• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Event Summer 2020 Oneshot Competition Discussion

@diamondpearl876 how much extra time would you need to finish? Normally I would be very firm about deadlines, but 2020 is eating all of us alive at this point. Certainly I've found it far more challenging than usual to write.

@diamondpearl876 how much extra time would you need to finish? Normally I would be very firm about deadlines, but 2020 is eating all of us alive at this point. Certainly I've found it far more challenging than usual to write.

A week, if I also want time to edit thoroughly. Less if I don't edit thoroughly, or if I actually get back the momentum I had going before the family emergency. :confused: I understand if that's way too much, lol

Hello, everyone. The moderation team has discussed the possibility of a second deadline extension, particularly as multiple entrants have had difficult external obstacles to surmount. We've decided on a compromise:

Entrants who've completed their stories may submit any time from now, but entrants who need additional time to finish their work have until 23:59 GMT on September 13th to post. Judging begins on Monday 7th, so the entrants posting earliest will have their stories read and discussed by the judges first, which may qualify as a small advantage. The judging deadline will also be extended to accomodate stories being posted later.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Hello, everyone. The moderation team has discussed the possibility of a second deadline extension, particularly as multiple entrants have had difficult external obstacles to surmount. We've decided on a compromise:

Entrants who've completed their stories may submit any time from now, but entrants who need additional time to finish their work have until 23:59 GMT on September 13th to post. Judging begins on Monday 7th, so the entrants posting earliest will have their stories read and discussed by the judges first, which may qualify as a small advantage. The judging deadline will also be extended to accomodate stories being posted later.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Not without some boon....I keep having ideas but life keeps messing with me. Allergies, hurricanes, job stuff, etc etc.

(judges should hold off on posting reviews, correct? I forget what procedure is tbh)

I've been coming down from the mad writing dash of the last week - and spending, what, six weeks on the same story? It's been nice to change up the writing process somewhat, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time. The pressure of a deadline tends to incentivise getting the words down and editing later, something I'm not a huge fan of. I could have used this last week to polish up those bits I know are on the rough side, but after this long on the same story I just wanted it finished and done

I’ve had a lot of fun during this competition! It has been an excellent chance to work on new writing techniques and tools which I had never tried before, and I’m definitely happy about the final result. :D

It’s far from perfect, I admit. There have been a few things I was forced to scrap due to word constraints — like a third potential ending — but meta fanfics have always intrigued me, and working on one myself… well, it has been a pure delight! ^^

I wish best of luck to all participants!

Unfortunately I kept having issues (details will never be forthcoming) that really slowed down my ability to write after the first few days. My story could have used another round of editing and rewrite, but I didn't want to go too far past the first deadline extension.
Still, it was very useful in helping me get more experience trimming stories down, which has always been a big weakness in my writing.

Going to have to withrdaw I fear. I am just having no idea flow on it at the moemnt. Sorry everyone.

Honestly, it feels weird having the one-shot done since working on that has been on the front of my mind besides my schoolwork for the past month. While I think it's not going to be my best work (in fact I need to go back and edit some stuff reviewers pointed out) but I'm happy how it turned out cause I got pretty close to 7,000 words, which is way more than my usual chapters come out to be which I was surprised I was able to do without burning out and I was able to experiment outside of the usual series I work with for fanfictions (Pokémon, Zelda, and XenoBlade for those curious) with using MOTHER 3 as my base. But anyways, I'm happy I did it despite my original hestiance of doing the event and probably will do another some time in the future.

As for now, after that I'm burnt out writing fics for a while, so I'm going to take a small break from writing my stories fanfiction and original for a while and focus on my schoolwork as well as other things. Though I'll probably write some reviews of some Workshop fics and I think I might get back into blogging again and start doing reviews for that.

But anyways, good luck to my fellow participants and I hope to enjoy the rest of the One-Shots coming out.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom