• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SUPER POLL! Which is, in your opinion, the best Pokemon game ever?

Which is the best main series Pokemon game until now?

• RGBY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FRLG

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • GSC

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • HGSS

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • RSE

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • ORAS

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • DPPt

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • BW

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • BW2

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • XY

Votes: 6 7.5%

• Total voters
Aaaall the whining complaining about Emerald's Battle Frontier missing from ORAS and being so awesome, but nobody votes for it! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

I am genuinly surprised Emerald has 0 votes tbh. It appears that people only "remembered" that Emerald and its Battle Frontier exist due to ORAS, and are now forgetting about Emerald once again...

From what I've read here most people have voted based on aspects that appear in the main game, like story and features, not post-game aspects. People have been saying Emerald was better with the Battle Frontier in it, I don't think anyone ever said it was the best game because of it. ORAS only has 1 vote either. Hoenn just isn't the most popular, Battle Frontier or not ;)

From what I've read here most people have voted based on aspects that appear in the main game, like story and features, not post-game aspects. People have been saying Emerald was better with the Battle Frontier in it, I don't think anyone ever said it was the best game because of it. ORAS only has 1 vote either. Hoenn just isn't the most popular, Battle Frontier or not ;)
From what I see, most people appear to vote based on features and gameplay, and the Battle Frontier clearly IS a feature. And a supposedly missed one. And Emerald has attracted ZERO votes for now... Even less than XY (!)

You could be right that Hoenn isn't the most popular region (not sure), but Kanto is probably the most popular region ever, and the Kanto games currently have ZERO votes. So I doubt people are voting according to region popularity either ;)

So I think Emerald having zero votes atm is surprising, no matter how we look at it.

Last edited:
From what I see, most people appear to vote based on features and gameplay, and the Battle Frontier clearly IS a feature. And a supposedly missed one. And Emerald has attracted ZERO votes for now. Even less than XY (!)

You could be right that Hoenn isn't the most popular region (not sure), but Kanto is probably the most popular region ever, and Kanto currently has ZERO votes between RGBY and FRLG. So I doubt people are voting according to region popularity either ;)

So I think Emerald having zero votes atm is surprising, no matter how we look at it.
I would have voted for Emerald if we had the ability to voted more than once. I went with BW2 because there is a lot of content in it.

I would have voted for Emerald if we had the ability to voted more than once. I went with BW2 because there is a lot of content in it.
Same with me. Emerald was my n2 or n3 choice.

For n1, it is easily BW2.

But for n2... I can't really decide between Emerald or ORAS. I can't really decide between Battle Frontier, or DexNav+ Soaring+ pseudo Gym Secret Bases. So, probably a draw.

Last edited:
BW, easy. I understand BW2 had better gameplay because of the larger variety of Pokemon, but BW beats every other game in one aspect: story. BW were the first games that actually cared about having a decent story. The villain team was more active than Team Rocket but didn't have a moronic plan the way pre-remake Magma, pre-remake Aqua and Galactic did. They wanted to take over, not bring about THE END OF THE WORLD or A NEW UNIVERSE! Ghetsis's plan was much more devious than any others - no stealing honey to gather Pokemon here. He raised a poor kid as his puppet and used him to summon a powerful Pokemon. He preyed upon the emotions and consciences of others to try and make them release their Pokemon so they'd be defenseless when he took over. He's the first Magnificent Bastard in the franchise, someone who's actually able to manipulate people instead of taking the direct force route. He's also a monster - up until BW, the only truly irredeemable characters were in the anime (Vicious, J, Kodai) and spin-offs (Evice, PMD Darkrai). Ghetsis managed to bring horrific parental abuse into an E-rated game.

N, on the other hand, is downright tragic, and you can't help but feel sorry for the poor guy. And yet, after all the horrible things Ghetsis did, he still offers him a chance at redemption.

Oh, and most of the new Pokemon kicked ass and reusable TMs are amazinf. BW was what turned me from a person who happened to like Pokemon into a dedicated fan. BW2, XY and ORAS managed to top it gameplay-wise, though.

Also, as much praise as it gets, I couldn't get into HGSS, since I bought it after BW. I couldn't go back to one-use TMs.
Thank you. You just summed up my reasoning almost perfectly. Only thing I would add: the soundtrack kicked ass.

Huh I'm surprised to see BW2 as the best one. I agree, it simply has the most content.
Same here. I thought BW2 is one of those underrated games, but it appears it's not. I am glad to see this.

On an unrelated note, I think ORAS and Emerald deserve more votes as well. ORAS doesn't have the nostalgia factor atm, because it is the current game. So it can be expected to get more votes as the best, in a few years, when people begin to miss it and feel nostalgia towards the game.

The most recent game is always considered the best game ever when it is brand new, and slowly becomes mediocre and flawed when people get tired of it and are impatient for the next game to come out.

Only after a few years will ORAS (and XY) start to be appreciated, I think.

Last edited:
Same here. I thought BW2 is one of those underrated games, but it appears it's not. I am glad to see this.

We should probably keep in mind that this is an extremely small sample size (only 40 people thus far). That perception of B2W2 as underrated/unpopular could very well still apply in the wider fandom.

We should probably keep in mind that this is an extremely small sample size (only 40 people thus far). That perception of B2W2 as underrated/unpopular could very well still apply in the wider fandom.
Yeah, that's true. But I do hope it's not underrated. XD

I feel like it's a strong tie between BW2 and HGSS. The PWT added so much content to the game, it is also the only 2nd version of all the Pokemon games. HGSS had its two regions, times of day that affected what Pokemon are available, Pokemon following you, bug catching contest and more.

While I recognize the faults of the games now, HGSS were the most fun I'd ever had with a pokemon game before. They took everything I loved about Gold and Silver, my original generation, and improved upon it. Best of all, HGSS had, without a doubt, the absolute best bag in the series. Check and mate.

But seriously, they did wonders to spruve up Kanto and Johto. From the interactions with gym leaders to the little scenes that played each time you entered a dungeon to Pokemon following behind you and being genuinely adorable, HGSS had everything I wanted up to that point. If it had reusable TMs I don't think I'd have been able to move on to a new generation.

On the other hand, I have yet to finish BW2.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky best Pokémon game. Your arguement is invalid.

...Though it terms of main series games, my favourite changes constantly, but it is usually whichever one is newest at the time, and right now is no exception.

On the other hand, I have yet to finish BW2
I recognize it, BW2 doesn't have the best plot, but it isn't bad either.

Personally, I tried to speed through the main game, to reach the end game content asap, because that's what I enjoy the most (end game content).

For HGSS , I enjoy the Johto half of the game, but the Kanto half is a bit of an anoyance for me. It's like "OK, I beat the Pokemon League, why don't you let me go to the Battle Frontier already? Why do I have to go through Kanto FIRST?

In fact, I couldn't force myself to finish HGSS because of this: all I wanted to do is to challenge the Battle Frontier in Johto, with my Johto Pokemon team. And having played through GS many times, I couldn't force myself to go through two entire regions only to gain access to the Frontier.

Also, I don't like that you can challenge the Kanto Gym Leader in any given order. When playing a game, I prefer to be told where to go.

Last edited:
I recognize it, BW2 doesn't have the best plot, but it isn't bad either.

Personally, I tried to speed through the main game, to reach the end game content asap, because that's what I enjoy the most (end game content).

For HGSS , I enjoy the Johto half of the game, but the Kanto half is a bit of an anoyance for me. It's like "OK, I beat the Pokemon League, why don't you let me go to the Battle Frontier already? Why do I have to go through Kanto FIRST?

Also, I don't like that you can challenge the Kanto Gym Leader in any given order. When playing a game, I prefer to be told where to go.
Actually, I think you can do the Battle Frontier first in HGSS. Probably need the national pokedex first. I actually the BW2 story the best along side the BW story. In Johto, you can either go east or west of Ecruteak City so you can choose to do either the Ice gym first or the Fighting one if I recall correctly.

Actually, I think you can do the Battle Frontier first in HGSS.
You don't need to defeat Red first and the Kanto Gym Leaders???
I actually the BW2 story the best along side the BW story.
I actually think the sequel's story is good, just not the best. But I don't play Pokemon for the story anyway, I play Pokemon mainly for the content and region quality, and BW2 is the best in these departments, and that's what makes it the best imo.
In Johto, you can either go east or west of Ecruteak City so you can choose to do either the Ice gym first or the Fighting one if I recall correctly.
That doesn't matter to me, it is the Kanto half of the game that I find too confusing...

Last edited:
BW1 had a better story than BW2. However, both of their stories combined make for the best story in the main series.

I agree with this, although I also thought it was the right call to follow up the big, grand, "statement" story of BW with a more low-key, personal affair. B2W2 is the reconstruction following the deconstruction; after BW so vigorously interrogated the series's core conceits, B2W2 reapplied them in that new context, hence the return to the more traditional trends that we see in those games. That was an instance in which I felt the reversion was actually justified, and not just Game Freak being Game Freak.

Platinum. Hands down Platinum. Diamond and Pearl were mediocre, but Platinum was absolutely amazing.
It added so much story content to the Gen IV plot, the Distortion World, and is still my favorite game.
If the inevitable Gen IV remakes don't follow the Platinum storyline, I ain't buying them.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom