• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SUPER POLL: What is your FAVOURITE main series Pokémon game (or games) of all time?

Which is the best main series game/s in your opinion?

• RGB

• Yellow

• Gold/ Silver

• Crystal

• Ruby/ Sapphire

• FR/LG

• Emerald

• Diamond/ Pearl

• Platinum

• HeartGold/ SoulSilver

• Black/ White

• BW2

• XY

• ORAS

• Sun/ Moon

• Ultra Sun/ Ultra Moon

Results are only viewable after voting.
HG/SS is my favourite because I feel it brought a whole freshness to the two classic regions overall.

Now that I think about it, the amount of features on this game is wide: walking sprites, huge variety of Pokémon in the wild, gym leaders rematches, possibility to use the old GBC soundtracks, Pokéathlon and so on... Though the thing I like the most is the characters' remodeling, especially when we talk about Team Rocket and gym leaders. Only weak point is Mt. Silver structuring in my opinion; I in fact think it's rather dull and much prefer its G/S version.

HG/SS is my favourite because I feel it brought a whole freshness to the two classic regions overall.

Now that I think about it, the amount of features on this game is wide: walking sprites, huge variety of Pokémon in the wild, gym leaders rematches, possibility to use the old GBC soundtracks, Pokéathlon and so on... Though the thing I like the most is the characters' remodeling, especially when we talk about Team Rocket and gym leaders. Only weak point is Mt. Silver structuring in my opinion; I in fact think it's rather dull and much prefer its G/S version.

For real? I have a thing or two to say about the level curve and experience distribution.

Over the years, my favourite Pokemon game has certainly changed once or twice.

Initially, it was Emerald. This is because I've always felt like Emerald brought with it the most fun to me. Not only did it introduce a slightly altered storyline that young me actually found exciting, but the post-game was quite frankly unrivaled. I can go on for hours about the uniqueness of Emerald's Battle Frontier in comparison to others. I remember how exciting the Battle Palace was, because the thought of having my Pokemon battle completely on their own only based on certain factors was just incredible to me.

And then, later on, it switched to Platinum. Platinum had a hell of an interesting main villain, coupled that with what is one of the best Pokemon selection in all of the main series, imo. There's just so many Pokemon that I love that are from Sinnoh, and at the time, I really felt that I hit the peak of enjoyment of Pokemon gaming then. I loved messing around with the Poketch, I loved Sinnoh's Battle Frontier too, but more than anything else, I've had so much fun with Sinnoh's Underground! It truly made me feel adventurous going around, mining different evolutionary stones and fossils and what-have-you.

As of currently, though? Platinum is still my favourite over Emerald, but only slightly.

That's a tough question.

I feel like I have to go with Platinum though. Pearl had reinvigorated my interest in Pokemon, and as such Platinum only made it that much stronger for me.

Platinum was everything I loved about Pearl but with more (obviously lol)

I thoroughly enjoyed traveling around and exploring all areas of Sinnoh. The gyms, Elite 4, Cynthia, they all offered a good challenge especially the latter with her team being all over the place. The postgame was a good deal of fun too with the bits of extra exploring it had.

Not the mention the fun of rebattling the gym leaders and seeing full teams from them when they aren't holding back. And the feature of helping out those 5 other NPCs travel along side you who you could also later battle in full was a nice fun touch too.

There was just a lot to like.

Special shoutouts also go to HeartGold since growing up Gold was the first Pokemon game I really understood and one I played a ton. This brought back all the memories I loved about Gold but made them more modern and made me love and appreciate them more.

And also the second shoutout to Yellow since that was my first Pokemon game, one I spent tons of time playing even once I beat it. It holds a special place in my heart.

It's too hard to rank on everything, but in my opinion, as a story gamer, I tie Black 2/White 2 and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon as my top favorites.

Black 2/White 2 retweaked the difficulty down from the Black/White (one of the hardest games overall, before USUM tops them) in addition to a more in-depth story than previous-gen games. Generally, easier challenges and more-entertaining-story blend into a single good DS game worth the price and time. Also, they have post-game events that keep me entertained before I get USUM for my 3DS. I still have them for Pokémon Bank feature because of richer Pokédex listings and returning Pokémon.

For USUM, the story is much more refined and more Sci-Fi influences than regular Sun/Moon, and provides more tougher challenges than even Platinum, BW and SM (three most-difficult games before USUM), in addition to access to new Pokémon, new Z-Moves and a new post-game story which also reference to previous games (even the post-game events) as well. The post-game, while not as challenging as B2W2, is quite a good walk for some.

USUM definitely needs more votes in terms of story quality.

1. HGSS
  2. BW2
  3. Emerald
In spite I prefer HGSS, I'm bound to agree that BW2 has the most complete experience that a pokemon game can offer.
For real? I have a thing or two to say about the level curve and experience distribution.

Serious? Level curve and experience distribution are the big failures of the franchise as a whole. Pokemon is too easy, especially the more recents game with the new exp share mechanics. The the only generation that tried to do something about it was 5.

Last edited:
Gen IV was peak Pokemon:

• walking Pokemon
  • Pokewalker was Pokemon Go before it was cool
  • Battle Frontier
  • Two regions (2.5 if you include Sinjoh)
  • Time Travel (Celebi quest)
  • Contests/Ribbons galore
  • The Poke-God was revealed (praise Arceus)
  • Interesting events for Event Pokes
  • Pokeathlon
  • The last proper stadium game (Battle Revolution) and Storage game (Ranch), which were both pretty awesome
  • Lots of neglected types got revitalised during this era e.g. Ice, Dragon and Ghost.

#1. For me......Platinum will always be my absolute favorite. It was my first Pokémon experience, and is the one that all of the others are judged against. I think that everything came together perfectly in Platinum......the graphics I love the best, great starters and 'mons, diverse regions, tough Elite battles, and a huge end game.

#2. Black/White and Black2/White2. Even though I wish they would have used the Pokémon artwork of Gen 4, I really love many of the new things they added, and the camera sweeping gives a sense of largeness to the cities and more feel of being alive (although I don't like it that there is always a zooming and slowdown when you enter a building). I also really enjoy the color pallet, seasons changing, and the story.

Gen 4 and 5 will always be the absolute peak of the Pokémon series for me with 4 being the mountain top. I think that Gen 6 looks nice (although I don't like the character style much) but I don't feel engrossed in the game like the 2D versions. Gen 7 looks even better, but I don't find that I am engaged as much as I thought I would either. I don't feel like I get to explore and wander off in those last 2 gens.

I'm an older guy who didn't play Gen 1 or 2. I watched some youtube for Gen 3. But it was Gen 4 that grabbed me and sucked me in.

D/P - I'm biased because Gen 4 was my first excursion into the Pokemon world, and I immediately fell in love. I love some of the ideas for the legendaries to this day, especially Cresselia (being the moon pokemon), Darkrai (being the nightmare pokemon), and Giratina (being the LITERAL DEVIL).

R/B - I love playing these for the sake of the fun glitches. They're classics too!

ORAS - They managed to update the third gen really nicely. The characters are all the more lovable now, and the story changes worked well in my opinion.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom