• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Archives Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Just noticed that both Weavile and Froslass are referred as being the fastest Ice-type Pokémon on their respective trivia, although Weavile's base speed is higher than Froslass' so it should only point Weavile as the fastest Ice-type.

Just noticed that both Weavile and Froslass are referred as being the fastest Ice-type Pokémon on their respective trivia, although Weavile's base speed is higher than Froslass' so it should only point Weavile as the fastest Ice-type.

This thread is about the Bulbagarden Archives, not Bulbapedia. For Bulbapedia issues, you need to use this thread.

The Bulbagarden Archives are now unlocked for standard business. Please note that editing and uploading regarding Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2 sprites are still restricted until such time as the Archives site notice says otherwise. Please remember to add proper summaries, licensing, and categories to all uploads, as well as to follow all Archives policies.

We thank all of our contributors for being patient with the temporary upload & edit lock.

Right now I have 2 ideas:

-For the navigation in all the Bulbagarden websites to be easier, I suggest that now, whenever a user logs in one of the websites, he/she also becomes automaticaly logged in all of the other sites from the Bulbagarden network in which an account was made (well, the problem is that the passwords may be different for all of the accounts, so here is my solution: from now on, it would be mandatory to always have the same password. For the ones who already have more than one Bulbagarden account, the first login screen since this update would ask the user if he/she wants the update for his/her account. If the person replies "yes", then the screen would tell the player to first change the passwords in a way they could be the same, after they log in those accounts. Problem solved, right?);

-I think this second idea is really mandatory if we want Bulbapedia to keep being an amazing Pokémon wiki: There should be an update to the Archives, so that after that all the basic music formats would be supported. Result: Everything you can imagine! Everytime there's an article talking about something in Pokémon that has a specific music, without any need of a normal video (specialy the ones about locations), instead of being there text-only descriptions, the music would be displayed in order to end all the doubts. Wouldn't that be amazing?

@gaspershut has been doing a fine job uploading animated trainer sprites, but I think that some sprites, such as the new Plasma Grunts, should have separate, non-animated sprites for use with templates such as [bp]Template:Trainerentry[/bp] to reduce loading time on the pages they're used on.

I just want to ask again.. if these maps would be ok to upload over the current B2W2 maps?

Example:
Accumula.png

I've already done them all so it's just a matter of uploading them...

Last edited by a moderator:
@s2daam; Area highlighted town map files should use the highlight style from the Area function of the Pokédex.
@TheOriginalOne; This really is more than just Archives related. The three wikis in the Bulbawiki Network already have unified login. We looked into such merging with the BMGf, but it's just not really something we're able to do at this time.
@Chosen of Mana; That may be something to look into.

Last edited:
@TheOriginalOne; This really is more than just Archives related. The three wikis in the Bulbawiki Network already have unified login. We looked into such merging with the BMGf, but it's just not really something we're able to do at this time.

What do you mean with that??? I still have to log in multiple times, I don't know if you got it. Also, don't forget to analyse the idea of supporting music files on the archives.

What do you mean with that??? I still have to log in multiple times, I don't know if you got it. Also, don't forget to analyse the idea of supporting music files on the archives.
Are you selecting the "remember me" box?

Glad to see that the Archives have been unlocked. :yawn:

However, I've noticed a problem with the File description pages: The links under "Global file usage" do not work (Look here for an example). They point to the archives itself rather than to the main wiki, where they appear to be intended to point to.

@TheOriginalOne; Far too many copyright issues with music files. If we're going to use any sound files, we'd likely have to limit such to Pokémon cries. As for unified wiki login, you may need to try using [bp=Special:MergeAccount]the account merger tool[/bp] on Bulbapedia, as well as select the option to remember your login when you log in.
@Luigi-San; We're quite aware of the issue regarding Global File usage, but we're currently unable to find the cause of the problem. However, the issues will be fixed when we're able to do so.

@TheOriginalOne; Far too many copyright issues with music files. If we're going to use any sound files, we'd likely have to limit such to Pokémon cries.

Are you really sure that, contrary to in wikipedia, it's impossible??? I'm saying this because it's not as little important as you say: I'm also thinking about location and battle musics on the wiki (those would be REALLY helpful!). Other ones would be possible, like the music that plays when a certain trainer challenges the player, or specific themes that only play for one important person (example:Eusine's music). All in all, I think music on bulbapedia would be as important as on wikipedia. So, do the copyright issues still not compensate (and are they really such a big thing?) ?

@TheOriginalOne; Far too many copyright issues with music files. If we're going to use any sound files, we'd likely have to limit such to Pokémon cries.

Are you really sure that, contrary to in wikipedia, it's impossible??? I'm saying this because it's not as little important as you say: I'm also thinking about location and battle musics on the wiki (those would be REALLY helpful!). Other ones would be possible, like the music that plays when a certain trainer challenges the player, or specific themes that only play for one important person (example:Eusine's music). All in all, I think music on bulbapedia would be as important as on wikipedia. So, do the copyright issues still not compensate (and are they really such a big thing?) ?

Most music files are (or should be) only about 20-30 seconds in length due to copyright issues, so this would only encompass the cries as you mentioned above. The only exceptions to this are things released under a public license (which essentially anything released officially, is not)

Most music files are (or should be) only about 20-30 seconds in length due to copyright issues, so this would only encompass the cries as you mentioned above. The only exceptions to this are things released under a public license (which essentially anything released officially, is not)

Why do you all keep saying we need a license, when we could just:
*Pick our game;
*Put ourselves in a situation in which the desired music would play;
*Record the music as a video and publish in on youtube (many people have already done every step until this one)
*Now, if we use the youtubevid template, the pictures will also be shown, so we'll have to filter them by going to this website, and download the video just as a music file;
*Re-upload it to the archives with this feature that you're always denying.

???
So, we won't need to ask anyone for copyright, because it's easy as this. Now, if you still say something else about copyright... if people can publish the musics on youtube, why can't we upload them to the archives???

So, we won't need to ask anyone for copyright, because it's easy as this. Now, if you still say something else about copyright... if people can publish the musics on youtube, why can't we upload them to the archives???
Because all that music on YT is technically illegal, unless specifically allowed to publish by certain parties, and 90-99% of people who upload said music do not have that permission.

Just because it's on the internet don't mean it's legal.

Just because it's on the internet don't mean it's legal.
By the way you're speaking, people could also say that the youtubevid template is illegal, right? Oh yeah, does wikipedia have any great problems when it comes to that? And who said that Game Freak minds when it's used on a wiki? Maybe they recognize that it is important for people to have access to that on this website, because they rely on it. We have to be sure. Even if there's copyright involved, maybe some authorized video authors were also authorized to give the publish the video in other places... maybe with this feature! If nothing is true... come on, how much would it cost to bulbagarden just to ask for some musics???

Hi. I have an idea that I feel would be a helpful addition to many pages - audio pronunciation (may or may not accompany text pronunciation). This could be useful on certain Pokemon pages, for example. I'm experienced enough with the MediaWiki software to create the needed template myself, and with my accentless Midland American voice, I can do legible recordings as well. Is this a desired project?

Hi. I have an idea that I feel would be a helpful addition to many pages - audio pronunciation (may or may not accompany text pronunciation). This could be useful on certain Pokemon pages, for example. I'm experienced enough with the MediaWiki software to create the needed template myself, and with my accentless Midland American voice, I can do legible recordings as well. Is this a desired project?

Pronounciations cause too much debate. People can't agree on the correct one, even within official Nintendo sources. Heck, some Pokemon the anime alone has given us two different pronounciations. Also, I feel the need to point out that "Accentless" is highly subjective.

Relevant to both the previous suggestions, last time we tried to upload a sound file, the server crashed, taking the bulbawikis down for hours. I have also heard reports of the sound files on Wikipedia crashing people's fully updated browsers. We're not even considering them at this stage, and if we do in future, we'll have to be pretty sure that they're not going to do the same thing.

Finally, @TheOriginalOne; you completely missed the point. Obviously not everything on Youtube is illegal, or the whole site would have been shut down long ago. That doesn't mean that people don't upload illegal stuff. Something being on Youtube doesn't mean it's legal, it just means that someone who has internet access has it in some form. That's why videos are often removed for copyright violations. If someone was to use the Youtube video template to share, for example, a full episode of the anime, then yes, it would be illegal and the person that did it would be in big trouble. A recording of someone performing a glitch on the other hand is a legitimate use of the template, and isn't a problem.

Also, in response to your "Who says Game Freak minds" comment. . . we don't know. If they don't mind and we put it up then nothing happens. If they do mind and we put it up, they are well within their rights to shut the entire site down. We cannot put something up just because there is a possibility that they might not mind.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom