney book, The Gremlins, and the modern take, small greenish goblin-like creature with large pointy ears, and sometimes a bit reptilian and aquatic, with the most popular design being that of Gremlins (1984). It's so popular in fact it's hard finding any other designs from a Google search. It's this more modern take that I believe the Dragapult line takes it's inspirations from, being well greenish, reptilian, and aquatic, along with their crests somewhat resembling those large pointed ears. So I think there should a little "This pokemon may also take some inspirations from Gremlins, creatures of folklore that were blamed for malfunctions in aircrafts" at the end.

Respectfully, in my opinion both your origins seem like a stretch as they don't really have much of a connection to myths and gremlins respectively. In both cases, I think the connections would be much more obvious if these Pokémon were truly inspired by them.
If you know the of myth, then it's almost undoubtable that Boltund and Thievul, along with their respective preevolutions, are based on Laelaps and the Teumessian Fox. And I'm very surprised it's not mentioned in their article's because I know there's someone on the wiki that knows of the myth because it's mentioned in Zacian's and Zamazenta's origins. For those who don't know, it's a Greek myth about a giant fox sent by the gods to terrorize Thebes. This fox was destined to never be able to be caught. In order to try to stop the Teumessian Fox, Laelaps, a hunting dog that was destined to catch whatever it chases, was sent after it. However, the two destinies caused a paradox, so they were turned to stone and sent into the stars as the Canis Constellations. As more evidence than just being two staged Pokemon released in the same generation as to their relation, one of Thievul's Pokedex explicitly states that Boltund is it's natural enemy. Their connection to the myth can be further seen in their Typings and their Abilities. Laelaps was said to be a gift from Zeus, god of thunder, and well Boltund is an Electric type, while the Teumessian Fox was just generally malicious, fitting with the Dark Type. Yamper's ability, Ball Fetch helps with catching Pokemon, while Nickit's and Thievul's ability, Run Away, helps with evading capture.
I don't think this is the case. None of the two lines ever reference or hint at the legend, and any attributes that you credit to the myth have much more simple and obvious origins; Occam's razor suggests these are the actual inspirations. The Thievel line's Dark type can be explained by the fact that foxes are commonly depicted as sneaky tricksters in folklore, which is very fitting for the Dark type. Not to mention that Thievel and Nickit are based on thieves; this, along with the two lines' references to fox hunting, are probably also the reason why they have Run Away as an ability. Boltund appears to be based on hounds that hunt foxes, hence why it is Thievel's natural enemy, and Yamper's ability is obviously just a reference to the fact that dogs like to play fetch.

However, I will say that there is enough of a possible connection between the Electric typing of Boltund's line and Lealaps being a gift from Zeus, in my opinion.
I believe the Dragapult line may take some inspirations from Gremlins. Gremlins are mischievous folkloric creatures that were blamed for unexplainable malfunctions in aircrafts, with it's tales originating from United Kingdom's Royal Air Force during World War II. Though there's no definitive design for Gremlins, but there are two main categories, the early ones which are a bit like little elves and gnomes seen in World War II posters and the Roald Dahl and Disney book, The Gremlins, and the modern take, small greenish goblin-like creature with large pointy ears, and sometimes a bit reptilian and aquatic, with the most popular design being that of Gremlins (1984). It's so popular in fact it's hard finding any other designs from a Google search. It's this more modern take that I believe the Dragapult line takes it's inspirations from, being well greenish, reptilian, and aquatic, along with their crests somewhat resembling those large pointed ears. So I think there should a little "This pokemon may also take some inspirations from Gremlins, creatures of folklore that were blamed for malfunctions in aircrafts" at the end.
The Dragapult line shares nothing in common with gremlins outside of a connection to aircraft. Lore-wise, nothing about them suggests a penchant for mischief, the core motif of a gremlin, and design-wise the line bears no resemblance to the very humanoid gremlins, even the movie-ones, being more animal-shaped. And, they're most likely not meant to be reptiles; judging by their boomerang-shaped head, body shape, and Dreepy's reference to once living in prehistoric seas, it appears that the line is inspired by the extinct amphibian Diplocaulus.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom