• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

I got my first Spirit based on a legendary Pokémon, Kyurem.
I think mine was Xerneas, in adventure mode. Oh, and the Swords of Justice trio was a huge pain of a fight -- though, in the end somehow my Marth managed to get stage control and win.

By now we've rescued the 3 fighters at the initial crossroads, completed the Power Plant and Temple of Light sub-areas, and have moved on to the airport sub-area -- er, I mean "world tour".

I don’t own a Switch but I have been staying at a friend’s house and playing their copy of Smash Ultimate. I always like Smash even if Melee is the one that some people take way too seriously and coincidentally is my personal favorite. So, not much to say about how it plays, I just like how jam-packed it is, and I love playing as Snake again.

One observation I will share is that some of the Spirit Battles in World of Light are crazy difficult, like straight up it’s like there’s a “Crazy Mode” difficulty setting which is the total opposite of Funky Mode. I’m not complaining though, I’m actually very happy that there’s difficulty in the game. I think Smash 4 kinda skimped out on the difficulty in single-player content, and while that’s better than Brawl’s, which was boring, I’m glad Ultimate is back to feeling like something I’d play every day after school as a kid trying to get good. I love the time I’ve spent with the game, and if I ever buy a Switch it’s a no-brainer for me.

I don’t own a Switch but I have been staying at a friend’s house and playing their copy of Smash Ultimate. I always like Smash even if Melee is the one that some people take way too seriously and coincidentally is my personal favorite. So, not much to say about how it plays, I just like how jam-packed it is, and I love playing as Snake again.

One observation I will share is that some of the Spirit Battles in World of Light are crazy difficult, like straight up it’s like there’s a “Crazy Mode” difficulty setting which is the total opposite of Funky Mode. I’m not complaining though, I’m actually very happy that there’s difficulty in the game. I think Smash 4 kinda skimped out on the difficulty in single-player content, and while that’s better than Brawl’s, which was boring, I’m glad Ultimate is back to feeling like something I’d play every day after school as a kid trying to get good. I love the time I’ve spent with the game, and if I ever buy a Switch it’s a no-brainer for me.
I just like to take silly pictures. Like this one:

file

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here already (I didn't really scroll through all 16 pages, oops), but I'm actually pretty pleased with how beefed up the level 9 AI's have gotten! I've always felt they were... for a lack of a better word, lacking, in Smash 4. It's nice to see that they're more challenging, now.

WoL AIs are frustratingly difficult sometimes, too. Especially Stamina Battles; the 13K ones are annoying as heck to do. @_@

Might be an unpopular opinion: I'm glad they removed Master Fortress and Master Core. I felt they were extremely hard, and the fact that they locked two songs behind them is kinda infurating for me, since the only way to unlock them is to beat them two and three times with different characters respectively and barely managed to beat them once. Doesn't help that each time you lose the difficulty lowers, giving me only three tries to beat it.

At least Ultimate's Classic Mode bosses look manageable this time around and you only need to beat it on 9.9 difficulty once to get the unlockable thing this time around. Then again, I'm judging that from YouTube videos, so I might get surprised when I get the game.

This might be needless to say, but I think the overall difficulty of Ultimate's Classic Mode really depends on who you main. I think the closest I've gotten was Zelda at 9.8, and I've heard it's easiest with her, but idk.
I think I could manage to do it with Bowser, but that's because, with the exception of Melee, Bowser have been an "easy mode" for me. Or King K. Rool since it looks like it's overpowered enough for me to beat the game without much frustration.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here already (I didn't really scroll through all 16 pages, oops), but I'm actually pretty pleased with how beefed up the level 9 AI's have gotten! I've always felt they were... for a lack of a better word, lacking, in Smash 4. It's nice to see that they're more challenging, now.

WoL AIs are frustratingly difficult sometimes, too. Especially Stamina Battles; the 13K ones are annoying as heck to do. @_@
Not me. Level 1 CPUs all the way for me.

Might be an unpopular opinion: I'm glad they removed Master Fortress and Master Core. I felt they were extremely hard, and the fact that they locked two songs behind them is kinda infurating for me, since the only way to unlock them is to beat them two and three times with different characters respectively and barely managed to beat them once. Doesn't help that each time you lose the difficulty lowers, giving me only three tries to beat it.

At least Ultimate's Classic Mode bosses look manageable this time around and you only need to beat it on 9.9 difficulty once to get the unlockable thing this time around. Then again, I'm judging that from YouTube videos, so I might get surprised when I get the game.
Eh, at least you can listen to the songs on YouTube anyway.

It does help that beating the final boss in Classic Mode gives you an Intensity boost before declaring your final score (not the case back in Smash 4). To get to 9.9 from 5.0, you need only +0.7 per stage (and I've personally seen as high as +1.2) .

My current record is 8.6 with Falco.

I got a bit mad at Chrom, so I set him to start with intensity 0.0 . It seems that the total intensity bonus is affected by which intensity you originally started at -- e.g. I play well, score a quick KO with little damage and only get +0.3?

Isabelle also currently holds my record for lowest intensity finish ever (at 0.6). Yes, you have to be playing deliberately bad (and a few SDs don't hurt either) to get a final score this low.

Okay, I don't think this warrants a full-on spoiler alert since this one's a minor, low-level Support Spirit enemy, and I'm probably just being a petty nit-picker here, but this one just baffles me.

DtvwTVOV4AIp84q.jpg

The actual name of this girl is Komurasaki; the localization team didn't even bother to just look up a game for like a few seconds.

....Okay, I never played that game at all and don't plan on to, but wouldn't it feel outright jarring if a character you loved from some media is represented in a crossover, and then said person ended up being labelled "Something from Something"? I'd feel terrible if a crossover incorporated a few Touhou characters and yet name them all as "Girls from Touhou"

Last edited:
The highest I've gotten in Classic mode is with both Ryu and Zelda. Both being at 9.8 which is annoying because of that one challenge of getting 9.9 lol.

Strange happening in Classic mode, I played as Pit and somehow managed to keep high intensity, even though most of the matches had me running for my life due to the disgusting combos that for whatever reason, the CPU would get it perfect each time they do it. So, I have managed to reach 9.9 by the time I got to Master Hand and Crazy Hand, thankfully Dark Pit became my teammate to help fight against the Hands, he got knocked out after finishing off Master Hand, but I managed to finish off Crazy Hand before the stunning attack happened.

Don't be afraid to use Classic Mode Tickets to try again if you're trying to accomplish the 9.9 intensity challenge, they allow you to try to finish the fight without lowering the intensity. Do keep in mind that they are very limited, so if you plan to use them for this purpose, do so with a character who you do extremely well with, or do it when the game gives you teammates, a few examples of Classic Modes that give you teammates to help you fight against bosses are those Pit, Dark Pit, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and maybe Mewtwo? Also make sure you're having exceptional victories if you're trying to do this challenge, the "Nice Play!" message is a good indicator of achieving those victories.

Don't be afraid to use Classic Mode Tickets to try again if you're trying to accomplish the 9.9 intensity challenge, they allow you to try to finish the fight without lowering the intensity. Do keep in mind that they are very limited, so if you plan to use them for this purpose, do so with a character who you do extremely well with, or do it when the game gives you teammates, a few examples of Classic Modes that give you teammates to help you fight against bosses are those Pit, Dark Pit, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and maybe Mewtwo? Also make sure you're having exceptional victories if you're trying to do this challenge, the "Nice Play!" message is a good indicator of achieving those victories.
Well, once I get the game, I'll save as much tickets as I can to prevent the frustration I had with Smash 4. How do you get them, aside from challenges?

For Classic my two highest has been Chrom with 9.8 and Cloud with 8.9, going to have my brother try it out and see how high he gets.

Well, once I get the game, I'll save as much tickets as I can to prevent the frustration I had with Smash 4. How do you get them, aside from challenges?
Aside from challenges you can get them as rewards sometimes in Classic Mode, Spirit Board, and the shop sells them as well.

Back
Top Bottom