• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sun and Moon Version Exclusive Pokémon

SeanWheeler

Reaction score
Every generation so far have Pokémon that is not found in one version but is catchable in the other, to take advantage of the trading mechanic. Sun and Moon will probably do the same. So what Pokémon should be only available in Sun but not in Moon and vice versa?

Hm...

Possible Sun exclusives:
- Mega Charizard Y
- Vulpix line
- Bellsprout line
- Ledyba line
- Ho-Oh
- Electrike line
- Mawile
- Solrock
- Feebas line
- Sewaddle line
- Red-Striped Basculin
- Litleo line
- Sun Legendary

Possible Moon exclusives:
- Mega Charizard X
- Oddish line
- Magikarp line
- Spinarak line
- Houndour line
- Lugia
- Sableye
- Lunatone
- Shinx line
- Venipede line
- Blue-Striped Basculin
- Zorua line
- Moon Legendary

Umbreon and Espeon can be gifts depending on the version, but they'd never really be true version exclusives.

EDIT: I'll add more once I can think of anymore Pokemon that'd work - at least if we're thinking thematically. Though it's possible they're not thinking that and we're all wrong.

The only things I can think of right now are the obvious Sun stone evolvers in Sun and Moon stone evolvers in Moon and Solrock and Lunatone. And of course the new box legendaries:p

I could also see a lot of Fire and Grass-types being found in Sun while more Fairy and Dark-types in moon. Not to mention fossil Pokemon being dependent on version.

I would love to see something like the Kanto starters to be gifted in Sun and Hoenn in Moon ( as they are the only ones at this point to have full Mega's).

Purrloin for Moon, Glameow for Sun (both line getting Megas)

I would love to see something like the Kanto starters to be gifted in Sun and Hoenn in Moon ( as they are the only ones at this point to have full Mega's).

Purrloin for Moon, Glameow for Sun (both line getting Megas)
How about Johto in Sun and Sinnoh in moon, and give them Megas?

How about Johto in Sun and Sinnoh in moon, and give them Megas?

I guess we get Johto ones in these games and they will keep the Sinnoh ones for possible remakes we all are expecting.

But wouldn't be surprised if they go for both lines . Even though marketing wise it would be smarter to seperate them.

I don't think every Sun-related and Moon-related mons will automatically be version exclusive, since most of them play a role in day and night mechanics, such that there are Pokemon that are only catchable or more common during the day (Ledyba, Pidgey, Bellsprout, Sewaddle, etc.) and at night (Spinarak, Hoothoot, Oddish, Venipede, etc).

Like the usual, they would just continue those that have been version exclusive before will be version exclusive on these next games.

Likely we'll see a lot of the old classics be version exclusive (like caterpie/weedle, or vulpix/growlithe). I doubt they'll make entire types version exclusive though. There likely will be a greater number of dark types in Moon though, which I am okay with.

Sun can have many Fire type exclusives while Moon would have Fairy types.

Sun can have many Fire type exclusives while Moon would have Fairy types.
Hmmm, in regards to some fairies I can agree to this, but flebebe for example I can see being general access.

But I suppose it does seem to make sense that moon stone evolution mons appear more in moon version, though this begs the question of if tha means puff, cleff, and the nidos are all readily accessible in the same game without any variance.

Considering I choose which game I get completely based on the version exclusive pokemon, this is an important subject to me. You can basically guess which older pokemon are going to be version exclusive because they tend to be the same ones in every generation, for example: vulpix/growlithe, mawile/sableye etc.

I haven't really got much that's not obvious (mascots, Lunatone and Solrock) or already stated (Lugia and Ho-Oh), really. Tyrunt and Amaura (basically their fossils) are a duo that I would like to see as version exclusives.
The only one I haven't seen here is the Ursaring line being exclusive to Moon, but that's stretching it a little. They could be counterparts to the earlier mentioned Sunkern and Sunfora if that works.

Last edited:
Let's see:

Sun mascot/Moon mascot
Solrock/Lunatone
Ho-oh/Lugia
Growlithe/Vulpix
Magby/Elekid
Mankey/Meowth
Ledyba/Spinarak
Mawile/Sableye
Rufflet/Vullaby
Numel/Spoink
Electrike/Houndour

Also, I'm not sure if these would be direct counterparts, but I can see Sunkern/Munna being exclusives.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom