• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Super-effective matchups that make no sence.

water>ghost makes no sense to me
it's not like they're the aliens from signs or some'n, they're ghosts
you'd think something would require a physical body for you to pour water on it...

Water is not super-effective on ghosts.

1. How is Psychic super effectvie on Poison?

2. Ice on Ground?

1. Perhaps Psychic is considered a pure minded type due to the attack Meditate (meditation purifies the mind) while obviously poison is impure. That made sense in my head.

2. Environmental weathering. Water sinks through pores and spaces in the rock/ground, and during winter the water freezes, breaking the rock/ground apart.

Obviously, in the pokémon world, ice is not made from water...

One thing that bugs me is that Steel is immune to all Poison-type attacks, even Acid. I'd understand why it's immune to Sludge Bomb and Smog for instance, but a strong Acid would affect even a Steel-pokémon. Oh well, it's just a game, and logic certainly doesn't apply. At least all the time.

I can understand why Psychic>Fighting, but why Fighting-type attacks are NVE against Psychic is unknown to me. You'd think that the frail Psychics that rather fights with their minds didn't survive all that punishment from Fighting-type attacks.

ever read Eragon? The common warrior stands little chance against a mind reader.

why does ice work not very effective on fire? I mean it turns water afterwards, which should douse it.

Also why does ice work super effective on grass? I mean there are a lot of trees in the Tundra who easily survive it. Also even after all taht snow and ice, the plants and grass in my garden are still alive.

1. Okay, I know where you're coming from on this one. That's what I thought at first. Ice to water to putting out fire. But, as I thought alittle harder, I came to the conclusion that in the "ice-water-put out fire" equation that it would be WATER that is super-effective against fire and not ICE that is super-effective against fire.

2.Now, ice against grass. Okay, you're right about a couple things. The tundra trees and plants in your backyard. Here is an explanation. Those are VERY hardy plants! They are meant to withstand the cold! Look at your backyard in the summer and take a picture and get as many plants as you can into that one picture. Take a picture of how many plants are in the area in the winter. When you compare the two pictures you will find that all of the pretty flower plants have died and only grasses and hardy plants have survived.

I hope you now understand.

ever read Eragon? The common warrior stands little chance against a mind reader.

lol yeah I love those books!

I never really understood why dark defeats psychic, other than it was a needed creation for balance. Dark as a type in itself is kind of weird in the pokemon world itself, anyways. Does that mean the pokemon are "evil"? Where's the "light" pokemon? :p

lol yeah I love those books!

I never really understood why dark defeats psychic, other than it was a needed creation for balance. Dark as a type in itself is kind of weird in the pokemon world itself, anyways. Does that mean the pokemon are "evil"? Where's the "light" pokemon? :p

I think it's how meditation calms the mind and soul, while darkness takes control of the mind and soul.

I have, at least 1,5 of the books...

Well, I don't really know, but it doesn't really look like Alakazam's body could deal with a Close Combat, nor that it would be NVE.

Although I admit you have a point.

I have, at least 1,5 of the books...

Well, I don't really know, but it doesn't really look like Alakazam's body could deal with a Close Combat, nor that it would be NVE.

Although I admit you have a point.

I could say they use a kind of shield (not the regular shield, kind of a second skin) against physical attacks, but that wouldn't work. Maybe they just learnt how to deal with martial arts and such? :sweatlol:

the psychics can handle the patterned blows of the fighting type because of predictability but they cannot stand against the improvisation and dirty fighting of dark types.

Maybe not as much unpredictable as unblockable. You can't really block an earthquake, and Normal-type attacks require no thought or something.

What about the other physical attacks, such as ground and normal? Half-predictable?

Fighting is like martial arts, it requires training, and therfore the style of combat adheres to a specific technique which is predictable. Others types are not like this, the dark type being fighting's antithesis.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom