• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

*sees that the new stage cycles between different areas* Just add Spyro right now, Sakurai. This and Skyloft are more or less how a Dragon Realms stage could work. Heck, it wouldn't be the first time you add a character that is unpopular in Japan (Banjo).

I guess timing is also kind of problematic, since the non-Sword protagonists are few and their games end up being released when there's no chance to get into Smash.

EDIT: Adding to this, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I guess the only time they could have used a non-sword user would have been in Melee, since they didn't know exactly who else from FE to include and they settled for Roy way too late in development, to the point his internal name is just "Emblem".
They could've added in Alm and/or Celica from Gaiden, both still use swords but Celica can also use magic and Alm does gain access to a bow after promotion, though I'd assume it'd be odd to only add one of the lords from Gaiden instead of both for obvious reasons (also they'd probably just make Alm use the Falchion only anyway). Sigurd from GotHW is another option they could've gone with since he's a mounted unit that can use both sword and lance, but he does also share his game with Seliph (whom promotes into the same class as his dad, but like Alm they'd probably just make him a standard lord) and that could cause some possible hesitance for adding him, that and Seliph is slightly more relevant to FE4's story anyway. Roy was most likely used for promotion of his game at the time, since it was originally supposed to be released before Melee before it got delayed.

Brawl could've added in Micaiah from Radiant Dawn since she's a mage, but Ike overshadows her eventually anyway. I assume they didn't bother with Hector and Ephraim either due to them also sharing their own games with other lords, plus their games not being new installments at that point. And while I did say I wished either Dimitri or Claude were in Ultimate, I understand it kind of wouldn't work to add in just one lord from Three Houses and ignore the other two.

Honestly I just wished they'd allow for other characters from FE to be in besides the main lord (at least Robin isn't the lord but it would've been an obvious choice to add them anyway for being one of Awakening's main characters). Like give me Caeda, Ares, Soren, Lewyn, Tiki, Lukas, Rath, etc. instead.

This is a minor nitpick, but looking at the Garreg Mach Monastery stage again I'm surprised that Felix isn't a background character with Dimitri, I get Lorenz and Hilda with Claude and Petra with Edelgard, but I'd assume they'd add Felix with Dedue (instead of Ingrid) since having them both there with Dimitri makes the most sense; also not adding Hubert or even Ferdinand with Edelgard puzzles me as well, though I guess Dorothea was put there since she's a pretty popular character. Also I think they'd should've had Linhardt somewhere in the background of the Reception Hall sleeping on one of the tables, or even Sylvain flirting with girls at a table, would've been a neat nod to their personalities (Linhardt loving to nap, and Sylvain being a flirt + at the reception hall you see him with a group of girls before you go out on one of your missions).

As for the second fighter pack, if one of the characters is a third party I hope it's Spyro. Like prog rocker mentioned his stage can be similar to Garreg Mach's changing gimmick just with the Dragon Realms from the first game, or they can always have the first homeworld of each game in the original trilogy instead to also represent Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon (plus Elora, Hunter, Professor, and Bianca can be background characters as well). Or if not Spyro then maybe Crash Bandicoot, since he's more popular in Japan compared to Spyro.

I'm honestly sure who to expect for the 3rd party. We've had the most shocking representatives, ranging from Banjo to Terry.

The only thing that I'd say is that find Sora very unlikely unless SquareEnix decides to port KH 3 to Switch and wants to advertise it in a similar vein to DQ 11 S. Though to be fair, Normua say that he did consider a Switch version in an interview, but only after PS4 and Xbox one launch. ( Which I'm hoping for ).

As for Disney, I remember reading that they own rights to all the Disney properties, while SE owns original characters and Final Fantasy.

Or if not Spyro then maybe Crash Bandicoot, since he's more popular in Japan compared to Spyro.
Why not both? That would also compensate the massive waste of potential that was PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale by having them together here. The soundtrack of the Crash games is also extremely catchy and I feel the Wumpa Islands would make a good stage. Also, the Spyro games were only unpopular in Japan thanks to executive meddling (like adding those annoying signposts and making Spyro slower).

The only thing that I'd say is that find Sora very unlikely unless SquareEnix decides to port KH 3 to Switch and wants to advertise it in a similar vein to DQ 11 S. Though to be fair, Normua say that he did consider a Switch version in an interview, but only after PS4 and Xbox one launch. ( Which I'm hoping for ).

As for Disney, I remember reading that they own rights to all the Disney properties, while SE owns original characters and Final Fantasy.
I don't think consoles matter that much, considering Cloud was only in two Nintendo games before debuting in Smash (and way before they announced the massive FF drop for the Switch).

Also, I thought it was Disney that owned the original characters instead of Square?

Do you think that Masahiro Sakurai has future plans to announce Super Smash Bros. mobile game app for the iOS and Android devices? Why?

Why not both? That would also compensate the massive waste of potential that was PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale by having them together here. The soundtrack of the Crash games is also extremely catchy and I feel the Wumpa Islands would make a good stage. Also, the Spyro games were only unpopular in Japan thanks to executive meddling (like adding those annoying signposts and making Spyro slower).

I don't think consoles matter that much, considering Cloud was only in two Nintendo games before debuting in Smash (and way before they announced the massive FF drop for the Switch).

Also, I thought it was Disney that owned the original characters instead of Square?
Oh you are right Disney own everything from Kingdom Hearts. Weird, cause they never bothered to feature it in Wreck-It-Ralph.

Disappointing how obnoxious SmashBoards can be towards Byleth. Seeing the salt reminded me why I don't go there. People should stop barking against Sakurai when he went out of his way to get Cloud, Banjo and Kazooie, and Joker to name a few. Byleth was just an easy character from a game that deserved the honor! Give him a break! At least he listens to people and grants requests. Unlike GF, who does whatever they want, like giving Kanto starters and Megas and Gigantamax forms, while not giving the Johto starters anything, despite there game selling just as good as Red and Blue.
Do you think that Masahiro Sakurai has future plans to announce Super Smash Bros. mobile game app for the iOS and Android devices? Why?
Nintendo mobile games have been really hit or miss. There are some games that are very generous, like Fire Emblem Heroes and Dragalia Lost, and others like Mario Kart Tour and Pocket Camp who charge you subscription services which cost you more than Switch online. Considering Smash's critical claim, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo tried to profit off it like they did for Mario Kart Tour.

Disappointing how obnoxious SmashBoards can be towards Byleth. Seeing the salt reminded me why I don't go there. People should stop barking against Sakurai when he went out of his way to get Cloud, Banjo and Kazooie, and Joker to name a few. Byleth was just an easy character from a game that deserved the honor! Give him a break! At least he listens to people and grants requests.
Didn't he tell people to stop sending him requests, which is reasonable knowing how... persistent some people are (for the love of God, stop spamming Waluigi!).

Unlike GF, who does whatever they want, like giving Kanto starters and Megas and Gigantamax forms, while not giving the Johto starters anything, despite there game selling just as good as Red and Blue.
Not exactly true. RGB=38 million. GS=23 million. Not defending the choice of giving the Kanto starter more things, though.

Disappointing how obnoxious SmashBoards can be towards Byleth. Seeing the salt reminded me why I don't go there. People should stop barking against Sakurai when he went out of his way to get Cloud, Banjo and Kazooie, and Joker to name a few. Byleth was just an easy character from a game that deserved the honor! Give him a break! At least he listens to people and grants requests. Unlike GF, who does whatever they want, like giving Kanto starters and Megas and Gigantamax forms, while not giving the Johto starters anything, despite there game selling just as good as Red and Blue.
Honestly the hate and overreaction for Byleth is quite tiring and annoying. It's one thing to be disappointed and not like their inclusion, fine, but sending Sakurai death threats, telling him to quit over this, and even attacking fans of FE and people happy for Byleth as a fighter is too much. Imagine being this mad over a fictional character in a video game, like really.

It's toxic people like this that ruin a community:
Screenshot-77.png

Didn't he tell people to stop sending him requests, which is reasonable knowing how... persistent some people are (for the love of God, stop spamming Waluigi!).

Not exactly true. RGB=38 million. GS=23 million. Not defending the choice of giving the Kanto starter more things, though.
Oh. Still huge sales though. I wonder if the reason why Waluigi is not part of the roster is because he has never actually appeared in a Super Mario game. Every playable character has appeared at least once, including Daisy, who appeared in Super Mario Land, as well as Super Mario Run. Waluigi only appears in spin-offs as Wario's partner. May also explain why Birdo isn' Yoshi's echo fighter, never in a Yoshi ga
Honestly the hate and overreaction for Byleth is quite tiring and annoying. It's one thing to be disappointed and not like their inclusion, fine, but sending Sakurai death threats, telling him to quit over this, and even attacking fans of FE and people happy for Byleth as a fighter is too much. Imagine being this mad over a fictional character in a video game, like really.

It's toxic people like this that ruin a community:
Screenshot-77.png
Yeah, that's just sad. Its not even funny. Someone's dog is in pain, and your taunting someone because of their interest in Byleth. The toxicity gotten too far.

Oh. Still huge sales though. I wonder if the reason why Waluigi is not part of the roster is because he has never actually appeared in a Super Mario game. Every playable character has appeared at least once, including Daisy, who appeared in Super Mario Land, as well as Super Mario Run. Waluigi only appears in spin-offs as Wario's partner. May also explain why Birdo isn' Yoshi's echo fighter, never in a Yoshi ga
1) I don't know. On one hand, I see no reason for his exclusion considering Piranha Plant of all things made it, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to indulge the annoying memers (is that right word?).

2) Being from a different series didn't prevent Ganondorf from being Captain Falcon's clone (in fact, I recall it was the reason he is in the games at all), but I feel that Birdo could do better being apart.

1) I don't know. On one hand, I see no reason for his exclusion considering Piranha Plant of all things made it, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to indulge the annoying memers (is that right word?).

2) Being from a different series didn't prevent Ganondorf from being Captain Falcon's clone (in fact, I recall it was the reason he is in the games at all), but I feel that Birdo could do better being apart.
But Pirahna Plant has appeared in the Super Mario games.

Last edited:
But it's only a "mook", which is less than a character in my opinion. Heck, it was only chosen as a troll move if I recall correctly.
Perhaps, but there’s other characters like Duck Hunt and Wii Fit trainer who can be considered that too. Remember Sakurai wants to introduce new styles of fighting with the new characters, Perhaps that’s why Pirahna Plant was introduced.

Back
Top Bottom