• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Summer Awards 2014: Official Nominees and User Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceTrainer14

The acest of trainers
Reaction score
After a tense week of voting where I thought for a while that there wouldn’t actually be any Journey stories that would get three votes, we have our official nominees as whittled down by you, and my god there is a lot! NINETEEN stories are moving on along with TWENTY characters! I am amazed at how much attention there has been this time around, and I cannot fathom what things will be like in six months when we come back for the Winter lot!

For now though, here are all the stories that will be moving onwards to the Judging round:

Best Journey:
How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps by @AceTrainer14
The First Warriors by AceTrainer14
Stainless Steel by @Lugion
The Long Walk by @Beth Pavell
Unpredictable by @AetherX

Best Dark:
The Green Chronicles: The Quest for Mesos by @Legacy
some rise by sin by @kintsugi
Backgrounds by @Rediamond

Best Expansion:
Dawn of Darkness by AceTrainer14
Ritchie: The Boy Who Won by @GioRocket
The Barefoot, Fighting Genius! by @Kyuuketsuki

Best Non Pokemon/Crossover:
Hedwig's Run by @Jabberwocky
Psycho Duelist Django: Season 2 by @CynthiaLover
The Passage by Kyuuketsuki

Best Alternate:
Bulbagarden! by Jabberwocky
Poetry by @Life
A Da Vinci Smile by Beth Pavell
Wind & Rain by @SuperTrainStationH
{shantih, shantih, shantih} by kintsugi

Best Protagonist:
Alaska Acevedo from How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps
Joshua from The Long Walk
Evelina Joy from The Long Walk
Lucas Green from The Green Chronicles: The Quest for Mesos
The Unnamed Protagonist from some rise by sin
Django Spirit from Psycho Duelist Django: Season 2
Reggie from Pokemon Academy: Second Year Rhapsody by @Flaze

Best Supporting Character:
Sandy Samson from How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps
Criss from Unpredictable
Victoria Green from The Green Chronicles: The Quest for Mesos
Tempest Force from Psycho Duelist Django: Season 2

Best Antagonist:
Buzz Bolton from How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps
Lucifer Bloodlust from Psycho Duelist Django: Season 2
Cronus Aporon from The Story of Fritz Westmyn by @System Error
Schwarz from The Scales of Astrea by Jabberwocky

Best Pokemon:
Magnemite from The Long Walk
Gaia from some rise by sin
Icarus from some rise by sin
Don the Charmeleon from Flames of a Revolutionary by @Tophat Dragoneye

Judging will probably take a bit longer this time around due to how many stories there are, but expect results sometime hopefully around the middle of next month.

While we all wait for that, you guys can stay busy by voting in the three user nominated categories! We have a nice list of worthy nominees below, but your job is to vote for one from each category. I am going to keep this open until the judging is near completion, so vote your hearts out in the mean time! I will not tally the votes up until the thread is closed, so if you change your votes you can edit your first post without having to let me know.

Best Newcomer: @Vivillon; @Rediamond
Best Reviewer: @Beth Pavell; @Flaze; @kintsugi; @Legacy; @AetherX
Best Contributor to the Written Word: @Beth Pavell; @Flaze; @Jabberwocky; @AC-Prescott

And just so people know, it would be VERY helpful if we could have some more judges – most of our judges attention will need to be on the nineteen stories that have moved on, but we do have several characters whose stories did not go on with them and will need to be read on the side (normally, characters are judged by the people reading the stories). If you would like to help out by just reading one or two stories and simply judging characters it would be very beneficial and will stop me having to flip out.

I did double check everything, but in case I missed out on a nomination please let me know ASAP. Judges, report to our secret hub to help decide what categories you will work on.

Last edited:
All of those people who have moved on, you now have the option to submit your recommend chapters. For those not in the know, these chapters help the judges with reading the longer stories on offer. The judges will read the first few and most recent chapters, but they cannot possibly read every chapter as they are volunteers, so your chapter submissions will help make it easier for us to read your work. In order to submit, simply PM me the links to your chosen chapters
- Please submit no more than four chapters if these chapters are of a reasonable length, and no more than two if your chapters exceed over 20,000 words (use your own common sense here, but you will not win any favours with the judges if you submit four overly long chapters. Just be smart about it, submit what your feel is necessary.)
- You do not need to submit any chapters if your story is a one shot, consists only one chapter or has a small amount of chapters of a reasonable length (for example, The Green Chronicles would not need any due to its length).
- Please message these to me within the next three days, even if the chapters are the same as last time. Chapters not in within three days will risk judging beginning and being done without them.
If you have characters only, can you please point out if there are any chapters without the character? And think about which chapters, especially in the middle of your story if it’s long, are best; what showcases your plot, your themes, your style, your characters? (the last one especially if a character moved on)

I'll be voting Beth Pavell for Best Reviewer and Rediamond for Best Newcomer.

I'll also be voting Beth Pavell for Best Reviewer and Rediamond for Best Newcomer. I'll have to give some more consideration to my third vote.

And I just want to verify, but I don't have to submit certain poems for my Poetry, do I?

Woohoo! Congratulations to everyone who got through the first round! I can't believe how active the Workshop has become during my most recent absence. It reminds me of the good old days.

Anyway, I'll just be voting Flaze for Best Contributor for the time being. Hopefully, I'll be able to fill in the other two soon though!

I'm new to voting in these awards, so could I get some clarification on the rules, please?

I'm new to voting in these awards, so could I get some clarification on the rules, please?
At this point, you'd just be voting on Best Newcomer, Best Reviewer, and Best Contributor to the Written Word.

All of the fan fiction awards themselves are decided on by a panel of judges, whose identities will remain anonymous until the Awards close. Last round was sort of a qualifier, in which users voted for which fan fictions and characters they thought deserved to make it to the judging round. This preliminary round only happened this cycle because of the abnormally large volume of nominations.

At this point, you'd just be voting on Best Newcomer, Best Reviewer, and Best Contributor to the Written Word.

All of the fan fiction awards themselves are decided on by a panel of judges, whose identities will remain anonymous until the Awards close. Last round was sort of a qualifier, in which users voted for which fan fictions and characters they thought deserved to make it to the judging round. This preliminary round only happened this cycle because of the abnormally large volume of nominations.

To clarify/expand, the three categories are User Voted, which means that you guys all pick the winners based on whoever you feel deserves to win from each category. This takes place while about sixteen of us judges go through and judge the nine story and character categories; they are put here so everyone knows what did go through after the voting last round. And the voting round does happen every time, though this time it had more of an impact then normal due to the large number of nominations. All you need to do Warrior is vote for one name from each of the three categories Lugion said and the votes will get tallied from that :)

Oh, didn't know the voting round still happened. :p

I must've missed a lot.

This is a 14 hour last chance to submit your recommended reading chapters before you lose the chance to have them included for the time being as we will not be able to edit them in for certain reasons. @Life, if you perhaps want to submit one or two favourite poems since you have a fair few, but it should be manageable for most judges.

And remember to keep voting people! I am very disappointed that only a tenth of the people that have viewed this thread have actually voted - make your voices count folks!

I'm voting Beth Pavell for best reviewer.

Whoops!

Best Nublet: RedDiamond
Best Written Word Scrublet: Beth Pavell
Best Reviewing Dweeblet: AetherX

Best Reviewer: kintsugi
Best Contributor to Written Word: Beth Pavell

Abstaining from newcomer for obvious reasons.

Best noob: Rediamond
Best reviewer: Beth Pavell
Best contributor: Flaze

Best newcomer: Rediamond

Best reviewer: Flaze

Best Written Word contributor: Beth Pavell

It has been a while since I offered any updates, mostly as the judges are busy trying to wrap things up over this weekend so we can announce sometime next week - hopefully. As such, it is probably time to bring this to a close, so I will offer people another 48 hours to cast their votes if they have not yet done so (or change them - I will not be counting until after I have locked the thread)

To get involved, I think I shall vote for AetherX as Best Reviewer.

And now the voting is closed. Thanks everyone who voted. The winners of everything will hopefully be announced sometime in the next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom