• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sun and Moon Anime- 138 episodes?

Wait, you guys think that scene means that they're trying to tell us they have 138 episodes planned?

I interpreted that text as indicating that it was the 29th shot out of the 138 shots that make up this one episode. A hundred and thirty-eight scene transitions in a single episode sounds normal, right? I didn't actually count to make sure but the idea that they were telling us how long Sun & Moon will last with this shot never once crossed my mind.

To add to that, the board traditionally marks the end of a scene or shot, not an episode.

The joke was Mallow interrupting Rotomdex acting out a scene from his detective show in a way a director would because Rotomdex was wrong about his accusation.

I'd be pretty surprised if they already had the entire length of the series planned out. While I'm sure that they have a good amount of the series planned out by the time it starts, it might be hard to give a full episode count planned ahead of time. Based on the past couple of series, the notion that SM will last for three years sounds reasonable, but that depends on when the next generation starts as well. The creative team of the anime might not be aware of when that happens themselves if TPC stressed that the Switch games won't be released for over a year.

I interpreted that text as indicating that it was the 29th shot out of the 138 shots that make up this one episode. A hundred and thirty-eight scene transitions in a single episode sounds normal, right?
To add to that, the board traditionally marks the end of a scene or shot, not an episode.
If you're going to take it literally, clapperboards doesn't work like that either, there is no number for "remaining shots". These numbers are added as a hidden joke, just like the XY director's cameo. They can add anything they want, using these numbers is unlikely to be coincidental.

Last edited:
Wait, you guys think that scene means that they're trying to tell us they have 138 episodes planned?

I interpreted that text as indicating that it was the 29th shot out of the 138 shots that make up this one episode. A hundred and thirty-eight scene transitions in a single episode sounds normal, right? I didn't actually count to make sure but the idea that they were telling us how long Sun & Moon will last with this shot never once crossed my mind.
138 shots? Isn't that a bit too, little for a show like this? I would have thought there'd be more shots than that and while I don't think they were saying that this series would indeed end in 138 episodes, it could of be a joke that it would end at that number. But I don't see why it wouldn't cross someone's mind. While the anime doesn't really keep track of how many episodes there are, there is no doubt that SM029 is the 29th episodes of the series.

A hundred and thirty-eight scene transitions in a single episode sounds normal, right?
Not really, I've worked on 3 minute shorts with a barely lower shot count. I'm not going to count it myself either, but I think a fair number would be around 400 - 600 for a 30 minute slot show.

Sixty more episodes till we know for sure.
Considering the amount of things that have to be shown yet and the things that could be shown from the games it seems like an actually realistic number.

If it is 138 episodes and there are 60 episodes left, then it's gonna take us to at least June/July of 2019 (That's excluding holidays and such since I can't remember all of the holidays and days off in Japan).

If it is 138 episodes and there are 60 episodes left, then it's gonna take us to at least June/July of 2019 (That's excluding holidays and such since I can't remember all of the holidays and days off in Japan).
For comparison, XY078 aired on June 18 2015 (compared to SM078's air date of June 7 2018) and XY138 aired on October 13 2016. Which means it took them 16 months to air 60 episodes and SM138 most likely will air in October 2019.

I read about interesting theory. In episode 29th Mallow (acting like a director) had a table with inscription #29 / 138 and said something like ,,Cut! That's all- thanks for your work"! Some people think it's an ,,easter egg" and 138 will be the number of SM series. What do you think about it?

I hope the series ends well before episode 138. I don't know if I can take much more of it.

1st Grand Trial - SM010
2nd Grand Trial - SM036
3rd Grand Trial - SM077

I expect 4th Grand Trial to happen somewhen close to SM100.

Seeing as how the Sun & Moon anime clearly didn't know the direction they were initially headed, I don't think they know how or when they're going to end. As far as I'm concerned, they'll keep producing episodes until the new Switch game essentially tells them to wrap things up in a shoe-horned manner that we'll all be miffed about.

I hope the series ends well before episode 138. I don't know if I can take much more of it.

It can't end until the next games come out.

We still have to finish the Poni Island trials, the remaining Ultra Beasts, Necrozma, and most importantly the Alola League.

The Alola League is especially important considering all the build-up it's gotten.

The Alola League is especially important considering all the build-up it's gotten.
I haven't seen much of its build-up. I only remember Kukui mentioning it once in an episode.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom