• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

What kind of modes are there besides regular smash, Classic, and World of Light?
Any prizes for playing Classic and W.O.L.?

Well, for World of Light there's the Spirits themselves, I think. Maybe Classic unlocks the fighter spirits? I don't know.

The only other mode I know of is Mob Smash, which is the new Multi-Man Smash. There's All Star Mode, but that got turned into an Endless Smash Mode.

By the way

Am I the only one that is disappointed that Palutena is the last character unlocked if you go by Vs. Mode? Here's the unlock order:
1-Ness
2-Zelda
3-Bowser
4- Pit
5- Inkling
6- Villager
7- Marth
8- Young Link
9- Wii Fit Trainer
10- Ice Climbers
11- Captain Falcon
12- Peach
13- Ryu
14- Ike
15- Jigglypuff
16- King K. Rool
17- Sonic
18- Simon
19- Zero Suit Samus
20- Little Mac
21- Isabelle
22- Shulk
23- Lucina
24- Wario
25- Ridley
26- Pokémon Trainer
27- Lucario
28- Daisy
29- Roy
30- King Dedede
31- R.O.B.
32- Falco
33- Luigi
34- Pichu
35- Richter
36- Lucas
37- Diddy Kong
38- Meta Knight
39- Snake
40- Ganondorf
41- Corrin
42- Mega Man
43- Bayonetta
44- Toon Link
45- Rosalina & Luma
46- Incineroar
47- Sheik
48- Olimar
49- Pac-Man
50- Dark Samus
51- Wolf
52- Mr. Game & Watch
53- Robin
54- Dark Pit
55- Cloud
56- Duck Hunt
57- Ken
58- Greninja
59- Chrom
60- Mewtwo
61- Bowser Jr.
62- Dr. Mario
63- Palutena

If you mean if the fight is difficult, I can't tell since I don't have the game. If you mean by unlock method, no one has a hard unlock condition.
If you do it by Vs. mode fights, Ridley is the 25th character you unlock.

If you do it by classic mode, you have to complete these characters' classic modes: Yoshi - Lucario - Marth - Ryu - Ganondorf - Lucina.

If you do it by WoL, he's found in the World of Dark. Apparently, you have to fight a Creature and Flea Man spirit before him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got Lady Palutena.. She was the last character i had to unlock.. I kept getting every other single character aside from her :'(

I was so excited to unlock Pokemon trainer and finally get to play as Ivysaur again, but I feel like they've ruined him. His cones don't reach as far and he's just... Too different. Kinda sad, but I'll keep trying to make him work.

Still have yet to get Olimar tho... :cautious:

Piranha Plant isn't being distributed until February. And yes, World of Light does have difficulty settings. (I haven't played much of World of Light yet, though - I've been working on unlocking everyone through Classic mode)

To those that already have Smash, does the World of Light have difficulty settings?

EDIT: Also, do you already have Piranha Plant?
There's easy, normal, and hard. So not as extensive as the difficulty settings in Subspace Emissary. Also, I've only done normal and some of the matches kick my add, so I'm afraid to try hard. I also haven't looked into whether or not you can change the difficulty after choosing at the start.

There's easy, normal, and hard. So not as extensive as the difficulty settings in Subspace Emissary. Also, I've only done normal and some of the matches kick my add, so I'm afraid to try hard. I also haven't looked into whether or not you can change the difficulty after choosing at the start.
Welp, it will be Easy for me, then.

Piranha Plant isn't being distributed until February. And yes, World of Light does have difficulty settings. (I haven't played much of World of Light yet, though - I've been working on unlocking everyone through Classic mode)
I guess I misunderstood the Smash post, then. I guess I still have time to get it free.

Okay, so Joker is basically the only new character that they've revealed on Ultimate that I care about. I'm super excited to play as a Persona user in Smash because I'm not really interested in the Persona Arena series. (I don't like 2D sprite-based anime fighters.)

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying this game a lot more than Smash 4 so far. It controls so much more smoothly, and I love the animation effects. Everything is more flashy and powerful-feeling. I'm quite enjoying Ivysaur as well, though I dislike how slippery Squirtle feels, and Charizard's okay except for Flare Blitz, which is even more dangerous than it was before. It makes you slide off the edge way too much and I've died with it numerous times when I pressed side B by accident. I'm trying to just stick to Ivysaur.

Mii Gunner also has a better feel and flies up higher with its Up-A. And I like the less chibi proportions of the Miis overall. Mine has a butler outfit. :3

World of Light is NOT co-op, which disappointed me so much to find out. My husband and I were planning on playing through it together, and this limits our options now as playing against each other over and over again gets old. There's Classic mode, at least, and that new weird mode Smashdown, where you go through the entire roster of characters in a series of fights and can't select one once it's been used in a battle. That one IS co-op and will be a great way to get a feel for other characters. There are a few other modes that can be co-oped as well, but we really wanted that experience of playing through a Subspace Emissarylike mode as we did in Brawl.

Also, we've already unlocked ALL of the characters by a simple and cheesy method -
1. Fight a match with 1 stock.
2. Have one person jump off the edge. (Or just defeat a level 1 computer real quick if you're alone)
3. New character appears. Defeat them.
4. Close the game and then open it again.
5. Rinse and repeat.

Every single time, a new character has appeared for us.

Last edited:
I'm making November 10, 2019 my deadline to get everyone unlocked in the base game.

Also, we've already unlocked ALL of the characters by a simple and cheesy method -
1. Fight a match with 1 stock.
2. Have one person jump off the edge. (Or just defeat a level 1 computer real quick if you're alone)
3. New character appears. Defeat them.
4. Close the game and then open it again.
5. Rinse and repeat.

Every single time, a new character has appeared for us.

I read that a recent patch got rid of this method.

Buy songs? Please tell me you're talking about game money and not microtransactions.

I saw a W.O.L. video yesterday and you start out with Easy or Normal (which the game recommends for some reason).

Buy songs? Please tell me you're talking about game money and not microtransactions.

I saw a W.O.L. video yesterday and you start out with Easy or Normal (which the game recommends for some reason).
In-game money, thankfully. As far as I know, aside from Spirits and characters, music is the only other thing you unlock IIRC.

I'm actually saving my coins until I get both Viridi's wig and dress.

For...reasons.

Back
Top Bottom