• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sugimori Artwork

I guess this should go here.

Is Cheren official artwork really made by Ken Sugimori? While i was looking at this card I found that it says "Illus. Yus***", and not "Illus. Ken Sugimori", which Araragi's card from the same TCG set does say.

Same case as the Rocket executives in HGSS, perhaps?

Is Cheren official artwork really made by Ken Sugimori? While i was looking at this card I found that it says "Illus. Yus***", and not "Illus. Ken Sugimori", which Araragi's card from the same TCG set does say.

It sure looks like Sugimori's style. Perhaps the "Yus***" person made the background?

It sure looks like Sugimori's style. Perhaps the "Yus***" person made the background?
They never name illustrators when they just do the background. Most Sugimori Art I see on TCG usually have a very different style in the back ground.

I don't know why its so hard to just accept someone else drew it. Yeah, it looks like his art style, but even fan artists can copy it.

To be fair, Sugimori is probably busy drawing the actual Pokémon. That was probably why someone else drew the HGSS characters to, as Gen V was being developed back then.

Looks like Cheren's artwork may have been drawn by Yusuke Ohmura. [bp=Category:Illus._by_Yusuke_Ohmura]Here's his TCG category on Bulbapedia[/bp]. Come to think of it, while I can tell that the player characters and Prof. Araragi are definitely Sugimori's work, I now believe the majority of the human characters in BW were drawn by Mr. Ohmura.

I'll put the explanation in a spoiler tag, as it's a tad wordy:
I knew something was a little off with a lot of the human character artwork this time. It's not as blatantly obvious as Takao Unno's artwork of the HGSS Rockets, but I still had my doubts about it being Sugimori's work.

Not only does just the shading look slightly different (which I probably the only one who notices), but the faces look different as well; for instance Belle, Arti, Fuuro, and Iris all have the same pseudo-"overbite" which I've never seen in any of Sugimori's artwork. Also, while Sugimori has drawn his characters' eyes progressively wider over the past decade (compare RS to DP to HGSS to BW), they don't look nearly as wide/round as Fuuro's or Iris's eyes.

Finally, I noticed some of their bodies (such as Arti, Kamitsure and the female Plasma grunt) appear to be drawn differently from how Sugimori typically draws them; that is, they don't quite have the "angled" look that characters drawn by Sugimori typically have.
Now this isn't to say that I'm bothered by a different artist taking over from Sugimori. I'm actually more bothered by how this Toho plastered that huge watermark over all the illustrators' names. I mean, couldn't Toho have put it over a corner of the card artwork instead? :disgust:

Last edited:
The HGSS Rocket Admins weren't done by Sugimori? Other BW characters, too? D8 Whoa, I never knew that! I certainly can't see a difference between the artwork, either...

Thank you guys, especially Quagbert.

Another "Isshu" :lol::

Remember this picture?

Well, everybody always said (the people I talked to) "oh wow, Sugimori, that Subway battle scene is great, you always amaze us with your great work and blablablabla..." The moment I saw it, it caught my attention. There was this feeling, that this was NOT done by Sugimori. I felt it was done by the guy who drew this scene and this artwork.

I could be mistaken, so any help would be appreciated. :)

Does anyone know where the high-res official artwork comes from?, like the ones that have been uploaded recently. And why some of them, like oddly Kenhorou, don't have them?

If we haven't received hi-res Sugimori artwork by now, it'll probably be not for a very long time. D8; I do hope we see some soon, though. When the "artwork" we currently have is barely bigger than 200 pixels, then you know we got a problem.

Looks like Cheren's artwork may have been drawn by Yusuke Ohmura. [bp=Category:Illus._by_Yusuke_Ohmura]Here's his TCG category on Bulbapedia[/bp]. Come to think of it, while I can tell that the player characters and Prof. Araragi are definitely Sugimori's work, I now believe the majority of the human characters in BW were drawn by Mr. Ohmura.

I'll put the explanation in a spoiler tag, as it's a tad wordy:
I knew something was a little off with a lot of the human character artwork this time. It's not as blatantly obvious as Takao Unno's artwork of the HGSS Rockets, but I still had my doubts about it being Sugimori's work.

Not only does just the shading look slightly different (which I probably the only one who notices), but the faces look different as well; for instance Belle, Arti, Fuuro, and Iris all have the same pseudo-"overbite" which I've never seen in any of Sugimori's artwork. Also, while Sugimori has drawn his characters' eyes progressively wider over the past decade (compare RS to DP to HGSS to BW), they don't look nearly as wide/round as Fuuro's or Iris's eyes.

Finally, I noticed some of their bodies (such as Arti, Kamitsure and the female Plasma grunt) appear to be drawn differently from how Sugimori typically draws them; that is, they don't quite have the "angled" look that characters drawn by Sugimori typically have.
Now this isn't to say that I'm bothered by a different artist taking over from Sugimori. I'm actually more bothered by how this Toho plastered that huge watermark over all the illustrators' names. I mean, couldn't Toho have put it over a corner of the card artwork instead? :disgust:
Actually I was noticing a bit of a change to, mostly with the gym leaders, I thought it was just another shift in art style.

Though, Kamitsure not being angled, as you say, probably has to do more with her character being a super model.

Thank you guys, especially Quagbert.

Another "Isshu" :lol::

Remember this picture?

Well, everybody always said (the people I talked to) "oh wow, Sugimori, that Subway battle scene is great, you always amaze us with your great work and blablablabla..." The moment I saw it, it caught my attention. There was this feeling, that this was NOT done by Sugimori. I felt it was done by the guy who drew this scene and this artwork.
I could be mistaken, so any help would be appreciated. :)

Come to think of it, the Battle Subway and Arceus scenes you mentioned both look like Ohmura's work. Not sure about that last one of Arceus by itself, though.

I'm sort of ignorant as to who draws what, so I apologize if this isn't part of Sugimori's métier, but is there any art out there of the Pokemon League building? From what screenshoots are floating around, it looks pretty spectacular and I know that there's occasionally official art for story locations.

I expect that there probably won't be, since I don't remember seeing any for the previous games, but it doens't hurt to ask.

I'm sort of ignorant as to who draws what, so I apologize if this isn't part of Sugimori's métier, but is there any art out there of the Pokemon League building? From what screenshoots are floating around, it looks pretty spectacular and I know that there's occasionally official art for story locations.

I expect that there probably won't be, since I don't remember seeing any for the previous games, but it doens't hurt to ask.

If there will be any, we'll get those sometime in April or in the strategy guide.

Just figured this would be relevant enough to post here, I just found a tweet on Ken Sugimori's Twitter page that, if my Japanese isn't failing me, confirms that Mr. Ohmura was responsible for the official artwork of the Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Champion (Adeku), Cheren, Bel/Bianca, and the Team Plasma grunts.

I wonder, does that also include the live caster sprites for Bel and Cheren?

In any case, I had a feeling he'd taken a back seat to someone else this time around. While Ohmura made a valiant attempt at making the character fit in with the established 'look' of the franchise (Seriously, they can sit next to older characters and not look out of place at all), there are still a lot of tell-tale signs that seperate his art from Sugimori's. The cute 'overbites' some of the girls have is a pretty big one.

I don't mind it though. I think his art is awesome too.

That's not a bad idea, new blood gives a feeling of freshness. As awesome as Sugimori's artstyle is, having differing ones is excellent to.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom