• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

I would rather not guess at new characters -- right or wrong it spoils the surprise factor.

Hopefully they won't reveal TOO much prerelease information, like with the last two gens of Pokemon games.

I expect that because the Switch has a Capture button, and the ability to filter pictures by game, there will not be an "Album".

Last edited:
Aww yeah, ya'll. Anyone else get only 3 hours sleep just to catch this direct? I regret nothing though.

K.Rool! Simon Belmont! Richter Belmont too surprisingly. Chrom too. And Dark Samus I guess.

I was most surprised by the random Monster Hunter crossover thing. Very big surprise there.

Aww yeah, ya'll. Anyone else get only 3 hours sleep just to catch this direct? I regret nothing though.

K.Rool! Simon Belmont! Richter Belmont too surprisingly. Chrom too. And Dark Samus I guess.

I was most surprised by the random Monster Hunter crossover thing. Very big surprise there.
I only slept for 5 hours.

Also, my reaction:

happy:

> that we got playable dark samus
> that we got a cool castlevania stage (I'm not a fan of castlevania, but I can respect wonderfully spooky locations and characters)
> that alolan exeggutor and pyukumuku appear in all their derpy glory
> that brinstar depths, fountain of dreams, and pirate ship are confirmed to return
> that we're now getting monster hunter representation
> the 'mystery mode' makes me more optimistic for a subspace emissary
successor, but maybe I'm still being overly optimistic...
> the location rathalos appears as a boss appears to be a stage dedicated to its fight, could suggest what I just mentioned or at least a boss battles mode

sad:

> that simon doesn't use one of his hotter incarnations
> that mimikyu was deconfirmed as a playable character :c

Great, 5 characters I don't care about.

The stage morph seems fun for casual matches. The mode where you pick a lineup of characters also seems cool. Too bad it's only 3 or 5 and not customizable.

As someone who lives and breathes videogame music, 800+ tracks is a but excessive. How will I ever listen through all that to decide what to put on my phone?

In my timezone the Direct was mid-morning, so I didn't have to do anything special.

Plus, that K.Rool reveal was epic. Dedede, you troll.

the 'mystery mode' makes me more optimistic for a subspace emissary successor, but maybe I'm still being overly optimistic..
Well, to start, what other menu options have been colored green in Smash history?

I'd love for a Wii style Stage Builder to come back, Smash 4's stage builder was garbage. Yes you could create more complicated terrain (including to the actual blast lines) but it just didn't have the personality or accessibility as Brawl.

Great, 5 characters I don't care about.

The stage morph seems fun for casual matches. The mode where you pick a lineup of characters also seems cool. Too bad it's only 3 or 5 and not customizable.

As someone who lives and breathes videogame music, 800+ tracks is a but excessive. How will I ever listen through all that to decide what to put on my phone?
Let the internet rip the songs first.

I’m not even caring about the fact he’s been relegated to being an Assist Trophy but seeing Shovel Knight in Smash Bros is an impressive feat not just for the game but also the developer.

Just imagine making an indie game which then gets popular and then Nintendo goes and adds your character in a big profile game, it’s just insane.

Well we got Chrom, that's really all I wanted or cared about haha

I'm also really loving the high number of stages; there's no way I'll ever get bored with that many. I can't wait for this game.

I'm also really loving the high number of stages; there's no way I'll ever get bored with that many. I can't wait for this game.

They're counting the Omega versions of the stages which are Final Destination and Battlefield that only look different.

No more echo fighters please.

I'm looking forward to K. Rool and Simon and can't wait to have a Ditto helping me fight.

I should admit that I've only played three Castlevania titles (Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia), and I've only beaten the first two.

Are there any stages missing from past games? Or are they going to include everything?

Fun fact: This isn't the first crossover game that includes Bomberman, Simon and Snake. The first one was DreamMix TV World Fighters, a somewhat entertaining Smash clone by Takara, Hudson and Konami. The roster in that game was... random, to say the least.

EDIT: About the characters:
-Well, I kind of wanted Simon in the game after playing DreamMix (and to hear a remix of Bloody Tears).
-Richter was completely unexpected.
-Dark Samus is someone I didn't want in the game. If we needed more clones why didn't they choose someone else, like Ninten, who is someone that has been mysteriously absent from Smash.
-Same with Chrom, even though I know he was going to be in Smash eventually.
-King K. Rool... well, I suck at Donkey Kong Country, so I don't know much about him. I'll give it a chance once I get the game.

I liked the Stage Morph feature, it gives me even more reason to play with all the gimmicks and items!

Last edited:
Are there any stages missing from past games? Or are they going to include everything?

Some stages are definitely not there, at least not yet. Samus and Fox's stages from the first game for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Dark Samus is someone I didn't want in the game. If we needed more clones why didn't they choose someone else, like Ninten, who is someone that has been mysteriously absent from Smash.
On average, a clone character needs only a fraction of the development time required for a completely new character. After all, you basically just take an existing moveset and make tweaks! And because it is being developed on a schedule, the dev team can plan out in advance how many new characters they should be able to make, and fit clone characters into gaps too small to build a new one.

-King K. Rool... well, I suck at Donkey Kong Country, so I don't know much about him. I'll give it a chance once I get the game.
His Smash moveset combines several of his appearances (and personas) from DKC as a series:
- His crown boomerang throw was a signature attack in DKC1 (from which his appearance is based).
- The pirate hat and blunderbuss attack are his signature from DKC2 (where he was pirate themed).
- The propellor backpack is from DKC3 (where he was mad-scientist themed).
- Boxing gloves are from DK64 (where his boss battle was boxing-match themed).
- Final Smash is also from DK64.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom