• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Super Training

Soooo...I stupidly went to the Amazon website for the Pokemon X&Y like, "I WANT THIS!!!" Then realized I wouldn't get it until October... :-( good price for it though.

Anywho, I'd like to find out more about the gyms, the pokemon and more on fairy type. Also about the special training and the skates.

I'm wondering how ST will handle the leftover 3 EVs or however many it is. If you just set your pokemon to train in some stat, I'm sure it won't stop with the last full 4 that it can get. It makes it a hell of a lot easier for people who never knew EVs existed, but I'm sure some people are going to stick to their guns of doing it the old fashioned way. Would make the Power items pretty useless if nobody ended up raising EVs the old fashioned way.

As long as it's faster than previous EV training, I'm on board. But if I'll be gaining 1 EV for a 3 minute game... no thanks.

Can't wait to try it though.

I'm wondering how ST will handle the leftover 3 EVs or however many it is. If you just set your pokemon to train in some stat, I'm sure it won't stop with the last full 4 that it can get. It makes it a hell of a lot easier for people who never knew EVs existed, but I'm sure some people are going to stick to their guns of doing it the old fashioned way. Would make the Power items pretty useless if nobody ended up raising EVs the old fashioned way.
Well, if they change the breeding mechanic then yeah, say good-bye to the Power items. You won't need them if they drop the whole passing a parent's stat via Power item and breeding. But I'm sure some will want to get their hands dirty and EV train the traditional way.

I may use ST for some of my team but I'm not sure who. Until I know more about it, I'll do it the hard way so I won't screw it up too badly. Or pitch in someone who just happens to be fodder and not worry much about it.

I'm wondering how ST will handle the leftover 3 EVs or however many it is. If you just set your pokemon to train in some stat, I'm sure it won't stop with the last full 4 that it can get. It makes it a hell of a lot easier for people who never knew EVs existed, but I'm sure some people are going to stick to their guns of doing it the old fashioned way.

It's pretty easy to just completely max the two stats you want 252 EVs in, then use a single EV-lowering berry on each stat and do the rest by hand. Certainly easier than doing it by hand from the bottom up.

I'm not too sure what to think of Super Training yet. I was actually kind of hoping it would make EXP grinding quicker, though it does also sound like a godsend for EV training. Maybe I'll actually get back into that with this.

Ok...stupid question: Is EV just a simpler way to say evolving or does it apply to something else?

Ok...stupid question: Is EV just a simpler way to say evolving or does it apply to something else?
"EV" is short for "Effort Value", which is a fan term for what Game Freak calls "Base Stats", which are stats typically earned by fighting battles, but not exactly from levels.

I suppose this means that I won't end up having a team with max HP EVs from Audino grinding. That won't be awful.

So basically it's EV training mixed with Pokéathlon. YES. Mainly I'm happy because it introduces anime style training of - actual training like athletes instead of defeating opponents to the games.

I'm really liking what I see so far with Super Training. It sounds a like a much easier way of EV training and I'm all in for that. I only started EV training in the last generation, so I don't mind trading the traditional methods with items and battling different Pokemon for something like this. I'm not the best at mini-games, but if this makes the EV training process easier and faster to do, then I'm all for it. It sounds fun at least and I'm eager to try it out.

This is great news. Since it's going to be attached to the bottom screen, it'll make training even easier and it's incredibly handy. You can EV train on the move! OwO

One thing that confuses me is if the previous EV training method still works or not. Do our Pokemon still gain EVs from battling others? If not, it's going to be so much easier to control the EV gain. (because that was incredibly annoying if you got it wrong) This also makes me wonder if the EV reducing berries will continue into this generation as well.

I'm definitely in favor of Super Training. EV training is a pain, no matter how you put it. Well, was. At least now people don't have to go through the tedium of manual EV training just to not get decimated in online battles.

Last edited:
I'm definitely in favor of Super Training. EV training is a pain, no matter how you put it. Well, was. At least now people don't have to spend eons EV training just to not get decimated in online battles.
EV training doesn't really take up that much time; it's more IV breeding that takes more time.

EV training doesn't really take up that much time; it's more IV breeding that takes more time.

IV breeding definitely takes a lot more time, but EV training is still tedious. I see your point though, and have edited accordingly.

I'm definitely in favor of Super Training. EV training is a pain, no matter how you put it. Well, was. At least now people don't have to spend eons EV training just to not get decimated in online battles.

That's true. The actual EV training is the easiest and quickest part of it (As long as you use vitamins, power items and Pokerus) It's the planning, Breeding and the level training that all takes much longer.

The Super Training mechanic has been elaborated on during today's Pokemon Smash episode.

[video=youtube;YKqxRbWiP5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKqxRbWiP5o[/video]
- You can select the training regiment you want on the bottom screen. Each regiment is represented by a circle containing a pokemon balloon (i.e. Magneton) you must attack using soccer balls.
- Each circle is color coded for a certain stat (i.e. Blue for Special Attack). When you click on a circle, the top screen will show how many EVs your pokemon will gain in that stat if it completes the regiment.
- For the Magneton regiment, you have to reach 1500 points in 3 minutes for your pokemon to receive the maximum 8 EVs in Special Attack. (As a reference, the Geodude regiment requires you to obtain 400 points in 3 minutes, and its regiment is colored orange for Defense.)
- Each regiment can be categorized by levels. The higher the level, the more points you need to score in 3 minutes to complete the regiment and the more EVs you can potentially gain in a stat. Magneton's regiment is described as a Level 2 event. Geodude's regiment is probably Level 1.
- It seems each pokemon balloon gives out the same EV stats as their natural counterparts in the wild.
- Your pokemon loses points (in the game) if it is hit by the balloon's attacks.
- The green bar to the right of Sylveon's stat spread is the total EV meter. It increased slightly when Sylveon gained 8 Sp. ATK EVs.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom