• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sun and Moon Anime- 138 episodes?

Unbeatable HoennMon

Smarter than Smarties and Tougher than Toughies
Reaction score
I read about interesting theory. In episode 29th Mallow (acting like a director) had a table with inscription #29 / 138 and said something like ,,Cut! That's all- thanks for your work"! Some people think it's an ,,easter egg" and 138 will be the number of SM series. What do you think about it?

Probably the case considering BW is 142 and XY is only 140 episodes long.
Screenshot_2017-07-06-22-23-35-1.png

It's probably just an estimate, considering the number of episodes in each series lately. But if they have the amount of episodes mapped out until the end of the series, then that's pretty interesting, but limiting it to that amount doesn't seem something that they would do.

138 episodes? That's too small to end this series so fast. #29 / 138, less than XY series? How would next series last? 136 episodes? It seems interesting to know.

Generally- it probably means SM will be as long as other series- it won't be ,, one season series-filler" and that's a good news for me.

A lower episode total doesn't surprise me, really. The writers have shown that they're having pacing issues along with substance & focus for the series. Case in point, we're about 35 episodes in and Ash will have already defeated 2 Kahunas. He's halfway done with the Island Challenge, and if Lana is any indication, he may not even fully complete all the "Totem Battles." With 2 more to go, all that is left is the Alola League (unlikely) or an anime adapted final conference.

I don't have much faith about the Aether Foundation, given how drastically Lillie's and Gladion's backstories have been changed. It'll probably be shoddily shoehorned in, in a similar fashion to how Team Plasma was done in BW. At this point, I'm just ready for the whimsical series to end and bring back material akin to the more steadied DP/Kalos sagas.

The Totem battles are so unimportant that I don't think they have any bearing on the series' length.

Ash is probably going to lose the Olivia battle, and even if he doesn't they probably won't move onto the next island for like 30 episodes. Granted, the Alola story won't last more than 3 years, but they could add a "filler" saga as was the case for all odd numbered generations (although only AG lasted more than 3 years).

Last edited:
Unless they already have a release date for the next gen I doubt it holds any weight. After all the length of each series is relative to the release schedule of the games. However this makes me wonder how early the anime staff receives info on the next gen of games.

It's a TV show, there has to be some sort of time limit for the contracts of people they hired.

Almost all of the important staff have stuck around for ages, so I don't buy that. Low-key animators or whatever can be replaced.

Anyway, not even Game Freak seem to know how the generation will last, since they only said that the Switch games will probably take at least a year to complete. So why would the anime staff know any better? Plans can change.

Fair enough, but contracts don't work like that. A show can be canceled or renewed at any time; actors rarely pose a problem, and if they do, they can be replaced.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom