• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sun/Moon might be the weakest entry yet... (Ramblings from a Disappointed Fan)

My only major disappointment is the removal of the PSS. As annoying as the pop-ups were, it was very convenient for setting up link trades and battles. The Festival Plaza is far less efficient in that regard, and I have yet to successfully initiate a link trade.

For me, SM are decent games and I don't think they are the weakest entry. I think that gen 1 games were weakest due to weak story, no post game and mediocre graphics. SM has gone much further than that. Legendary mascot with pre-evolutions in story, ultra beast also a part of the story, stronger villain and more. I still consider gen 5 games the best but SM would be tie with gen 6 and 4 in my opinion.

Sun and Moon are significant improvements over XY but nowhere near the quality of RuSaEm/BW which I still consider to be the two high points of the series.

The removal of Super Training has literally been the only complaint I have, and I found it totally baffling. The ability to reset stats was vital and having to do it via berries is frustratingly slow.

Every thing else has been improved.

Well, and that "Call for Help" feature is frustratingly bad outside of Totem Pokemon battles.

After having beaten the game today, I can safely say that my biggest gripe with this game is how interruptive and lengthy the cutscenes are, especially the ending.

I was really not happy with the game's ending after becoming the Champion. The Elite Four and Champion battles are absolutely exhausting, and I don't like to save in-between battles in case I have to start over from the beginning. I expected to get the end credits and to be able to save my game soon afterward, as was the norm with previous games. Instead what I got was an overbearingly long ending cutscene that also forced me to battle Tapu Koko on top of everything. I already beat the E4 and Champion in a row, I don't want to be forced into a surprise battle with a legendary. The entire time I was skimming past the text, not reading a word the characters said, and wondering just when I would be allowed to be save. Watching the credits scroll after that was aggravating. Only after did it end was I allowed to finally save, though I would have much appreciated if I could have been given the chance a lot sooner. I looked up a video of this, and the entire thing lasted for a duration of about 20-30 minutes. That is ridiculously long.

I've been a lot more mad about this earlier. I've cooled down since, but I'm still mad about that.

The game in general is really interruptive. Being a veteran Pokemon player, I was really not fond of the tutorial segment on Melemele Island, and a lot of it was hand holding. Every single interaction with a main character would lead to a cutscene, and there were quite a lot of them. At times it were cutscene after cutscene, followed by another cutscene. The cutscenes after defeating Hala were bad enough. I just want to go back to controlling my character already. I don't need to be told where to go every couple of steps. The past games were never this bad, as they were much fewer and farther in-between.

I love cinematics in video games, but there's a thin line. Sun/Moon were really obnoxious and overbearing about it. It really ruins the replay value too, because I don't want to have to go through all that again if I ever want to replay. If the rumored Stars is just a third-version, then I may skip on that just because of the cutscenes.

To me the worst thing was the lagging actually. The old 3DS is just not powerful enough when you are doing dobble battles. Sad.

But else then that this is one of the best entries imo. It is tough to rank the various entries, but diffently beats most of Gen 6 for me. ORAS was just boring and XY to easy. :) This game had a little more challenge to it, but not as much as I thought BW & BW2 had. Those were tough games (Pokemon standards considered).

I'm saying that the series is getting better than it was in the past.

Considering Blue Version on gameboy, Alpha Sapphire, and Moon are the only pokemon games I've felt the drive to finish the story and story events 100% in. I still haven't managed to visit all the Sevii islands in Leaf Green, beat Kanto's gyms at all in Soul Silver, Can't get far in Platinum without getting bored, haven't gotten further than the first few gyms in Black and haven't gotten to White 2 yet, and stopped before the last gym in X.... I'd say that the fact a pokemon game gave me the drive to finish it and its post game means that game was really good and the story was very compelling. I didn't get bored and want to quit playing at all in Moon. I always wanted to see what happens next.

I don't like how one of the in-game trades is the evolution of an earlier in-game trade. Especially when both Pokemon can already be acquired in the game without trading. There isn't even a difference in ability between the two. Unnecessarily redundant.

After the strides XY and especially ORAS took to lower the barrier of entry into competitive battling, it's baffling to see the regression here. The only real step up is the bottlecaps, but they're so rare and the amount of grinding in this game to get to 100 to use one is unreal.

Then instead of a breeding loop where you hold down one direction you have to use a loop of constant circle pad rotation which puts huge strain on it or do a straight line which has three loading screens.

EV training with SOS is much more of a pain than with hordes. Pokepelago is ungodly slow. 15 hours for one maxed stat is not acceptable. This isn't a f2p mobile game.

The initial battle point hump to get the power items is also insane where you are expected to have a proper team off the bat instead of having an easy mode to grind before getting into the real deal for battle tree/royal. Not to mention every single mega stone is 64 BP, all the hold items are 48, etc.
This.
This.
This.
This.
This.
This.
This.
I could totally go on forever with "this"es, because aaaaaaagh i want to train my dhelmise up

I don't like how one of the in-game trades is the evolution of an earlier in-game trade. Especially when both Pokemon can already be acquired in the game without trading. There isn't even a difference in ability between the two. Unnecessarily redundant.
What do you mean? If you are talking about Gengar, it can be found in the game as well as Politoad. Golem isn't found in the game so that in-game trade is pretty good.

I'm not referring to any of those.

I am referring to the Bounsweet and Steenee in-game trades.
Oh. Well one of them should have been something else. Steenee does have good special defense from what I have heard.

How dare you. HOW DARE YOU.
Jk. I know there are people out there who hate Sun/Moon, and I respect all opinions. The lag on my 2DS wasn't that bad, TBH, only in certain battles and big pokemon in Pokemon Refresh

I think the lack of graphical leap and many pre-game reveals take away some of the excitement, in XY everything looked and felt so new with everything being modeled now and sm just has a very similar feel to gen 6. I really did enjoy playing through SM, I don't think there have ever been such vibrant characters in the series and the region was pretty nice, but nothing really felt new like did it for bw or xy. Also now that I've beaten the league I have a really big feeling of "now what?". Breeding and ev training have been made much more of a hassle than it was in gen 6, there's no national dex, which hinders team creation for the battle tree, and the battle royal is almost unplayable on a regular 3ds.

And that ruined the game for you? Or is this just an in general kinda complaint?

Though I respect the opinion of anyone disappointed in S/M, I personally disagree. Sun has been a ton of fun for me and the Alola region will probably go down as my 3rd or 4th favorite region (behind Johto and Kanto, maybe tied with Kalos).

As someone who didn't enjoy Gen V at all (B/W and B2/W2 are my least favorites in the mainseries, though OR/AS is close too), I was nervous about the increased attention to storyline and cutscenes in S/M given that I didn't feel anything for any of the Unova cast. But I've been pleasantly surprised in there being so many characters I like this time around and the fact that I actually enjoyed seeing what would happen next in the story.

S/M has easily one of the best soundtracks in the whole franchise to me. The aesthetics of Alola are great. There are a lot of Alola Pokemon that I really like. Poke Pelago is very nice and convenient. Festival Plaza is... a bit less convenient than the PSS for sure. But I enjoy the missions, easy as they are. Changing up the gym formula was a change for the better in my opinion; same for FINALLY freeing the world of HMs. That's one of the best changes this whole franchise has ever seen haha. So all-in-all, I really love the game. It's not HeartGold/Crystal-level amazing for me nothing probably ever will be, but it's easily good enough to be in my top 5.

I'm also on a N3DS though, so I've avoided the lag issues for the most part. I can see where it'd be super annoying and a major complaint on an old 3DS/2DS if it's anything like the way PokeFinder's low framerate is.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom