• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sugimori Artwork

lol, I was on bulbapedia and went on to the page for Washiban and was like; "YAY! artwork finaly. Um, what the?"

I like the dream world art but sugimori is just so much more realistic. Plus, dream world looks to childish in my opinion. Still though i'm glad we have something.

The Dream World artwork looks to bright. Me prefers the toned down Suigmori art. :)

Ken Sugimori's art is realistic? How does watercolors of colorful funny monsters look realistic?

DOESN'T COMPUTE!!

Ken Sugimori's art is realistic? How does watercolors of colorful funny monsters look realistic?

DOESN'T COMPUTE!!

Well, it still looks like a drawing, but it looks more like a drawing of a real animal; as if he's drawing it from life. I think that's what they're getting at.

Well, it still looks like a drawing, but it looks more like a drawing of a real animal; as if he's drawing it from life. I think that's what they're getting at.

I sorta know what you're trying to get at, but I don't think that's right exactly...

You see, the Pokémon games, especially the main games, follow a certain artstyle: Sugimori's. As the years went on, the games resemble it more and more and in turn, his art has gotten more and more sophisticated.

While a Pokémon has many sorts of artwork in many different styles, the offical artwork captures the "essence" best. The Dream World art is fine and all, but it doesn't have that essence. It'll get replaced with Sugimori's when they're finally released to the public...

Uh... nope, they really don't, I agree with keep Sugimori art on for posteriority sake but the fact that they're colored differently hardly makes 'em anything else other than official art that was colored in a different way, it's still ultimately just as stylized and cartoony as the Dream World art because ultimately it still is colorful art of stylized cute monsters.

Uh... nope, they really don't, I agree with keep Sugimori art on for posteriority sake but the fact that they're colored differently hardly makes 'em anything else other than official art that was colored in a different way, it's still ultimately just as stylized and cartoony as the Dream World art because ultimately it still is colorful art of stylized cute monsters.

Geez, way to be negative! I suggested my personal take on it; you didn't need to shoot me down like that. Sugimori's art has more realistic shading, etc. than the dream world art, which is more cartoony even than art from the anime. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Wait what? Don't feel bad about it buddy! Im not attacking you, just discussing the subject. I mean, if everybody agreed, what would be the fun of arguing eh?

The dream art is good but really I prefer the Sugimori artwork. It's not really realistic but Sugimori's art has a more natural tone to it, making the colours for the Pokemon seem and feel more real. The dream art makes the Pokemon look a bit childish in some ways, but they too show some liveliness from the Pokemon.

Does anyome has a link or file of Sugimori's old art work as far back from the Red and Blue games? The internet doesn't give me a good answer, and I'm interested in looking how his style looked in the past.

Oh my god, I love Gobitto and Goruggu's eyes in the artwork.

And Kyurem is fucking amazing.

Much obliged Rusty!

Interesting to note that they're refered to as 'Elite Four' rather than '4 heavenly kings' or whatever the original is supposed to be.
It reminds me of how it's always said that the dark type is 'evil type' in japan, though on any merch I've seen, it has indeed been simply 'Dark type'.

I think Iris definately got the best pose out of all of the gym leaders, and hell, even the elites. It's just so wonderfully dynamic, huh?
Fuuro, I can definately see why people were saying she looked chunkier than that other pokegals now. But at the end of the day, she's probably the most normal looking in that regard. I'm liking that.

As for the 'mons. Well, Frigio/Freezio/whatever is still the only one making me raise an eyebrow. I mean, I get how it works now, but...eh.
Jihead is damn awesome though. I liked it to begin with anyway, but it's art has raised it up the favourites list. Probably not a popular opinion, but I reckon it beats out Sazandra in the looks department :p

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom