• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Summarizing the opinions on the Poison type against the Water type

Should the Poison type become super-effective against the Water type in the next gen?

• Yes

Votes: 35 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 25 41.7%

• Total voters

Anser

Reaction score
I've seen many people in favor and some others against the idea, so I'd like to know what's the most popular opinion on the following question:

Should Poison become super-effective against Water in the next generation?

Remember that Water is the most common type in the game, and that Poison is only super-effective against Grass, which is commonly paired with Poison, neutralizing its effect. This would improve the Poison type greatly. The weakness would be based on water pollution. Don't comment things like "The type chart is not going to change" or things like that. Just answer the question. Would you be okay with it or would you not?

It's a tenuous idea at best. While poison can contaminate water, water can just as well dilute poison until it's basically ineffective, so unless they're going to be mutually super-effective or something I don't think it's going to work. Besides, with poison supposedly being an underpowered type and water supposedly being overpowered, it seems too much like just an obvious rules patch.

This change will surely help nerf Water types from being one of the most common types in Pokemon battles and help buff Poison types from being one of the two worst types in the series (the second one being Ice). The fact that water can still dilute poison won't help because of popular belief that Poison pollutes Water, just like Ice killing off Grass despite some species of plants being capable of surviving in colder regions. Let's not forget the fact that while Electricity is SE against Water, science states that it's actually the other way around, so it's basically a form of type balancing.

It would completely change certain Pokemon's strengths and weaknesses, and I'd be perfectly fine with that. (Just give the ice type another resistance or two and it's be bliss!)

I would much rather that the type chart stay the same. Game Freak doesn't make the game for the meta game, they make it for the enjoyment of the players. And for the money. :p

I would much rather that the type chart stay the same. Game Freak doesn't make the game for the meta game, they make it for the enjoyment of the players. And for the money. :p

Would this change severely limit your enjoyment of the game?

Considering that water covers like 80% of the world, it makes sense that it's the most powerful and versatile type.Making Poison SE wouldn't do much, I should think. A lot of Poison Pokemon suck stat-wise. Off the top of my tired head, I can't think of any Poison Pokemon who'd be top-tier in an instant if such a change in type effectiveness happens.

No. But is this change really necessary? It there a reason for it other than the metagame?

Don't get me wrong, I'm on the fence about this whole issue, but if it were to drastically improve the metagame and not affect the non-metagame in any way, what would be the problem?

poison should be super effective against normal types.

but i also dont really have a prob with it against water

There's already a handful disputable type anomalies (psychic vs steel, bug vs ghost etc), but none that's strikingly opposite to reality as this would be (I expect more posts lecturing everybody about this in an angry fashion). I'd still support it, though, seeing as a strong poison stab would be interesting, if not in place.

Sure why not. In fact, make it super effective against Fighting too.

It'll probably never happen though.

Personally, I really like Poison type pokemon, but the type itself is rather weak. I would be more than okay with adding some more types that poison is SE against, such as water and fighting, to try and balance things out.

Last edited:
Do people even reality?

If not, read:

While poison can contaminate water, water can just as well dilute poison until it's basically ineffective, so unless they're going to be mutually super-effective or something I don't think it's going to work.

I'm not advocating that Water should get more SEs (it should stay the same), but I'd rather see Water SEing Poison than vice versa.

I think both should be effective against each other.

If you throw poison in a glass full of water and give to someone drink, they will get poisoned.
But if a poisoned person drinks lots of water, the poison may fade way of their body (I have read this somewhere, but I am not really sure).

Anyway, making Poison SE against Water would make the type way more useful...
I like some Pokémon of this type, but it is quite pointless to use them in-game, since their offensive capabilities are poor.

Do people even reality?

If not, read:

While poison can contaminate water, water can just as well dilute poison until it's basically ineffective, so unless they're going to be mutually super-effective or something I don't think it's going to work.

I'm not advocating that Water should get more SEs (it should stay the same), but I'd rather see Water SEing Poison than vice versa.

|: But that would make the Poison type even worst than it already is... It would be weak against the most common type in the game!!

Why should Poison be strong against Water? While it'd definitely be realistic and logical, when have Nintendo games had the need to be realistic and logical anyway? Poison doesn't need to be strong against Water, or even vice versa. Some type match-ups were changed in the transition from Gen I to II, but that was just to help balance the metagame. Would this balance the metagame? No.

Why should Poison be strong against Water? While it'd definitely be realistic and logical, when have Nintendo games had the need to be realistic and logical anyway?.

Because a lot of the type match-ups are realistic and logical.

And because Poison is a weak type and Water is very strong, balancing both wouldn't hurt.

Why should Poison be strong against Water? While it'd definitely be realistic and logical, when have Nintendo games had the need to be realistic and logical anyway?.

Because a lot of the type match-ups are realistic and logical.

And because Poison is a weak type and Water is very strong, balancing both wouldn't hurt.

It still wouldn't achieve anything. Poison's offensive power is awful, so giving it another advantage won't help at all, and it definitely won't balance anything.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom