• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Suppose they did a Pokemon Anime Character Origins Series?

owenpeterson

Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of superhero comics such as Batman, X-Men, etc. tend to make side stories which cover the origins of the superheroes and supervillains. WatchMojo even has a superhero and supervillian origin section. There's even an "Arkham Origins" game for the Batman villains.

So, I got myself thinking, Why couldn't the Pokemon anime do an "Origins" series for its characters?

This is different from the "Pokemon Origins" because it's completely separate from the actual Pokemon anime.

They'd already done each of the TRio, specifically Meowth in "Go West, Young Meowth" so why not go in depth with several other characters as well.

I think it would be a great way to give some complexity to several characters such as Ash, Misty, Brock, Tracey, Professor Oak, Gary, May, Max, Dawn, Iris, Cilan, Delia, Giovanni, etc.

The ones that I'm most curious about are Ash, Misty, and Giovanni.

-Ash's backstory would help make us understand why he wants to become a Pokemon Master so badly. It could also help make him a more complex character with many layers that could help Ash's character improve over his flaws that the writers themselves have been refusing to do for such dumb reasons.

-I did a blog awhile ago covering what I believe to be how Misty got such a bad temper. I always had a hunch that it was as a result of an unhappy childhood. I've always been curious about Misty's backstory and I think that this would be one of the best episodes of the series.

-Giovanni in the anime only appeared occasionally, mainly to focus on the TRio, so there's very little we know about the Team Rocket Boss. I guess the creators want there to be so much mystery surrounding the leader of the number one Pokemon criminal organization in the world, that nobody wants to find out anything. But it still makes me more eager to discover it.

What do you think of an anime series covering the origins of several characters? and Who's backstory are you most curious about?

For misty I would assume that having 3 older sisters who constantly would call her a runt among other things would give anybody a bad temper...

I think that the dream of becoming a Pokemon master is a popular dream between kids and nothing else. It Ash would have an idol or some special reason to do it we would probably know by now.

It won't happen with the anime's current policies, but its fun to think of the possibilities. Here are mine, expressed in question form:

-Misty: What motived her to achieve for a higher title than her sisters (and possibly her parents), in this case, Water Pokemon Master? What are the steps to being one?

-Tracey: Where is he from? What was he planning to do before meeting Ash? What is preventing him from travelling around the world?

-Serena: Is her mom retired? If not, how does she feel about the competitions? Why did they move from Kanto to Kalos? Did she tried other goals and activitied before the series?

-Giovanni:Everything.

I don't think the rivals have actually that much potential.

Im all for writers giving us insight in characters past we all know and love. Backstories, from where they originate, their families and how did childhood, growing up and society surrounding them molded their personalities turning into persons they are today.

If there is something what we truly need and often feels lacking in pokemon anime is lack of depth and extra layers to someone personality. Person motives, ideas, reasoning behind having passion and affinity for pursuing certain dreams etc.

So to start things of while i would obviously appreciate each and every major supporting characters and both current and ex main characters being given episodes exploring on their pasts, experiences and adventures they exprienced as kids or youngsters.

This three down below are characters i crave to find more about the most:
Ash:- i find it preposterous and saddening how most important character and main star of entire pokemon series is know so little about. We only know he is childhood friend with Gary building up rivalry from their earliest years and as of recently shoehorned Summer camp event where he met Serena, but anything else?

Not really. I wish we could learn about all kind of adventures younger Ash and Gary together had at outskirts of Pallet town. Various mischief situations, disagreements and competition they had between them. Becoming closer as friends over time even brreaking rotten pokeball in half as symbol of that.

It would be cool to hear about his grandfather who was once great pokemon trainer traveling acros the world.

Find out about Ash ever so awaited by many fans father and what was reason behind leaving family without coming back home for years. How did this affected Ash since her had only Delia taking care of him and if Ash may have hold anger and resentment of not having father by his side when growing up teaching him pokemon basics and how to catch ropes.

In case father left upon Ash birth he wouldnt even remember him or know how he looks like, better justifying fact that Ash never mentioned him in show.

Although ray of hope for seeing Ash father in future does exist to develop his character if writers feel need to do it according to interview with mr. Hidaka.

Misty:- if there was something obvious from very start is how Misty was portrayed as person which hold lot of pent up frustration, anger and insecurity toward her older sisters.

Im really curious to see writers dive into Misty well judging by flashbacks and her talks pretty tragic childhood for pokemon standards.

See what caused Daisy, Lily and Violet to degrade and underestimate Misty and how she felt about it knowing she has no one else to rely on. Because this left traces on her confidence and security based on what was showed in pokemon anime. Developing tough, abrasive exterior to hide her fears and insecurity beng pretty closed up person, unthrusty and always felt need to be independent not relying on other people hgelp.

Well she still likes to be defiant and selfsufficient being feisty by nature, but she is more open and compassionate too after maturing and having Ash/Brock enter in her life.

Takeshi Shudo also brought up in novelizations how Misty and her sisters were abandoned/left by parents at young age being left to take care of themselves. Maybe lack of parental love and care through childhood may have been trigger behind Misty developing neede to grow up fast for her age, stop being dependant on anyone and not be crybaby or looking for anyone pity sucking things up as evidenced through anime in often encouraging others to do same fighting for themselves and stopping to view themselves in negative light like Ash after loses.

Which diving into Misty childhood could explain and fill up missing pieces of puzzle.

Most of all im curious to find out how Misty journey looked like after leaving Cerulean gym and before meeting Ash. Because by time she met Ash Misty was already one of Cerulean gym leaders and had not one, but three pokemon on her team(Staryu, Starmie and Holdeen)not being beginner.

So hearing about her adventures, what was Misty first pokemon and what those earlier years and life looked like for her would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe Misty inherited from her mother such deep passion and love for water pokemon, claming to idolize Lorelei from E4 since earliest days in OI and striving to become water pokemon master one day, possibly first female of E4 using water pokemon one day(catching up to her idol) . Who knows maybe Misty mother or father are professional water experts well known in other parts of world becoming water masters themselves; foreboding if were lucky eventual reunion between parents and daughter invoking frustration and insecurity of being failure in their eyes if writers decide to do more with Misty in future?

Or they could be professional swimmers and movie stars explaining why Misty sisters are so much interested in acting, fashion modelling and doing water shows. Becoming pretty famous in Cerulean and outside of it stars.

So much potential.

professor Oak or known to some as Samuel:- he is one of most enigmatic characters in pokemon world.

He is famous and respected by society and science circles pokemon researcher, one of top experts. If not even the best one in examining on relationship between pokemon and humans and all kind of bonds created between them.

But thats not what prof. Oak did for his whole life. We know based on his encounter with Ash in 4th movie how he was real adventurer, Pokemon trainer full of enthusiasm, love for pokemon and somewhat clumsy nature.

It would be great to get recap of Oak adventures as teenager and young adult. All kind of cool places, people, battles and tournaments he entered. How much this encounters, learning and difficulties he was faced with affected him as person and process of going through life.

When and how he met Ash mom Delia becoming very good friend with her. Infact if im not mistaken Spencer Hale from third movie and Ash mother were prof. Oak students.

I would like to find out how succesful as trainer Oak was and what made him change his mind becoming pokemon researcher over time. Going by games Oak and Agatha were childhood friends who became topo class trainers in world eventually with Oak decision to after some time becoming researcher leaving her disappointed.

It would be cool if this detail found its way into main anime during narration of Oak life and al kind of yourneys when he was in his younger, more brisk years. :-D

Ash's dad is that surfer dude from the end of Kanto. He sits at home, smokes a lot of dope and surfs when then waves are gnarly enough. He just wants to live in peace.

I'm just going to be happy the day we see Tracey as a child. Seriously, he's the only one whom we don't really know anything about his past.

Awhile ago, I propsed an idea of what it would be like if they did a spinoff focusing on a young Professor Oak when he traveled around with Agatha and Kurt.
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/hypothetical-idea-professor-oak-special-164216/

I still think it would be kinda neat, and Fairy Tail did it recently with Fairy Tail Zero(which focuses on the first master of the guild), and while FT is a terrible Manga It still is a good example.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom