• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SUPER POLL! Which is, in your opinion, the best Pokemon game ever?

Which is the best main series Pokemon game until now?

• RGBY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FRLG

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • GSC

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • HGSS

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • RSE

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • ORAS

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • DPPt

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • BW

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • BW2

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • XY

Votes: 6 7.5%

• Total voters

Boss1708

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
With Gen VII approaching, and people expecting the next game to be awesome, I think it is a good time to ask (once again), which is, in your opinion, the best main series Pokemon game to date?

From Gen I to Gen VI, I have listed all the main series games. You can just say which version you consider the best and explain why, or you can rank them all from top to bottom.

Just to clarify, the thread is not about personal favourites, so try to keep nostalgia out of the decision (if possible). You can still vote for your personal favourite game, if you think it is the best game. Just don´t vote for your personal favourite if you think there is an other game that is better.

I am curious which game will win :)

EDIT: Remember:

Yellow (includes RB)
Crystal (includes GS)
Emerald (includes RS)
Platinum (includes DP)

Last edited:
In my opinion, BW2 is the best main series game to date. It is the game with the most content, and therefore the richest game.

The biggest reason for me, must be the PWT. It is the best feature ever, in my opinion.

An other reason is that its regional Battle Facility (the Battle Subway), is the most entertaining and well designed version of the Battle tower, in my opinion.

Also, Funfest Missions is one of the best sidegames ever, in my opinion, since it keeps the entire region relevant, by having different activities happening all the time from battles to searching for stuff, etc.

And there is also Musicals, Pokestar Studios, Join Avenue, Battle Institute, Treehollow/Skyscraper, and loads of cool daily battles.

Also, you can catch a wild Metagross in this game. Seriously, how awesome.

The region is one of the best, imo (only second to Hoenn, in my ranking).

Not to mention, the music is also brilliant, capturing emotion and excitement like few others can.

My ranking continues as follows:

2. ORAS
3. Emerald (would be tied with ORAS if it had the physical/special split)
4. HGSS
5. Platinum
6. FRLG
7. BW
8. XY
9. Crystal
10. Yellow

Edit: I might elaborate later.

Last edited:
BW2. Even though I kinda prefer ORAS more, it is fact that BW2 gives more post-game content and it's a more deeper take on how the 1st game handled things.
While I think ORAS has plenty of content (more than most games), I agree. BW2 is n1.

It's a very close call between Platinum and B2W2. I feel like Platinum had a bit more confidence in its players - the Trainers seemed tougher in that game, and the journey was much less linear (Personally, I have no problem with linearity, but in terms of design philosophy, I do think having a less linear, more explorable terrain makes more sense for these kinds of games). And the Battle Frontier requires more strategy than the PWT. I really appreciate it when they seem confident in their playerbase. Granted, B2W2 have Challenge Mode, but the method of obtaining it is painfully convoluted.

Also, Platinum has the VS Seeker.

B2w2, on the other hand, have the PWT which was very fun and exciting, despite not requiring as much strategy. They've got so many side-features. They've got seasons, and they've got a ton of post-game areas and activities. B2W2's Victory Road is also far superior to Platinum's (and really, most of the others as well). But I think what mostly seals this is that B2W2 have a much richer regional Pokédex than Platinum. Even with the expansion, I've still always found Platinum's Pokédex to be a bit too limited.

They both have really brilliant soundtracks. They're both really great, content-packed games - but I think B2W2 just manages to edge it out.

G/S

Which isn't on the poll by itself. So there's that.

No real story line, no stupid evil teams to make the game tediously dull and a lot of Pokemon to catch.

Enjoyed the Unova region the most, by far.
With the exception of Join Avenue and Pokestar Studios, It was the most well designed and fully thought-out region.
Everything in the game has so much thought and effort put into it.....

Shame the took the easy and cheap way in X/Y.

Platinum and B2W2 are on about equal ground for me. The thing that inches B2W2 forward for me is the Gen V engine is so much better than the Gen IV one. They both have such vibrant and varied regions with large selections of Pokémon. The both their post games are amazing with so much to choose from, although I do like the resort area that Platinum has more than the blocked off of Unova that become available.

BW is third, I love only having the Unova Pokémon to choose from, it's such a breath of fresh air whenever I play them again. And the final boss being Ghetsis with his ridiculous team is amazing, along with the sudden ending that set the path for B2W2 to happen. And Cheren and Bianca the best Rivals as a pair, they complement each other so much it's amazing.

HGSS is next, it has such a bad level curve that I can't bring myself to call them the best. Which sucks because the Pokéathelon is my favorite side thing in the entire series. It was ambitious in trying to go for a more open worldly approach but I don't think it paid off in the long run. That along with Kanto being the post game absolutely ruined the level curve and it just can't recover from that.

Last edited:
Hmm close call between Platinum and HGSS for me, but I ended up voting Platinum. I just love everything about it: the Pokémon, the region, the PC designs, the rival, the professor, the gym leaders, the evil team... just everything. Except maybe that part where you walk really slowly through the snow...

HGSS is a very close second though, mostly because of the following Pokémon feature and the Pokéathlon. But I like the story, the region and the evil team less than in Platinum.

Also a nitpicky comment, but I think you should change Platinum to DPPt in the poll, as not everyone has actually played Platinum but only DP ;) Same goes for the original games, there are people that prefer those over the remakes or people that haven't even played the remakes.

Yeah if I was nitpicky, you should have done R/B/Y, G/S/C, R/S/E, D/P/Pt and so on. ANyway I felt that HGSS didn't have the same oomph G/S/C did.

Also a nitpicky comment, but I think you should change Platinum to DPPt in the poll, as not everyone has actually played Platinum but only DP ;) Same goes for the original games, there are people that prefer those over the remakes or people that haven't even played the remakes.

Yeah if I was nitpicky, you should have done R/B/Y, G/S/C, R/S/E, D/P/Pt and so on. ANyway I felt that HGSS didn't have the same oomph G/S/C did.

I just didn't add RGB, GS, RS and DP because everything they have, is contained in Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum, respectively. So I found it redundant to add them. Unlike BW and XY, which don't have a third version.

I can't edit the poll options, so I changed the OP to accommodate the poll to your needs... ;)

Last edited:
The reason I prefer the PWT over the BF is that, while in the BF there is a boss battle once every 30 or 50 battles, the PWT offers nothing but boss battles. You face Boss after Boss. Every battle is exciting.

Last edited:
Black and White 2, while their story was much weaker than Black and White, went out of their way to ensure there was always something to do. You have a ton of options outside the main story, including PokéStar Studios, PWT, Black Tower/White Treehollow, several (rebattleable) postgame bosses including N, Colress, the Striaton Triplets, Cynthia, the Shadow Triad, and the usual League and Rival postgame battles, the Yancy/Curtis sidequest, Entralink stuff, and the return of Musicals from the originals... In addition, its regional dex is a good expansion of the original BW's, featuring a reasonable mix of the old and new, unlike Kalos, for example, which put far too much emphasis on old.

So BW2 it is then.

I would say specifically Black 2 - closely followed by White 2 of course, but I would definitely distinguish Black 2 as being, in my opinion, the superior game of the two. As a unit, the games have an amazing postgame, with things like the PWT and Black Tower/White Treehollow, postgame bosses and all that good stuff people have said already.

The reason I would specifically put Black 2 first is because of the challenge mode unlocked upon reaching the Hall of Fame - it made so many things much more interesting, such as the postgame bosses, and the Elite Four rematches, in which they'd give sensible items to all of their pokemon. I probably wouldn't have got into the Black Tower if not for challenge mode, since the enemy trainers start off with really low-level stuff there, but it definitely improves - I think with challenge mode stuff towards the end is even pushing towards level 90 or something but I may be misremembering. White 2 giving an easy mode at that point didn't make much sense - at that point, what purpose is served by making things easier? Sure you can get challenge mode in White 2, and easy mode in Black 2, but that'd require me to get both games, or to have that most modern of things, a friend. So yeah, Black 2 for me, definitely.

My favourite pokemon game would be Black 2. It was the first Pokémon game I had played since Diamond, and I just love how much content there is in that game. I justlove how many cool pokemon there is to catch, even early on. For example you can get some of my favourite evolution lines (Lucario, Ampharos, and Azumarill), before you even battle the first gym. Another thing I really like about the game is how much you get to explore after defeating the league. There is just a bunch of areas all over the map, that you get access to, and you are allowed to explore them at your own pace. It also has the PWT which is one of my favourite features in any Pokémon game.

The only thing I really dislike about the game is, that it has a hard mode....that gets deleted when you restart the gameo_O.

Challenge Mode and Zekrom do give Black 2 an edge over White 2, but I think White 2 compensates that, by having the better aesthetics and region design imo. I think White Forest is better than Black City, and overall, W2 has the more balanced region.

Unova is already a very urbanized region as it is, and B2 makes it even more urbanized, while W2 adds some more forestal/natural areas instead, making Unova more balanced between nature and urbanization. I also prefer the interface design in White 2.

Also, Challenge Mode only affects normal battles, but PWT Trainers and Battle Subway Trainers' AI is not affected by Challenge Mode.

So I think B2 and W2 are equally good.

Last edited:
Except maybe that part where you walk really slowly through the snow...

I actually love that part. :p It's funny, how I like some masochism routes but not others. For example, I'd fire up the ultimate weapon myself if it meant that I could aim it straight at the Lumiose Badlands. But give me some deep snow and I'll jump right in.

E: It probably helps that the music for Route 216/217 is amazing.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom