• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Surnames

Blackjack Gabbiani

Back due to popular demand!
Reaction score
I've noticed that hardly anyone has any surnames, especially in the Japanese version. While this doesn't seem a problem with the younger characters, it's pecular with the older ones (prompting Oak to refer to Hanako not by her given name, but as "Satoshi's mother" even when addressing her).

My question--do surnames simply not exist in wide practice in that world, or is it a convience of the writers and we are to assume that the characters *do* have them?

Yeah... that's a tough one.
I've been to many sites around and I've seen that some people have added them in. I dunno if they just made them up or what though.

I wish they did though, because I think it gives a more fuller picture of the character in your head.
So, in answer to your question, I think the writers think that we would just, assume characters have them.

I think it makes sense to assume that surnames are used in the Pokémon world.

I think it's like some shows in the U.S. (you know, "go, Dexter's family, go"...) where though they may really have and use them, the writers prefer not to use them. Why? Eh... I don't know. Perhaps humor. I can't see how inconvenient it would be to give them even a random surname compared to the alternative, i.e. awkward things such as Ookido-hakase referring to Satoshi's mother as... "Satoshi's mother."

That one in particular baffles me. If Team leaders can be addressed by their given names, why can't Oak summon the cohones to call the woman up the street by her given name?

That is strange. But doesn't he occasionally call her 'Delia' as well?

Tv.com Pokemon Chronicles Cast....

It says the voice actor then the person they play...and that is what it said.

IMDB shows them as Misty Williams and Brock Harrison, but that site is also not to be trusted.

No one seems to have any family names - except for Ōkido really. It is also known that Sapphire is Odamaki Sapphire, and Yellow is Yellow de TokiwaGrove (which is more a toponym than a family name...)

I suspect that in matters of surnames, the Pokemon world bears some resemblance (though not perfect) to premodern Japan. The vast majority of families do not have surnames, and people who do not are referred to by their hometowns (e.g. Satoshi of Masara Town).

That sounds reasonable, but what if there is more than one Satoshi from Masara Town? How would you differentiate people with the same first name who come from larger cities?

Wasn't that done with occupation and parents' names? So he may be "Hanako's son Satoshi, from Masara". And if there's more than one Hanako there with a son named Satoshi, he may be "Satoshi, from Masara, the son of Hanako the gardener"

I think they just left them out of the anime because it's easier to remember one name rather than two. They obviously have them, but in a show geared towards children, how often do you have characters with more than one name? Maybe it's more common in Japan, but just off the top of my head, I can't think of that many animes who have characters with more than one name. And certainly not the ones geared towards younger viewers. But maybe I'm just blocking stuff out.

Heh...I think Pocket Monster's target audience is slightly younger than Yu-gi-oh's.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom