• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Archives Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Re: Official Bulbagarden Archives suggestion/idea/problem thread

I've noticed recently that multiple Dreamworld artworks are in a very low resolution. Can you please find and upload higher resolution ones when you have the chance? Thanks!

Unfortunately, most of the Global Link artwork uploaded is as high resolution as publicly available. If there was higher resolution available, it would of probably been found and uploaded by now. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
Well that sucks, but I guess we'll see.

Hiya Archives people,

I want to make an important change but I would like permission to do this first: The Red and Blue art is mislabeled as Red and Green, and vice versa.

My evidence for this mistake is here in this thread: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f226/red-blue-sugimori-art-172497

I would like to switch the categories. Is it okay to do this? Is there anything that I should know about editing categories beforehand? I don't have a lot of experience with wikis but I would like to address this issue because many people take information from Bulbapedia/the Archives at first glance, and it would be better to have it be correct.

I also have Red and Green high quality art to upload, but I haven't made enough proper edits to be allowed to do this, so probably if I can change the categories then I would have made enough edits to start posting them.

Thanks!

I suggest to move the {{gif}} template to {{giftopng}}, {{jpg}} template to {{jpgtopng}} and create a {{pngtogif}} template and {{giftojpg}}. Sometimes, .gif files are smaller than .png files. So that's why I think about my suggestion.

Hiya Archives people,

I want to make an important change but I would like permission to do this first: The Red and Blue art is mislabeled as Red and Green, and vice versa.

My evidence for this mistake is here in this thread: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f226/red-blue-sugimori-art-172497

I would like to switch the categories. Is it okay to do this? Is there anything that I should know about editing categories beforehand? I don't have a lot of experience with wikis but I would like to address this issue because many people take information from Bulbapedia/the Archives at first glance, and it would be better to have it be correct.

I also have Red and Green high quality art to upload, but I haven't made enough proper edits to be allowed to do this, so probably if I can change the categories then I would have made enough edits to start posting them.

Thanks!

We'd need a valid official source, such as a Japanese Red & Green guidebook containing the artwork (Or any official publication from before Blue was being revealed in Japan, which can be definitely dated back to having been created during the RG era) in order to completely change all of these from their current status. Since they would require file name changes as well as the category modifications, it would be a project that the staff would have to undertake.

I suggest to move the {{gif}} template to {{giftopng}}, {{jpg}} template to {{jpgtopng}} and create a {{pngtogif}} template and {{giftojpg}}. Sometimes, .gif files are smaller than .png files. So that's why I think about my suggestion.

Simply, no. There is absolutely no need for such changes, or the additional templates.

Simply, no. There is absolutely no need for such changes, or the additional templates.
Maybe the others aren't needed, except {{giftojpg}}. Because I saw many scans of the cover of a magazine. Search .gif in Archives. You will see two scans of the cover of a magazine in .gif.

Maybe the others aren't needed, except {{giftojpg}}. Because I saw many scans of the cover of a magazine. Search .gif in Archives. You will see two scans of the cover of a magazine in .gif.

They're scans from over 9 years ago, where we're lucky that we even have gif format files of them at this point. Should they be replaced with a file with a better format? Yeah, they probably should. Will we ever get lucky enough, 9 years later, to obtain a decent scan created by one of our contributors? Unfortunately, probably not.

Additionally, the {{bad image}} template exists exactly for this reason. Cases where the replacement rationale are very uncommon, or simply don't warrant having their own special template.

They're scans from over 9 years ago, where we're lucky that we even have gif format files of them at this point. Should they be replaced with a file with a better format? Yeah, they probably should. Will we ever get lucky enough, 9 years later, to obtain a decent scan created by one of our contributors? Unfortunately, probably not.

Additionally, the {{bad image}} template exists exactly for this reason. Cases where the replacement rationale are very uncommon, or simply don't warrant having their own special template.
I just read a webpage: JPG vs. GIF

It said that .jpg is best for photographs, while .gif is best for computer-generated images. Scans are computer-generated images. And, .gif will be best for images with less than 256 colors. Scans are mostly less than 256 colors. I don't know why .gif must be avoided, even though that file format is permitted. So I don't know who said .gif must be avoided. I know, animated images must be .png, but there is still an exception why .gif must still be needed. It is the scans. So {{giftojpg}}, down. {{jpgtogif}}, on. I hope you understand.

.jpg is commonly used for photos as it uses a blending-like effect to reduce the size, as photos tend to have colour gradients and areas of similar (but not identical) colours. It is however a "lossy" format, and that the decrease in file size is roughly proportional to a loss in quality. So a high quality jpg image will be very large, and a small jpg image will be full of artefacts. gif on the other hand works best for images with blocks of simple colours, and is a "lossless" format - image data isn't lost by the compression, and the original image can be (theoretically at least) reconstructed from the compressed image, but is limited to 256 colours. The "blocks of solid colour" is what it's referring to when it says computer-generated images. It's not talking about scans.

