• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SV Leaks and/or Rumours Thread

I found it weird when I learned that there were Digimon that were just humans in fancy clothing.
Digimon can get away with that since from day 1 it was canon that the Digital World absorbs data from the human world and it literally warps the Digimon living there, hence why you have angel type Digimon and the like that are humanoids.

The key difference between Digimon and Pokemon, though, is that Digimon actually talk. They are more like people, so having humanoid Digimon isn't strange.

Pokemon don't talk. We collect them and put them in balls and make them fight battles and treat them as pets. While human-ish pokemon isn't outright wrong, forcing you to have to choose between three humanoid starters is still very annoying to those who'd rather play with that person/pet relationship in mind.

And gawd if the idea of rubbing Incineroar's tummy wasn't the most awkward thing. Feels like sexually harassing an anthro.

I know this was about sexualizing pokemon and not exactly about starters but ya know- it's part of the whole pokemon being humanoid issue. They really need to lean away from it.

Digimon can get away with that since from day 1 it was canon that the Digital World absorbs data from the human world and it literally warps the Digimon living there, hence why you have angel type Digimon and the like that are humanoids.

Here is the thing, though, humanoid Pokemon have been there from the beginning. Look at the Machop Line for example, mostly Machoke. What about Mr. Mime, Magmar, Electabuzz, and Jynx. They are humanoid, are they not?

Here is the thing, though, humanoid Pokemon have been there from the beginning. Look at the Machop Line for example, mostly Machoke. What about Mr. Mime, Magmar, Electabuzz, and Jynx. They are humanoid, are they not?
They are (well, all but Magmar, that one's not humanoid) and that doesn't make it less awkward. But you're also not forced to use them at any point and they're in no way an integral part of the game. Starters are forced on you from the beginning and have zero non-anthroslave options to choose from. Big issue.

That's not a fair option, though. That response is about as asinine as them saying "just box the rest of your party if you don't want to use exp. share."
I feel like there's a big difference between boxing a Pokemon you don't like and completely handicapping yourself.

I think that the two comments you quoted above were talking specifically about the starters and they have a point. Other than Decidueye (Rillaboom maybe?), most starters have been very humanoid since Gen 6. I know there have always been humanoid starters since Gen 1-2, since Blastoise, Charizard, Feraligatr are humanoid leaning, but we had other options like Venusar, Meganium, Torterra, Serperior, Swampert, Typhlosion. Some pokemon like Empoleon, Inferneape and Rillaboom are humanoid because they resemble animals that share the same body plan as humans, but that's it. Delphox, Greninja, Intelleon, Cinderace, Incineroar, Primarina, in the other hand, they look too humanoid.

I feel like there's a big difference between boxing a Pokemon you don't like and completely handicapping yourself.
Is it, when the pokemon you have to box is your starter and the early pokemon you encounter won't nearly match up? If you don't want to waste your time on something that you know you don't want to evolve, having to rush to get another viable option when the early game doesn't provide them is kind of crippling. And it sours the game experience.

All I ask is that they not make every single starter option evolve into a person. At least one monster per generation. Not that they do away with them completely, just make sure that there is at least one option for anyone who doesn't want to start their game off with a destined anthro slave.

They are (well, all but Magmar, that one's not humanoid) and that doesn't make it less awkward. But you're also not forced to use them at any point and they're in no way an integral part of the game. Starters are forced on you from the beginning and have zero non-anthroslave options to choose from. Big issue.

I guess you make a fair point. I do agree that the starters often are stronger than the Pokémon found before the first badge. Although, since in these upcoming games, we can go anywhere, we may have a wider set of options before the first badge (assuming we are doing the badge quest).

I guess you make a fair point. I do agree that the starters often are stronger than the Pokémon found before the first badge. Although, since in these upcoming games, we can go anywhere, we may have a wider set of options before the first badge (assuming we are doing the badge quest).
Hooopefully there'll be plenty of good options nearby that you won't have to venture far for because I don't think "run out to replace your starter" is really the first thing anyone wants to spend a significant amount of time doing on their pokemon journey. XP

But also I'm just hoping that Fuecoco grows up to be a beast and not a man. It's okay derpy crocodile, you don't need a job, I will take care of you- you just focus on biting my enemies and burning them to a crisp.

People saying humanoid critters aren't monsters seem to forget that the biggest monsters are humans themselves. :) 2edgy4me, still kinda serious tho And there WAS a time when humans and pokemon weren't so different in lore, after all. Dubs be damned that's what the original text said!

I just hope it looks better than Cinderace.

Hey what are the usual requirements to transfer pokemon from Home? I've never used it before, but if I can transfer a pokemon in from GO early, I at least have a backup plan for my starter issue. A lot of people would hate what it is.

Oh nevermind. I found the requirements for SwSh and they're ridiculous.

I'm 90% sure Digimon was made on acid.
I saw another digimon fan describe digimon as "pokemon but fucked up". In reality the origin premise was "tamagotchi but fucked up". (I can elaborate if needed but that's probably self-explanatory)

I also know a bit too much about digimon, and always happy to add evidence to the claim that the designers are high af

Hey what are the usual requirements to transfer pokemon from Home? I've never used it before, but if I can transfer a pokemon in from GO early, I at least have a backup plan for my starter issue. A lot of people would hate what it is.
That's literally my "box your starter and get a Pokémon you like" suggestion.

That's literally my "box your starter and get a Pokémon you like" suggestion.
Yeah, and it would have been a slightly more acceptable permutation of it if it wasn't plagued with the stupid "you have to have already caught it in-game first" requirement.

Plus the fact that I'd be willing to ship a more desired pokemon to the nearest pokemon center gas station doesn't mean that I think the fact that you have to plan on dumping your starter right away is an okay thing.

He's also revealing some stuff in the replies to that tweet. When asked if Sprigatito would become bipedal he says it "stands up."
I do feel like people are missing the fact that Khu specifically said that it stands up instead of just simply confirming its bipedal, which is why I am leaning more towards a "They are usually on all fours but will stand up for certain animations" direction rather than full on bipedal
Watch it stand on its front legs or something equally ridiculous instead of going humanoid. Either that, or we're getting cat-centaur after all.

He also says that it looks like some Pokemon that didn't make gen 8 still won't be in the base game, but he's not certain yet.
With "some" in there, it implies that at least some of the Pokémon missing from Gen 8 are in the Pokédex. That really should be their first priority though, because keeping a handful of species trapped for at least nine years or more would be too long for most players and would drum up a very anti-consumer image that TPCi should avoid.
tt9EgWV.png
Wait, the game isn't finished yet?! I'm kind of worried about the quality of SV now, as this statement makes it seem like Game Freak is rushing Gen 9 out the door.

Back
Top Bottom