• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SUPER POLL! Which is, in your opinion, the best Pokemon game ever?

Which is the best main series Pokemon game until now?

• RGBY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FRLG

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • GSC

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • HGSS

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • RSE

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • ORAS

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • DPPt

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • BW

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • BW2

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • XY

Votes: 6 7.5%

• Total voters
Platinum. Hands down Platinum. Diamond and Pearl were mediocre, but Platinum was absolutely amazing.
It added so much story content to the Gen IV plot, the Distortion World, and is still my favorite game.
If the inevitable Gen IV remakes don't follow the Platinum storyline, I ain't buying them.
I think they would stick to the original DP story otherwise it would be a remake of Platinum instead. ORAS had the story from Ruby and Sapphire because it is the remake of them and not remake of Emerald. However, Giratina could gain a post game story like Rayquaza did in ORAS. Platinum is indeed a great game.

That's why I said Gen IV remakes, and not DP remakes. ;)
I wish that ORAS followed the Emerald storyline, TBH. I tend to like the third version games better than the initial pair, plus HGSS had elements of Crystal's plot in them. For example, Eusine, who showed up in Crystal, but not Gold or Silver, as well as the entire Suicune story.

That's why I said Gen IV remakes, and not DP remakes. ;)
I wish that ORAS followed the Emerald storyline, TBH. I tend to like the third version games better than the initial pair, plus HGSS had elements of Crystal's plot in them. For example, Eusine, who showed up in Crystal, but not Gold or Silver, as well as the entire Suicune story.
Unfortunately that wouldn't make ORAS remakes of Ruby and Sapphire though. They had to keep to the original story so that ORAS would be remakes of the originals and not Emerald. I like third version content too but Game Freak tends to keep the main story of remakes to the original. Suicune's story didn't affect the main story of HGSS so that was okay.

@Alexander, your point is well taken. HG and SS are Gold and Silver remakes, while ORAS are Ruby and Sapphire remakes. It wouldn't make sense for them to use a different storyline for those games than was in the originals.

I just hope that Nintendo and Game Freak realize that, when they do remakes for Gen IV, it isn't worth it to do a DP remake when a Platinum remake would be so much better.
I was also hoping for an ElectricYellow and a ChaosDeltaEmerald, but was disappointed in both cases...

@Alexander, your point is well taken. HG and SS are Gold and Silver remakes, while ORAS are Ruby and Sapphire remakes. It wouldn't make sense for them to use a different storyline for those games than was in the originals.

I just hope that Nintendo and Game Freak realize that, when they do remakes for Gen IV, it isn't worth it to do a DP remake when a Platinum remake would be so much better.
I was also hoping for an ElectricYellow and a ChaosDeltaEmerald, but was disappointed in both cases...
Maybe but two games make more money than one game. These days we see two games being released together and not a single game being released.

Maybe but two games make more money than one game. These days we see two games being released together and not a single game being released.
Also, Ruby/Sapphire were the best selling Game Boy Advance game EVER, period. Maybe that's an other reason why Game Freak decided to remake Ruby/Sapphire rather than Emerald. Ruby/Sapphire were played by nearly 3 times more people than Emerald. So, they are appealing to a bigger audience with Ruby/Sapphire remakes.

Last edited:
So, I've mentioned in a few other recent posts that I've been going through White 2 again. And I feel like I have to reiterate my decision to choose B2W2 in this poll. These games are so fucking packed that it's ridiculous. The world is so rich, with dense routes, Hidden Grottoes, Seasons, lots of dungeons. Even the route terminals are the best model yet, with the electronic billboards making the world feel a little more alive. But more importantly, there's just so much content. Between the PWT, PokéStar Studios, Musicals (if you didn't already complete them in BW - if you did, then hey, there's also all these other Memory Link features), the Black Tower/White Treehollow, the Habitat List and getting access to the Nature Preserve (granted, you need multiple games/consoles for this), all of the Legendary Pokémon, Seasonal N battles and other bonus bosses, managing Join Avenue, going through all of southeastern Unova, the Funfest Missions, and the little sidequests like the jilted ex-lovers at Celestial Tower, there's enough material in this game to last through a nuclear winter. They even threw in a freaking dating sim sidequest just for the blind hell of it. I almost don't believe that it all manages to fit on the cartridge.

HGSS wee. <33 Everything about those remakes I loved, like Pokémon following you (it was especially cute to see shiny Pokémon following your trainer, and they'd even come out of the Poké Ball with a sparkle! Nice touch~), the Pokéathlon was super fun and I wasted tons of hours on it, catching the legendaries in the post-game, exploring around Kanto and Johto and re-matching all the gym leaders (something I actually wasted lots of time on, got my shiny Crobat, Linoone (Ziggy), and Quagsire (Krys.) to the high 80s in about a few days), collecting all the items, TMs and HMs, and then just.. well, playing the game for what it was!

B2W2 are definitely close though, my second favourite games in the series. As the user above me said, the games are actually super packed and it's fantastic. I wasted around 100 hours on Join Avenue and nearby stuff alone. @_@

Based on the games where I've actually played through and beaten the main story/elite four, I'm tied between HGSS and ORAS. I loved the story and gameplay in ORAS, but I also loved the elements of HGSS like pokeathlon and pokemon following behind you.

ORAS is one of the best to me though. DexNav was fantastic. Combining that with elements from HGSS would make for the ultimate pokemon game in my opinion.

Usually the ones with the most single player post-adventure activities and local multiplayer options.

Emerald has metric butt-tons to do post-adventure like the battle frontier.

I really need to get a copy of BW2 too because that look like it fits the bill and I loved BW.

Although I like Pt a lot, my favourite game would be Emerald. I liked the Pokémon of that region, the soundtrack, storyline and gym leaders. I just felt really complete and warm for me

I doubt I'll ever play through another Pokemon game as many times as I played through new files of RBY, back when that was all we had...nor am I likely to find myself with similar childlike enamorment in a new Pokemon game release. But despite the intense nostalgia value, I can't objectively say that those games match up to the feature-rich experiences of today's games. With that in mind...

I vote for XY. It went way above and beyond the integration of online features compared to previous installments, and I think that was a game-changer (heh). You could argue that ORAS works similarly and has more content, but XY did it first, and more importantly, I find a brand new region and brand new story much more interesting to play through.

Last edited:
Gave my vote to ORAS, but I'm not gonna lie, it barely beats HGSS and Emerald. I put those three games above all the others for how amazing each one is.
Those 3 are my favourite games too, except, add BW2 to the list. That's my Top 4.

I still hold hope that if they remake DP, that they will totally overhaul the storyline and take points from Platinum and fix all the mediocre issues from DP. I can't wait for DP remakes. Platinum is definitely way up there for me. Though I hated Diamond and Pearl lol. Huge improvement to Platinum. Hoping that DP remakes are amazing, and the best remakes yet. Would love if they brought back following Pokemon, but I won't hold my breath. Hopefully they release them after Sun and Moon.

HGSS were also amazing. Absolutely incredible. ORAS was also very good (though maybe not as good as HGSS), with AS being especially close to my heart (Sapphire was my first).

Every pokemon game has its own strong points, but to be the very best, I chose the game that balances all very nicely. So even if I like BW for its powerful, exciting story, that's pretty much the one thing that defines BW with everything else being underwhelming.

It's a toss up between B2W2 and Platinum for me. Both have a ton of things to do - loads of side-quests, mini-quests, collectibles, diverse battles with varying difficulties, strong/lengthy post-game stuff, and a decent amount of dungeons, plus legendaries to go after. They're both challenging games as well - Platinum being notorious for the level curve, and B2W2 including two other difficulty modes which you can adjust to your liking, although still including important NPCs holding battle items, which is cool. Both have a memorable storyline, although not as strong as BW, but still well written. As for post-game content, Platinum has the Battle Frontier and daily NPC challenges, while B2W2 has the PWT and Black City/White Forest + daily/monthly challenges against Team Plasma representatives. The Elite Four and Champions pose as excellent threats, the level curve making Platinum very difficult to overlevel yourself, and B2W2 again having the NPCs use held items to their liking. And don't get me started on all the extra things to do in both games.

But I choose Platinum for a personal reason - a lot of my favorite pokemon and NPCs come from Sinnoh. And my most favorite Underground only exists in Sinnoh. I could stay in there and farm those fossils for days and weeks and months...

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom