• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sugimori art redlinks

Bikini Miltank

A magical girl, transforming very slowly
Reaction score
Right now, Bulbanews has three high-traffic articles that look utterly broken. These are the articles on Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect.

Why do they look broken? Because all three have an ugly redlink in the infobox, where the as-yet-unreleased Sugimori art should be.

These redlinks have been there for months. We know that we're not going to get the art anytime soon: on past form, it could be two years before we have official art of Genesect. We need to do something in the interim, unless we want these pages to continue to look broken for years to come.

And we have a wealth of options. We could:

- Use unofficial art, as we did for Shaymin amd Arceus.
- Use sprites
- Use a plain white square, or just anything that would take the place of the redlink.

I've asked about this situation before. More than once, actually. Using unofficial art is apparently now out of the question, despite having been fine a few years ago. Well, fair enough, but what about the other options? Can somebody please make a decision?

Well, the page looks broken in its current state. Somebody, please show some leadership and actually make a decision.

Right now, Bulbapedia has three high-traffic articles that look utterly broken. These are the articles on Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect.

Fixed.

The wiki staff talked about using fan-made art a while back. Although I was in support, I think a majority of the team were opposed. With that in mind, I think the best thing to do would be to put the current sprite in the infobox (although I would still prefer a fan-made image given that it would be noted as such and that said image would have been specifically created for use on Bulbagarden).

I'm in favour of a fan-made image too, but above and beyond that, I just want us to do something. Right now, it feels like because we can't all agree on exactly how to proceed, we can't proceed at all. I just want something in place of that redlink, even if it's a blank white square.

I'm still in favor of sprites, or at least enlarged sprites that have been fan edited to smooth out the resulting gigantic pixels.

However, I would not be opposed to using a blank image to get rid of the ugly redlink. That redlink also means that when we do eventually get official art, it won't show up for several days after being uploaded due to that server synchronization problem.

I am really not a fan of using unofficial art, like how we used those fake sprites for Zoroark and Zorua pre-release; I think we should have just shrunk the artwork down to sprite size, then smoothed it (if necessary), or simply used the 000 sprite we used for later Pokémon.

They look absolutely fine to me. Originally I envisaged just using the sprites at their normal size, but having seen them blown up I think they're absolutely fine this way.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom