• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Sunkern vs. Mega Rayquaza

Life

oh my
Reaction score
Without a doubt, this is the contest of the century.

240px-191Sunkern.png
vs.
240px-384Rayquaza-Mega.png

By looking at BST only, one of these is the weakest Pokémon in the game, while the other is the strongest. But who, I want to know, is the best Pokémon all-around?

Things to think about:
  • Which design do you prefer?
  • Which typing do you prefer?
  • Which move-pool do you prefer?
  • Which interpretations in the anime, manga, and games do you prefer?
  • Which is more memorable to you?
  • Which do you relate to more?
  • Whose name is easier to pronounce?
  • Whatever else you want to!

"Best" is a subjective term - feel free to pick your champion using whatever serious or fun reasons you feel. :~)

(and yes, I realize both Mega Mewtwo are tied with Mega Rayquaza for highest BST, but the latter is regarded as being much more powerful, which is why I picked it for this contest.)

Rayquaza/Mega Rayquaza has the best design, I love Dragon/Flying over Grass, Rayquaza move-pool is better, Rayquaza is more memorable to me, I relate to Rayquaza more since I love Dragon pokemon, and both are easy to pronounce.

It's times like this I wish I have some skill as an artist. I think should be able to get the idea across writing it out.

Sunkern and Mega Rayquaza face each other at opposite ends of the arena.

“Alright big guy. Let’s tussle!” Sunkern says with a bold and valiant expression.

Mega Rayquaza unleashes a blast of energy that leaves Sunkern a charred blob lying on its side. Sunkern opens its tiny mouth allowing a puff of smoke to escape.

“Well ok, you won that round that’s for sure,” exclaims Sunkern picking itself up and shaking off the soot layer from its body.

“But how about this for a challenge?”, says Sunkern as its usual smiling face puts on a determined look.

“Can. You.” Sunkern suddenly leaps into the air, “Jump!” Sunkern lands back on the ground but keeps its momentum with little bounces.

An unexpected sense of concern washes over Mega Rayquaza. It has never in its entire existence even considered the concept of jumping before. All Mega Rayquaza has ever known was majestic and effortless flight.

Mega Rayquaza lowers itself so that its black underside rests on the ground. It looks back towards the stern-face Sunkern and begins to sweat. Mega Rayquaza scrunches its body further down and then makes an upward extension in an effort to jump. It rises softly into the air floating upwards rather than truly jumping. Noticing this Mega Rayquaza quickly thrusts itself back towards the ground trying to simulate the force gravity would have on its body.

Mega Rayquaza turns to look across back at Sunkern praying that it didn’t see right through the bluff. A wide boastful grin appears on the now still Sunkern’s face. Mega Rayquaza trembles.

* * *​

Mega Mewtwo-Y and Deoxys open the doorway and float into the Volcanion's Bar and Grill. Mega Mewtwo-Y scans the area for familiar faces and notices Mega Rayquaza occupying the bar.

“Hey look, there’s Mega Rayquaza over at the bar. Oh, it looks pretty depressed. Do you think we should go greet it Deoxys?” Mega Mewtwo-Y asks.

“It’s been in a bad mood for a good week now. I’ve never seen it so down. I think it’s best to leave Mega Rayquaza alone for now,” replies Deoxys as they go to settle in a booth.

Mega Rayquaza takes another sip of its Moomoo Milk and lowers its head placing its hand on its brow.

Sunkern, no question. It will depose the ruler of the skies, heck, even Arceus, without even breaking a sweat. (Probably because it can't sweat. Can it? I don't know, this thing is a total enigma tbh).

Plus Sunkern's seen some mad stuff. Don't mess with it.
sunkern.png

Which design do you prefer?
Mega Rayquaza... Sunkern's just too simple
Which typing do you prefer?
Mega Rayquaza's... Dragon just is better than Grass in many ways.
Which move-pool do you prefer?
Mega Rayquaza's... I think it's slightly more diverse, isn't it? :p
Which interpretations in the anime, manga, and games do you prefer?
For the anime it has to be Sunkern, I didn't like Mega Rayquaza's appearances there.
No clue for manga.
In-game, Mega Rayquaza wins it; quite memorable events with it in the spotlight.
Which is more memorable to you?
Mega Rayquaza, of course.
Which do you relate to more?
Sunkern :)
Whose name is easier to pronounce?
Sunkern's.

Mega Rayquaza: 5
Sunkern: 3

Sorry, Sunkern; maybe some other time :D

Sunkern, the ultimate underdog. It's also far better in the Pokéathlon too.

Dude, Mega Rayquaza is obviously the superior Pokémon in terms of strength, design, typing, ability, and overall coolness factor. I'm surprised at how many people picked Sunkern over it thought. Still, I think it's a bit unfair to compare something as broken and epic as Mega Rayquaza to Sunkern, one of the weakest but cuter Pokémon (which is pretty much the only factor it beats Mega Ray at).

Dude, Mega Rayquaza is obviously the superior Pokémon in terms of strength, design, typing, ability, and overall coolness factor. I'm surprised at how many people picked Sunkern over it thought.
Most of us probably either messing about here or hate how undeniably broken Mega Rayquaza is.

Mega Rayquaza because HOLY SHIT YOU GET TO RIDE IT INTO SPACE AND YOU PUNCH THROUGH A GIANT ASTEROID

Nah, it's actually a tie. Sunkern is clearly the secret god of the Pokemon universe. It just wants you to think it's weak.

Sunkern definately. People just don't believe it's god because it looks like a seed XD. it's stats are actually 300 all around not 30 XD

I can't decide- one, everyone thinks you're a noob and the other everyone think's you're a jerk. Well, and a noob. So maybe Sunkern actully, although I voted for tie.

While I do like regular Rayquaza, its Mega is just ugly and overpowered. Sunkern is sort of cute, and I like its cry, so I'll vote for it.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom