• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sun/Moon might be the weakest entry yet... (Ramblings from a Disappointed Fan)

I enjoyed the fact that sun/moon was at least a change of pace even if it wasn't that flushed out.

If it would have had more post game content, especially daily battles and trainer rematches it could have been alot better.

After finishing it I just feel like it's a half game that was rushed.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

move pool
movesets. Yes that was a problem, a generation that counters priority moves but not gives many pokemon acces to more of them.

Yes the trial captains could been more like gym leaders but with more pokemon and stronger ones, diversed movepools and abilities. Yes badges of some sort would be better.

We could have gotten more new priority, switch and sound moves for other types too.

More switch based abilities would be needed to in future I like Stake Out, Wimp-out , Emergency Exit(this one needs a buff make it switch out with 50% of hp as mater of protection) but something more that switches out your oponent would be nice.
(like with flinching and Stench)

Last edited:
The games' "ride" or "playthrough" (the correct term is story, but people prefer to use that for the evil team and stuff) is one of the funniest ever, but through it there are so many moments of eye-rolling that make it like the worst of gen 3-4 (slowness, meh Pokedex, limited items) meets the worst of gen 6 (user understimation), and when you finish the game the former feeling wears off and the later becomes bigger.

I enjoyed my Alola ride but I would be lying if I did say that it was a step forward. In 2014 you could run near a grass patch and you could get a rare Pokemon after hearing its cry, and in 2016 we are again facing 1000 Zubats in a row to get that rare cave Pokemon, which is "native" to Alola...

I know a lot of people hated the handholding, and while it was irritating and probably worse than that of gen 6 in terms of time taken up, I didn't feel it was quite as blatant. For the most part it was disguised as story or character development and the interactions with the characters were entertaining enough that it never felt oppressive to me. However, it probably will bother me more when I get around to replaying it since I know exactly what's coming.

While I can understand some of the complaints on the games, I wouldn't say that it was like half a game. Even with the rush towards the ending with Poni Island basically serving as the last island and the post storyline area at the same time, it did tell a complete story with good character development for most of the prominent characters. It had problems, but it didn't feel like an incomplete game to me in the slightest. Granted, I never thought that X/Y were incomplete either, despite how many people felt otherwise. They were more lackluster in regards to the storyline and characters, but incomplete never came to mind after I finished those games.

There were good updates and features, but there was some cases of going backwards, particularly with level grinding and battle points. It was so easy to level grind and to get Battle Points in just the previous generation, but now we're back to those being tedious and unnecessarily difficult, so that's annoying. Sun/Moon do have their fair share of problems and I've mentioned some of those in another thread, but I'd still say that they're pretty solid games and far from the weakest entry in the series.

I don't mind it being hard to level grind, making it to 100 should be hard,and it was way to easy in XY,Ora's.

I would like to see more of a game to get you there tho,what's the point of having a level 100 to get to if you've beat the game while in the 50s?
My Pokemon were strong enough to beat the elite four before I hit the 3rd island

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

There's a difference between making something hard/challenging and then making it unnecessarily difficult/tedious. Even with the options in X/Y and OR/AS, it still took quite a bit of time to get a team to level one hundred. I would get tired of just battling against the Elite 4 to level grind. Even B/W had those sports stadiums to do something else. There needs to be more ways to level grind so it isn't a long and tedious process.

I guess if there were three things I'd had to bag SM for, it'd be:

1. Poni Island
I like the idea behind Poni Island, but not for the last island in the game. Just didn't have that finale vibe to me imo, especially considering half the village wasn't even accessible until post game. I also felt that the Kahuna situation there was poorly handled - Hapu wasn't the Kahuna until the scene we were there for, so then who was it before that? Did they resign/die? How long did the island not have a Kahuna for, and if Hapu was already known by locals as the fill-in, then why wasn't she just telling us about it? The whole situation felt like there was 2 different groups of people with 2 different stories who made it.

I also didn't like how even though Mina was the new trial captain, there was another trial set up... So what, has that trial just never been taken down? What's up with that? Also, wouldn't MIna need to do something as a trial captain before being called on? What kind of job is that. Also, kind of minor but I hated how the Seafolk Village Chief had a generic NPC design. I dunno, just felt disappointed especially since he was in the trailer and I was expecting more from him.

2. How hard it was to find Alola Pokémon
Bruxish, Dhelmise, Mareanie, Passimian & Oranguru, Mimikyu, Sandygast (the fact that it was only in one, not even must-go location, is what bothered me) - it was an absolutely ridiculous amount, and I shouldn't have to waste so much time just to find a Mimikyu. A 5% appearance rate is ridiculously low for so many new Pokémon. I get that they were pushing Kanto hard, but it felt like they were pushing them in favor of the new Pokémon which was so frustrating. Drowzee has no place in Alola, for Pete's sake.

3. Post Game
As much as I hate to say it, it gets boring when we're simply expected to have fun with a single battle facility for hours upon hours. Especially considering how difficult the Battle Tree is, if you're not a competitive battler or breeder you're not going to have a fun time with it. It's a growing issue for me (was, since I'm not planning on getting the next Gen games due to money) since I don't feel like spending money on a game I'm going to play for a week and then have no reason to pick back up. Yes you can restart the game but isn't the whole point of Pokémon to bond with your team?? Plus the same story and essentially everything else get tiring after a while. I'd say that GF really needs to change this formula to keep fans interested in buying the games, but that's not a problem for them by the looks of things, unfortunately...
I should wrap up though by saying I thought they were excellent games though, definitely a lot more enjoyable than XY. For as much as they did wrong, they did at least twice as much right.

Hapu wasn't the Kahuna until the scene we were there for, so then who was it before that? Did they resign/die? How long did the island not have a Kahuna for, and if Hapu was already known by locals as the fill-in, then why wasn't she just telling us about it?

Hapu explains this to us, partially in that very scene, and partially in one of her prior ones. Her grandfather was the previous kahuna, but he suddenly died a few years back. After that, there was no kahuna for Poni Island until Tapu Fini chose to appoint Hapu herself as the new kahuna (presumably because they'd just recently worked together to fend off the invading Ultra Beasts).

Hapu explains this to us, partially in that very scene, and partially in one of her prior ones. Her grandfather was the previous kahuna, but he suddenly died a few years back. There was no kahuna until Tapu Fini chose to appoint Hapu herself (presumably because they'd just recently worked together to fend off the invading Ultra Beasts).

I guess what I was confused about is the line where she says "I tried to follow in his footsteps, but I was not chosen by the tapu back then." When I was playing through that scene I assumed that there was another Kahuna picked shortly after her grandfather died, but perhaps Hapu was implying that she just wasn't picked? I suppose that if the latter is what's true, there may have simply not been anyone else to have been picked, but then I wonder who helped fight off the UB when they all attacked the islands? I guess Hapu still, and that's how she proved her strength? This is exactly why I feel like it's confusing :n

I guess what I was confused about is the line where she says "I tried to follow in his footsteps, but I was not chosen by the tapu back then." When I was playing through that scene I assumed that there was another Kahuna picked shortly after her grandfather died, but perhaps Hapu was implying that she just wasn't picked? I suppose that if the latter is what's true, there may have simply not been anyone else to have been picked, but then I wonder who helped fight off the UB when they all attacked the islands? I guess Hapu still, and that's how she proved her strength? This is exactly why I feel like it's confusing :n

She tells us outright upon our arrival that there isn't a kahuna for Poni Island:

> "The kahuna? Hrmm. Don’t have one here on Poni."

And she was indeed the one who assisted Tapu Fini against the Ultra Beasts:

> "The world of the beasts, eh... Is that what that thing was that came to Poni Island? A beast? Tapu Fini and I tried to fight it, but it nearly did us both in. We did not stand a chance."

She probably wanted to take her grandfather's place soon after his death, but Tapu Fini opted to not choose her or to replace the kahuna at all.

She tells us outright upon our arrival that there isn't a kahuna for Poni Island:

> "The kahuna? Hrmm. Don’t have one here on Poni."

And she was indeed the one who assisted Tapu Fini against the Ultra Beasts:

> "The world of the beasts, eh... Is that what that thing was that came to Poni Island? A beast? Tapu Fini and I tried to fight it, but it nearly did us both in. We did not stand a chance."

She probably wanted to take her grandfather's place soon after his death, but Tapu Fini opted to not choose her or to replace the kahuna at all.

Probably should have been explaining myself better, but what I was confused about was whether or not there was a Kahuna in-between her grandfather or not, or who the last Kahuna was. While there wasn't a Kahuna currently for Poni, I assumed there might have been one before Hapu since I was under the belief that an island couldn't go without a Kahuna for such a long time, but since that's also another assumption it makes my first assumption kinda obviously false. '^^ I suppose all I needed was to think about it more but having this discussion did make me realize that there likely wasn't a Kahuna in between them and that it doesn't matter if there wasn't a Kahuna for a few years. Sorry to have made so many assumptions. :d

& thanks for the clarification on the UB thing! I vaguely recall her saying that but it's always good to know for sure.

As much as I hate to say it, it gets boring when we're simply expected to have fun with a single battle facility for hours upon hours. Especially considering how difficult the Battle Tree is, if you're not a competitive battler or breeder you're not going to have a fun time with it. It's a growing issue for me (was, since I'm not planning on getting the next Gen games due to money) since I don't feel like spending money on a game I'm going to play for a week and then have no reason to pick back up. Yes you can restart the game but isn't the whole point of Pokémon to bond with your team?? Plus the same story and essentially everything else get tiring after a while. I'd say that GF really needs to change this formula to keep fans interested in buying the games, but that's not a problem for them by the looks of things, unfortunately...
I think the issue here is that GF can't find the right balance for the recent battle facilities and post game. The Battle Maison to me was a bit easy. I mean we were facing first stage Pokemon and you could take down most in a single blow. The Battle Tree and I wanna say Battle Royal Dome as well amps up the difficulty significantly to the point where you HAVE to be a player who plays competitively if you want to succeed there. The main game had the right difficulty level I feel, though the battle facilities had an extreme difficulty spike.

On top of this, aside from catching UB's, they don't have any significant post game side quests and events you can encounter that you couldn't during the main game. Sure you can catch the Tapu's and meet up with Guzma, but I think that's it.

I think the issue here is that GF can't find the right balance for the recent battle facilities and post game. The Battle Maison to me was a bit easy. I mean we were facing first stage Pokemon and you could take down most in a single blow. The Battle Tree and I wanna say Battle Royal Dome as well amps up the difficulty significantly to the point where you HAVE to be a player who plays competitively if you want to succeed there. The main game had the right difficulty level I feel, though the battle facilities had an extreme difficulty spike.

On top of this, aside from catching UB's, they don't have any significant post game side quests and events you can encounter that you couldn't during the main game. Sure you can catch the Tapu's and meet up with Guzma, but I think that's it.
Yeah, the Battle Tree is hella hard. I still haven't unlocked any of the super modes, except multi, but that's cuz my friend and I work well together and the 2 opposing AI often conflict with each other.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom