• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Welp, there was nothing interesting for me in this datamine, just one question: Why was Pichu nerfed?
Because it's a balance patch, and Pichu needed the nerf anyway. It's stopping people throwing out spammable attacks (looking at you f-smash, no reason to have a frame 5 kill move when Pichu wasn't lacking in them) and having to actually commit more to using him makes it better.

Besides Peach/Daisy and Olimar also got hit by the nerf hammer as well, Wolf got a mix of buffs and nerfs. Some mid to low tiers characters got some welcome buffs though. Captain Falcon, Bayonetta, Lucario, and Bowser Jr. are the most welcome for buffs from a few posts I've seen and talked to. But overall, this is a pretty good balance patch that a lot of fans are loving so far. Now people are just waiting on new tier lists and see how this patch affected them. (still disappointed for no Robin buffs though)

Because it's a balance patch, and Pichu needed the nerf anyway. It's stopping people throwing out spammable attacks (looking at you f-smash, no reason to have a frame 5 kill move when Pichu wasn't lacking in them) and having to actually commit more to using him makes it better.

Besides Peach/Daisy and Olimar also got hit by the nerf hammer as well, Wolf got a mix of buffs and nerfs. Some mid to low tiers characters got some welcome buffs though. Captain Falcon, Bayonetta, Lucario, and Bowser Jr. are the most welcome for buffs from a few posts I've seen and talked to. But overall, this is a pretty good balance patch that a lot of fans are loving so far. Now people are just waiting on new tier lists and see how this patch affected them. (still disappointed for no Robin buffs though)
Oh. Man, I feel weird seeing Pichu get nerfs when I still only have access to Melee!Pichu.

Part of me guessing for Smash: “Banjo-Kazooie”

Another part of me guessing: “Resident Evil rep”

Rest of me: “Shut up, you aren’t Sakurai, every guess you make is wrong. Stop speculating and give up, Lord-Arceus.”

Don't think Banjo is likely, thanks to how Microsoft sent Rare to Kinect hell. On Resident Evil: Don't use RE5 Jill. If her MvC moveset is any indication, I would hate her.

EDIT: Apparently, Rare is almost out of hell. Although Sea of Thieves was apparently a disappointment, there's a Battletoads game coming up. Hopefully they don't suffer from executive meddling like they did with BK:N&B and Conker.

Last edited:
Don't think Banjo is likely, thanks to how Microsoft sent Rare to Kinect hell. On Resident Evil: Don't use RE5 Jill. If her MvC moveset is any indication, I would hate her.

EDIT: Apparently, Rare is almost out of hell. Although Sea of Thieves was apparently a disappointment, there's a Battletoads game coming up. Hopefully they don't suffer from executive meddling like they did with BK:N&B and Conker.
I also insulted myself to save you guys time.

This is not insulting you. I commented on what you said, that's all. No need to put yourself down all the time.
Other sites put me down whenever I made suggestions and hopes on future characters...besides, don't a lot of successful comedians and celebrities make fun of themselves, like all the time?

Last edited:
My God, Banjo is actually in Smash, the end is near. Also I didn't expect them to use lots of DQ heroes instead of just Erdrick, but it's not that out of place since they are pretty much interchangeable.

Ironically, I was actually content during both Smash reveals. No screaming, no jumping, no having a seizure.

My God, Banjo is actually in Smash, the end is near. Also I didn't expect them to use lots of DQ heroes instead of just Erdrick, but it's not that out of place since they are pretty much interchangeable.
I was surprised for Banjo-Kazooie as well, never thought I'd see it happen tbh.

Now I'm even more curious on the final two DLC characters.

Yeah, at first I'm like "okay, so it's a Dragon Quest hero" but then I see other DQ heros (particularly #8, the one DQ I've actually played) as costume swaps and NOW it has my attention. Apparently his (down?) special is access to an HUD menu for various spells/abilities, otherwise yeah he did sort of look a little too much like, say, Mii Swordfighter in moveset.

And that Banjo-Kazooie reveal was gold. At first I'm like "okay, so it's like the K.Rool reveal, but -- wait, there's K.Rool ... wait, was that a Puzzle Piece?" Then the Duck Hunt trolling and will the real Banjo-Kazooie please jump in?

Never played Banjo-Kazooie back in the day, and I've only ever seen it firsthand recently (a local gameshop has a copy and set it up on the counter. I roamed around the hub area for awhile but didn't really do anything with it.)

Mostly because I don't want to be like the guy who broke his thumb (and shelf) after hearing about Snake returning in Ultimate.

What the hell? That happened?
Yeah he's talking about the YouTuber Etika, he broke his shelf in excitement when Smash Ultimate was revealing their "Everyone is Here" trailer. Don't remember if he broke his thumb though, but he apparently did almost have a heart attack in one Smash video when he was wearing a heart monitor.

Yeah he's talking about the YouTuber Etika, he broke his shelf in excitement when Smash Ultimate was revealing their "Everyone is Here" trailer. Don't remember if he broke his thumb though, but he apparently did almost have a heart attack in one Smash video when he was wearing a heart monitor.
Okay... I admit that I did get a little hyper when they revealed Ultimate, but I didn't know people would go that far.

I’m really pumped about both reps. The Dragon Quest heroes just look really cool; I’m totally down with 4 characters for the price of one and it’s the closest we’re gonna get to Goku in Smash - I wonder if that meme had anything to do with their inclusion ;) I also love how Ultimate gave so many characters little unique quirks on certain characters’ damage meters and this fits right in with that.

And oh wow - Banjo; I was really hoping for it as someone who got their gaming start in the 64 era. It’s so cool to see everything come full circle like this.

I wonder if that meme had anything to do with their inclusion
Highly doubtful. Dragon Quest is pretty popular in Japan, so if anything it's simply fanservice for Japanese Smash and DQ fans. There's also that one leak a few of us talked about here a few months ago that it's also a possibility to get DQ more exposure in the west, according to a Japanese leaker.

I’m really pumped about both reps. The Dragon Quest heroes just look really cool; I’m totally down with 4 characters for the price of one and it’s the closest we’re gonna get to Goku in Smash - I wonder if that meme had anything to do with their inclusion ;) I also love how Ultimate gave so many characters little unique quirks on certain characters’ damage meters and this fits right in with that.
DQ is one of the most popular RPGs in Japan.

Highly doubtful. Dragon Quest is pretty popular in Japan, so if anything it's simply fanservice for Japanese Smash and DQ fans. There's also that one leak a few of us talked about here a few months ago that it's also a possibility to get DQ more exposure in the west, according to a Japanese leaker.
You’re both probably right. I was more being facetious because Toriyama :)

Back
Top Bottom