• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Super Training

Any other lefties struggling with Super Training?

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I had a quick search and couldn't find anything on this topic. Sooo... if you're left-handed and tried out any of the Super Training mini games, you probably know that they use right-handed controls. I've tried a lot of different methods, many weird and wonderful ways of using my left hand to hold both the stylus and operate the circle pad. I've also given using my right index finger instead of the stylus a go, which kinda works. But because of the weird way I have to hold my hand to both hold up the DS and make sure I can reach the screen, I tend to get awful cramp in a few minutes. It's not such a big deal to me as I haven't used the feature that much. But, then again, maybe I would if I could actually play it properly! Basically, I'm just curious if any other lefties out there have had problems with it, and interested to hear ways people have got around it.

I guess the only real solution would be to have another circle pad on the right of the 3DS?

Re: Any other lefties struggling with Super Training?

Part of the southpaw problem in Super Training is that while the Circle Pad moves you around, the D-Pad adjusts your distance (forward/back) and that's not something you can just mirror -- sure, they could swap the functions of the Circle Pad and ABXY (the latter seems to have no function anyway) but then you lose some of the precision in movement. (Not enough to be a game breaker, though.)

As for me, I don't have a problem. Lower levels of Super Training I could get by by toggling between the Circle Pad and left-handed touchscreen/stylus, but I'm sort of mixed-handed (I mouse right-handed, for one) so it's no big deal to aim and shoot with my right hand and move with the left.

Ah to be ambidextrous! I have absolutely NO dexterity in my right hand, I have to use a left-handed mouse etc. I think my hands must also be really small as I struggle use stylus and circle pad at the same time. I had no clue the D-pad did anything either, so that definitely sinks my second circle pad plan! As I said, it's not that big a deal for me, but I was curious if anyone else had found something that worked for them.

Ah to be ambidextrous!
Most "ambidexterity" is technically just mixed-handedness (cross-dominance). I can't exactly write with my right hand, and I find mousing with my left hand strange; but I can use a touchscreen stylus from either side (though I do prefer the left).

Thoughts on Super Training.

title says all. what do you guys think of super training in Pokemon X and Y?

for me... i absolutely hate Super Training. I think it's a repetitive and stupid way to increase your Pokemon's stats. And it's pretty much required to do in order to actually get somewhere when battling online or with friends, which is absolutely annoying. Even worse, I'm left handed. Since there's no option for left handed players to play this bull, I'm left in the dark and can barely even play this mode. I really wish gamefreak created an easier way to train Pokemon like this, because it is a great concept. but even with me being left handed, Super training is boring and monotonous. It has nothing new to offer with its regimens, and I swear it just loves to troll players by giving them terrible rewards when you work so hard to complete a regimen. Since this mode is near-essential to use in the game, i constantly feel like I have to play it. Since i think this mode is monotonous, and i'm left handed, i don't want to play it. if i don't play it, my Pokemon won't get stronger. if they aren't stronger, i'm repeatedly going to lose with friends and online, which i have MANY times. Don't get me wrong, Pokemon X and Y are great games. But it's bad enough that i can barely control a feature in something as controller friendly as Pokemon, and when something as rewarding and fun as training Pokemon turns into something repetitive and only gives you a sigh of relief that it's finally over, you have a problem.

If this mechanic comes back in OR/AS, i really hope they at least add a left-handed feature, because if it wasn't for this one feature, X and Y would be my favorite mainstream games.

i kinda made this topic because i really needed to rant about how much i hated this feature in the games. :p But i also wanted to know what you guys thought of this feature in X/Y.

Re: Thoughts on Super Training.

Considering that the only other way(s) to raise these particular stats is through expensive vitamin supplements (which can only raise them to a point) or through even-more-repetitive grinding against specific opponent Pokemon that only the wiki knows which ones you're looking for, Super Training is a welcome and very efficient means for training your Pokemon.

Also, it's the only place in the entire series where you can actually view these stats in the first place.

Re: Thoughts on Super Training.

I thought it was okay.

Then I found out about Horde EV training and never touched it again.

I actually enjoy Super Training. For me, it's a way to bond with a new Pokemon and see its potential. It's also nice to see the EV spread; I've had to fix a few physical battlers who were given special EVs. Though I will admit, some of the mini-games can be annoying; the Special Defense level 3 drives me nuts. >.<

I never found it useful. If it was introduced in an earlier gen it may have been more useful.

Horde battles are a much better way if increasing EVs

I found it dull, personally :/ I mean, it's cool if other people liked it but I honestly preferred Pokemon Amie.

It's completely inferior to Hordes for EV training. But it does have some good things like the reset bags and it's an okay way to get evolution items.

It's really fun to let your Pokemon whale on a Team Flare bag, just to see your Pokemon get perked up. And I also love the Soothing bags; just reading the captions while your Pokemon is punching them is hilarious. (These fists tell a story... a story of love and friendship!)

I just wish I could get the ribbon from the NPC at the cafe from it. No matter what I do, I'm never awarded that ribbon. =/

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom