• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SUPER HUGELY BIG IMPORTANT TOPIC

TTEchidna

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Okay guys, seriously, we gotta keep everything that's not alphanumeric out of our filenames on Archives. It breaks the server. It threw it for a loop yesterday for eight hours. No. More. Parentheses.

ONLY A-Z, a-z, 0-9, underscore, and dash. ? and ! are completely unacceptable. () and [] and {} are also unacceptable.

Keep in mind that the pages on the wiki don't seem have this issue, meaning yes, we can have ?'s and !'s and all that crap in article titles (I'd rather we didn't have multiple ones in a row, such as ?????????? and such; use "ten question marks" instead for that not-really-a-glitch glitch Pokémon, but feel free to link it with the text of "??????????"). Just make sure you use English punctuation, not Japanese. We had an issue with the current Japanese ending, where there was a Japanese tilde in there, rather than the English one. We're set up for English text, so our server can't handle stuff like that sometimes.

Although really there's only one valid way to encode é (namely, in UTF-8 as C3 09).

In that case, you can use the template Move to call an admin's attention in moving the file to the proper file name.

I'm pretty sure that as long as underscore, comma, parentheses, and hyphen are within the filename, it's fine. Let me explain: type in either png, jpg, or jpeg in the search bar of the archives and you'll get a listing. Notice that under Page title matches, there are files with issues in filenames. Another section, titled Page text matches, matches up summaries which state the extension. Just so long as nobody uploads files that end in the aforesaid buttons (I guess you could call it that: comma, underscore, parentheses, hyphen), then it's fine. So the special e is fine (so long as it's not in the end either). Parentheses as said before is a no. I'll check up on ! and ?, but I think the main deal is whether the aforesaid functions (there.) are in the end or not.

underscore is definitely fine, given we use it for every game sprite (Spr_2g_081.png)
and it is possible, and probable, that a number of other things do NOT effect the system, consider it entirely restricted in a safety sense. do we even need file names with parenthesis or commas? i dont think we do. its a file name, not a mini-sentence.

I'm okay with refraining from using special characters in image titles on the Archives, but as for the bit about the article titles for glitches, I dislike the idea of using "Ten Question Marks" instead of the Pokémon's actual name. I mean, it's called "??????????," not "Ten Question Marks." In my opinion, this is like titling the Arcanine article as "Flame Pokémon."

Just how much of a strain on the server would it be to use names with special characters in them for Pedia articles?

It isn't a "strain" issue. It causes issues where the server turns on itself and uses its entire power on them. The problem isn't that it's just harder to use the characters, it's effectively impossible to use them.

Basically, what happens is that when files with those characters in the name are pulled from the database for someone to access them, the server can't properly remove them from the temp directory. This can cause the temp directory to fill up rather rapidly, because the server sees less free space in there then there actually is, and results in the server locking up.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom