• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sun/Moon might be the weakest entry yet... (Ramblings from a Disappointed Fan)

Vulcanos

Reaction score
I know this may not be a popular opinion, but to be honest... this has been the most disappointing installment I have faced. And I was SO excited for this game, too!

For starters, I felt that there was just so little content from a gameplay standpoint, and this was also countered by the fact that I felt the excessive cutscenes, while trying to tell a story and provide more character debt, was more of an artificial length. Although the islands would provide some diversity in climate and stuff, I just felt that things were lacking. I can't really describe it. Once you complete the Ultra Beast stuff after the game, that's it. I'm not exactly a guy who's compelled to defend my Championship honor, either.

Secondly, I felt the story was average at best. Characters were pretty disorienting at times.

Third, this game kinda lagged for me at moments.

So, I know a lot of you are going to come in here and gripe to me about how wrong I am and how I experienced it with a skewed lens, but I've never felt so unhappy to play a Pokémon game in all my life besides Diamond/Pearl.

I understand your opinion, but I never really encountered any lag. Then again, I have a New 3DS, so that might explain it. Personally, I felt it was the best entry since BW, and possibly the best in the series. Still, I actually had some issues. I was hoping for more Alolan forms, synchro evolution, faster Pokemon and that
Team Skull would team up with you against the Aether Foundation.

SM are great games but they don't match up to the gen 5 games in my opinion. DP games were decent and certainly better than RBY and FRLG. In the end, we all have our favorites and less favorites.

I disagree with your thoughts on the content, story, and characters, but I honestly do agree that the game did lag. This game pushed the 3DS to its technical limits with its highly detailed models and the fact that trainers now stand behind the Pokemon. You have a double battle with four detailed Pokemon and trainer models. Yeah, there's definitely gonna be some lag.

The story was pretty average fare for the franchise thus far, which puts the story for Sun and Moon on the same bare minimum level as every other game in this series (other than Gen V, maybe). From the beginning it was apparent, I thought, though, that Sun and Moon wouldn't remotely make an effort with its storyline this time around, so I couldn't be more than just a little disappointed.

Melemele Island (which is as far as I am) does feel soulless at this point, but Akala was a fucking adventure, and I got genuinely excited about the game and sentimental towards my pokemon. I'm marginally impressed that these games are actually just a bit challenging if you run through with the logical restrictions (no healing items, battle style set duh, no Z moves duh) and if you use kinda shitty pokemon lol.

At the very least these games look less tedious and direly uninspired as ORAS.

SM are great games but they don't match up to the gen 5 games in my opinion. DP games were decent and certainly better than RBY and FRLG. In the end, we all have our favorites and less favorites.

Absolutely agreed; Unova IS Pokemon's peak at this point in time, although I'm excited for them to surpass those games sometime as well!

(Drayden is one of my fave characters ;) )

Tbh Sun/Moon may just be my favorite games yet, and I'm a Hoenn guy so to beat ORAS takes quite a bit. I've been screaming to be able to defend your championship for years and they finally gave it to us. Lillie is one of my favorite game characters ever, possibly my favorite. All the characters were just likable, the rival wasn't too much of a snob but wasn't too much of a nice guy scrub either. Lillie, while not a trainer, truly made it feel like you had someone traveling with you for the first time, I absolutely love that they're expanding on the multiverse theory introduced in ORAS with Zinnia in the Delta Episode, now we even have certain people accidentally getting sent to the other universe. What this generation has brought us makes me hopeful for a masterpiece of a game to come later in this generation, whether it be a third version, remakes, sequels, whatever it may be, I hope that game is epic. This generation gives the next game a solid foundation to build off of.

I disagree with your thoughts on the content, story, and characters, but I honestly do agree that the game did lag. This game pushed the 3DS to its technical limits with its highly detailed models and the fact that trainers now stand behind the Pokemon. You have a double battle with four detailed Pokemon and trainer models. Yeah, there's definitely gonna be some lag.

I'd be curious to hear from an owner of the New 3DS (XL) about how it ran for them.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to hear from an owner of the New 3DS (XL) about how it ran for them.

Mostly fine. There's a bit of noticeable lag during Double Battles, and Decidueye's Z-Move takes several seconds for the animation to begin, but other than that, I didn't really have any notable performance issues.

I hope my 2DS doesn´t get f*cked by SM´s high requirements. Especially since I plan to do a lot of Multi battles and Battle Royals O_O

Last edited:
Sun and Moon does have the unfortunate shiny locks for all legendaries and ultra beasts. It seems shiny locking is going to remain a thing with GF. Also 64 BP for a mega stone is just terrible. I rather just use the character's money.

The only thing I didn't like about the game is how some pokemon were "trial locked". For example Mimikyu being only found in one place and you have to beat the trial to catch one. I think that was a major comp out especially with the small number of new pokemon and half of them were blocked off unless you have a reliable Internet connection or beat the trial.

Other than that, I actually like the games. Probably the best since Platinum for me.

Also as for the New 3DS. I can also confirm that it still lags like hell when more than two pokemon are on screen.

It runs flawlessly on the New 3DS XL, from what I've observed. There is some lag with double battles, but that only occurs when everyone's models (both of your Pokemon, both opponent's Pokemon and the two trainers) are shown at once. Otherwise I have not experienced lag anywhere else. I'm very happy that I invested into a New 3DS.

As for the actual topic, I actually have to agree for all the same reasons listed. Sun/Moon feels very bare-bones after the last few generations. Maybe it's because the islands are all comparatively small (and the map on the bottom screen really only highlights how small it is) and the trials aren't that very impressive. I have to hand it to them for trying something new after 20 years of the same thing, but I think I'd rather them to return the old gym format after this. I'm also not too happy with the plot either.

Gotta say I disagree.

I found the character cutscenes to be of perfect length and they really added to the story and experience.

I nominate X and Y for the most disappointing games of the franchise :)

As for your lag problem, I've been noticing that since Gen 6. all four games in gen 6 had bouts of lag. Not sure why.

remember that in 3 years they can fix the lags and other things but they would need not to overdo it with new mechanics and stuff and only modify and add only what what we got till now.

For me 3D world, change of name of affilities(gyms) and making them focus more on stats, abilities and moves then simply only on the type made the games much better.
Younger players are spoiled with more diversity of games now then there was in the past.
Many didn't play the old games and dont know how far we have goten with this games.

I don't think its weak, but I can sympathize...The narrative, characterizations and world building have all been really captivating to me, and I enjoyed the fresh take on the Pokemon journey (as well as a few of the newer features, namely Poke-Pelago and Refresh). But I feel like that is the game's greatest strength, along with all of the QoL adjustments. In terms of gameplay content, I don't think its that much better than XY/ORAS. I'd even say that they took several steps backward by removing perfectly good ideas like the PSS, DexNav, Friend Safari and more. There's a-lot that just went missing.

And yeah, the lag...I'm never playing Multi/Doubles in this game again.

Last edited:
Just beat the Elite Four last night. Overall I did enjoy the game, but there were certain parts that peed me off,

1. SOS battles
2. Restrictions on fishing
3. Removal of super training
4. Hyper training handled very poorly, it's completely useless.

Also I was kind of disappointed with the trials, none were complex at all, and involved a lot less battling, often against the same evolution line, and there was only really six of them instead of eight, the Dragon one tagged on at the end, felt really rushed and was even after you beat the 4th Kahuna.

I play on an original 3DS and haven't noticed anything major. Slight delays here and there but nothing game-breaking.
But did you actually play Double Battles, Multi Battles and Battle Royal battles? Those are what concerns me as a 2DS user.

I am not enamored with the games, but I don't see how Alola is small or how the 7 Totems and 4 Kahunas offer less challenge than 8 gyms.

But did you actually play Double Battles, Multi Battles and Battle Royal battles? Those are what concerns me as a 2DS user.
They aren't that bad. And I don't remember any lag in other situations.

I actually like some aspects from the game like Poke Pelago and Island Trials, but some other aspects are also quite disappointing too, like shallow move pool for new Pokemons, annoying SOS battles and the absent of leveling spots like Battle Chateau/Chansey Secret Base :cry:
For me, X/Y & B/W are better than S/M but S/M is better than others. :)

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom