• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

So I've been mucking around with Sephiroth since he dropped early (the challenge wasn't all that hard even on very hard once you got a handle on his AI. Beat it with Terry on my second go with GO SAUCE since the AI couldn't handle the kill confirms into Terry's supers), and I like how he handles. Plus, he's the first DLC in this pack that I actually at all wanted (the fact we got Min Min over Twintelle is SOME BULLSHIT and Steve is... bleh. I mean I get it Minecraft is big and all (hell I LIKE Minecraft), but just a weird inclusion), so that's nice.

I don't think he's going to be my main (Terry and Ike are gonna stay as my primaries as I'm still trying to master Terry and Ike is old reliable who can clutch me out a win when needed in a set), but definitely a secondary that I'm going to enjoy playing. He's agile in movement and he's got a couple of disgustingly good kill confirms (a true kill off shield break at zero with giga flare -> f-smash which is true). However his moves have huge ending lag and his recovery is exploitable (struggles to snap to ledge much like Terry's, the displayed arrow makes it so your opponent can easily position and gimp). I see him being high mid-tier once people master the matchups on both sides.

Tbh given how huge minecraft is, I wouldn’t call it forgettable in the slightest, but you do you.
Minecraft is the biggest selling video game of all time, so definitely not forgettable. If anything, I honestly feel like Minecraft was more likely than Banjo-Kazooie thanks to being popular and being available on Switch and 3DS.
So who's excited for Pyra/Mythra coming next month? I thought it was pretty neat seeing actual Xenoblade Chronicles 2 characters make it in as fighters, they also look really fun to play.
Me. Xenoblade 2 is a fantastic game
Ditto. Xenoblade 2 and ARMS were games that did not get a character thanks to bring released due to bad timing, so its wonderful they get their rep. With Pyra and Byleth, I got my most wanted into Smash, so I'm good. That being said, despite playing Xenoblade 2, I have yet to start it simply because my game log is full and I'm busy, but this gives me as reason to start. Xenoblade DE was my game of the year last year, so I'm definitely excited now.

So who's excited for Pyra/Mythra coming next month? I thought it was pretty neat seeing actual Xenoblade Chronicles 2 characters make it in as fighters, they also look really fun to play.

*waves hand * Ooh! Ooh! I am, I am!

It's bizarre how they specifically went with Pyra and Mythra using a switching gimmick like Zelda and Sheik used to do. This was EXACTLY what I wanted to see out of a Xenoblade 2 rep. I just never thought it could be possible, as I figured Rex had to be the playable, so I resigned myself to it and thought about how they could implement the blade girls into his battle style. I couldn't think of anything that wouldn't just be like Joker with Arsene or Ice Climbers with a passive Nana. This was really the best case scenario, and I'm really happy for it.

I suppose since this is my first time on this thread, I outta put in my thoughts on the last two fighters.

Who I personally want to see are Phoenix Wright from the Ace Attorney series, and Shantae from the... Shantae series. Yeah I know their chances are pretty abysmal compared to bigger names, but they're special to me and I'll still root for them. I'd be fine with Mii fighter costumes of them as well.

As for who I'd actually expect? Well considering Nintendo themselves are picking the roster, and judging from what we've already seen, they're pushing promos for their own recent games like ARMS and Xenoblade, as well as heavily popular 3rd parties. like FF7 and Minecraft.

With that in mind, my safest bets are for an 8th generation Pokemon, and possibly a Monster Hunter rep. MH is being heavily pushed by Nintendo recently, especially with MH Rise coming out next month, and Pokemon is Pokemon.

In regards to which fighters they'd be? For the Pokemon rep I don't know if Nintendo will make Sakurai pick a specific one or if he'll be allowed to choose whatever. If it's the former, Nintendo would probably push a 'main' Pokemon like Cinderace, Kubfu/Urshifu, or Zarude. If Sakurai is allowed to pick, I think he would go with something popular yet potentiality fun to play as, tops choices would be stuff like Dragapult, Toxtricity, or my personal favorite pick, Dracovish.

As for Monster Hunter, I imagine people wouldn't be looking too forward to another swordfighter, and I highly doubt they're going to give a MH rep five different weapon movesets like some people seem to think they'd do. Giving them a hammer as their primary weapon would certainly help set them apart from many other fighters, and even dual swords would at least be more different than Sephy and Pythra. But one idea I thought of that might make them interesting is to use the new Palamute wolf creature as a mount the MH rides on and fights that way, or maybe even the Palamute as a standalone fighter could work. I also thought of using a Palico cat itself as a fighter, regardless of the weapon they'd stand out from the rest of the pass as a light and tiny fighter.

I have to wonder why they're sharing the same fighter slot though. Sakurai made it a point to split transforming characters apart in the previous game. Seems kind of weird to go back.

I have to wonder why they're sharing the same fighter slot though. Sakurai made it a point to split transforming characters apart in the previous game. Seems kind of weird to go back.
Pokémon Trainer looks at you in the distance.

The thing is that throughout the entire game if you haven't played, they're the same person even with their differences. Swapping between the two is a core mechanic of the game, knowing to use whichever when best suitable or story-wise. So it makes sense why they have a shared spot, though I'm more confusing how why they are separate as different fighters (Pyra's #79, while Mythra's #80), could just be easier to code them as separate fighters instead of the same as one due to how different their moves and effects are.

Pokemon Trainer wasn't in the previous game. It was all Charizard.

I know they're the same person. But so are Samus and Zero Suit Samus along with Zelda and Sheik.

Pokemon Trainer wasn't in the previous game. It was all Charizard.

I know they're the same person. But so are Samus and Zero Suit Samus along with Zelda and Sheik.
Yet they swap characters again in this game, so it can happen again now. We should just wait until Sakurai Presents to find the answer.

They removed transforming characters last game because it caused problems on the 3DS IIRC and they wanted both versions to have the same roster, which is something I like.

Man, with two DLC fighters representing base-game franchises (Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra), and how the latter and Min-Min were spirits in the base game and thus taking down the "Spirits deconfirm" conundrum to nonexistence, little Bandana Waddle Dee really does feel like a possibility all over again. I'd perhaps be even happier; if a Shinya Kumazaki/present-day Kirby era character such as Magolor, Taranza, Susie, etc. shows up; but hey, anyfin'll satisfy me.

To a lesser extent, the possibility of an 8th-gen representative doesn't seem so far off. I'd rather have something other than Rillaboom; nothing against it personally. I'd personally want some more Pokemon representative to fill the gaps of 3rd gen and 5th gen, moreso the former since at least the latter had a unique stage to itself, but 8th is the most natural possibility.

Back
Top Bottom