However that doesn't really matter, as the (newer) png format is a lossless format which can use more colours than gif, in addition to better transparency support and, in most cases, a smaller file. As the article you linked states, png is the best format for most online purposes. I do note that the article you linked is now a few years old, and the browser compatibility issues it calls the only reason to not use png online have now been fixed. png gives the best file size without loss of quality, and therefore is what we use.

Hey, how about if there will be a bot for Archives? Its purpose is to mark .jpg images needed to be converted to .png, .gif images needed to be converted to .png, marking the bad image template to other images, etc. I recommend to name this bot ArchivesBot.

Hey, how about if there will be a bot for Archives? Its purpose is to mark .jpg images needed to be converted to .png, .gif images needed to be converted to .png, marking the bad image template to other images, etc. I recommend to name this bot ArchivesBot.

And... How is this suggested bot supposed to discern which jpg & gif files need to be converted to png format and which ones don't, or how is it going to determine which files are "bad images" and need to be tagged?

I've brought up the topic before, but as we're in a relatively quiet time I thought I might bring it up again...

Cleaning up the movie artwork/covers/posters. The names for these files are all over the place and there's little consistency. You only have to look at the appropriate categories to see it.

Movie DVDs
File:M?? DVD JP.png
File:M?? DVD US.png
File:M?? DVD AUS.png
etc.

Movie Posters
File:M?? teaser poster.png (could be with JP but as these teaser posters are usually Japan exclusive probably not needed)
File:M?? teaser poster alt.png (for the instances where there are multiple teaser posters)
File:M?? poster [Poké] JP.png (for the instances where there are single Pokémon posters)
File:M?? poster JP.png OR File:M?? Japanese poster.png
File:M?? poster EN.png OR File:M?? English poster.png
File:M?? poster KOR.png OR File:M?? Korean poster.png
etc.

Movie Logos
File:M?? teaser logo.png
File:M?? logo JP.png
File:M?? logo EN.png
etc.

Pikachu the Movie Posters and the Pikachu the Movie movie logos
File:pikachu the Movie ?? poster.png
File:pikachu the Movie M??.png
etc.

Just suggestions. Obviously I'd be happy to do it if I had the privileges but I don't so...

Also, another topic I've brought up before, but the renaming of the RSE location maps so the ORAS maps can be uploaded in their place. I have all the maps ready to be uploaded still.

Last edited:
The Archives' bulb picture is noticeably darker than the actual one used for the full logo.
WGmU1NQ.png

I'm not sure what could be causing this (partial transparency, RGB/Gray-scale formats discrepancy, etc), but the Bulb picture doesn't look as dark on the full resolution version, though. The same problem happens with the notice bar picture, but this one doesn't look darker on the actual bar seen on the top of pages. This makes me think that the problem only happens when these pictures have their resolution lowered down on thumbnails (the notice bar uses the picture's full 1600 × 325 resolution, while the 840 × 840 bulb gets scaled down to 60px for the Main Pages' "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden" footnotes).
8X1Jr4h.png

The Archives' bulb picture is noticeably darker than the actual one used for the full logo.
WGmU1NQ.png

I'm not sure what could be causing this (partial transparency, RGB/Gray-scale formats discrepancy, etc), but the Bulb picture doesn't look as dark on the full resolution version, though. The same problem happens with the notice bar picture, but this one doesn't look darker on the actual bar seen on the top of pages. This makes me think that the problem only happens when these pictures have their resolution lowered down on thumbnails (the notice bar uses the picture's full 1600 × 325 resolution, while the 840 × 840 bulb gets scaled down to 60px for the Main Pages' "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden" footnotes).
8X1Jr4h.png

I noticed this issue almost instantly after uploading the updated bulb, but I have no idea why the large bulb is turning so heavily dark when it gets thumbnailed. We will try to fix it when we have the time, and the understanding as to why it's happening, but it's a relatively minor issue.

Thanks for the report!

EDIT: Issue has been diagnosed & remedied. The file should thumbnail with correct colors now, though thumbnails on Bulbapedia and Bulbanews may take some time to update.

Last edited:
Hey there. Actually I have a problem regarding the bulbapedia... somehow, the English in the pedia is hard to understand... it takes me a while to understand it... So, could you guys please use a simple english so that other readers other than me could understand it more clearly. hehehe... Peace Yo!

When Bulbapedia's wiki pages are viewed in a half-window (e.g. using windows-left or windows-right or aero snap functionality in general), the right-most part of the wiki page is uninteractible. Example:

Eevee (Pokémon) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

In the infobox on the right, right under EEVEE where it says Evolution Pokemon, the left half of the word 'evolution' functions as a hyperlink, but anywhere to the right of the letter i (anywhere on the page, not just the infobox) is uninteractible. If I expand the size of the window, more of the page on the right becomes interactible until eventually the ad frame reappears, and everything works again.

It definitely seems to be an issue with that ad frame on the right of the page interfering with clicking on stuff on the page when the webpage isn't viewed near full resolution.

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
This issue was noticed first in Chrome (version doesn't seem to matter), but the issue can be replicated in Edge and Firefox.

- How many do we have (amount=number+% of all of the type and all of existing) physical, special and stats moves of each of the existing types?

- To how many moves (amount+%) are some pokes immune (those with type and ability immunities)?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom