• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SV Leaks and/or Rumours Thread

Does this mean I can finally throw out that "uncle" leak?
Yeah. Apparently it's just a compilation of rumors written with a dramatic flair anyway. I'd love to strangle the guy who thought doing that and letting it freely spread as "leak" was a good idea.

Glad to see Khu debunking both Eclipse and the "Uncle's" BS numbers.

Yeah. Apparently it's just a compilation of rumors written with a dramatic flair anyway. I'd love to strangle the guy who thought doing that and letting it freely spread as "leak" was a good idea.

Glad to see Khu debunking both Eclipse and the "Uncle's" BS numbers.

Yeah, I agree that it's really good to see those numbers get debunked. People were starting to act like it was fact. People I know IRL who only casually pay attention to the news were repeating that rumor to me as though Nintendo themselves had confirmed it. I don't think people realize how much impact fake leaks can have.

Anyway,

I've updated the repository. Here's to news this week. I really need it.

Game Freak needs a better PR department.

Or at least one of those weird commercials from the 90s.
Ah, yes, bring back whoever did the PL:A "but not as you know it" commercials! (Although I think those came out post-release.)

To be fair I sort of suspect based off a few things (it's Japanese name and getting paired with Meowth several times in the anime) that Sneasel is meant to be feline and the english version's name changed it to a weasel instead.
Sneasel was actually intended to be a weasel at the start! It's based on the kamaitachi legend, and its original design was much more weasel-like:
PokeGoldDemo-front_246.png

(Sprite from leaked Spaceworld 1997 demo.)

It's just after design revisions, we ended up with the Sneasel we have, then people started seeing feline in it and the rest is history.

Last edited:
Eh, as far as sneasel goes - it's definitely based primarily on a weasel, and clearly also meant to have feline aspects of it. Gamefreak has lumped it in with cat pokemon for years, if not since the beginning. (You can also say it has its japanese name is partially based on nya - which I think is intentional but also a double thing with another word that means sneaking, so that's not that important or for-sure) It's less that people started seeing feline aspects to it and more that Gamefreak occasionally presses the concept.

So considering Koraidon and Miraidon are Both Dragon Types

This makes me wonder about the Pseudo Legendary of the Gen.

Will that be another Dragon Type? Or something else to contrast from the Box Legends?
We had both Dragon cover legendaries and pseudo-legendary in Gen 4 and 5, so it’s not really an indication of what kind of pseudo we’ll get.

Considering we only had one Gen without a dragon pseudo-legendary, Gen 2, I’d say it’s more likely then not that we’d get a new dragon one, although I wouldn’t mind a new typing.

I really don't like to come across as impatient right now, and there's always the possibility that any news planned is probably going to be delayed at least a week after the assassination of Shizo Abe, but there's a part of me that kinda hopes they planned it for Friday and delayed it to this week. TPCI has done a terrible job at marketing SV so far and it really says a lot when we know less than half of what we knew about SwSh by July's trailer. I kinda miss SuMo's marketing campaign where they revealed too much now.

Foxes are in the same family tree as Dogs lol

And Gamefreak DID put Cyndaquil in the same image as all the other Mouse Pokémon 2020's Year of the Rat/Mouse
View attachment 161666

I agree that it is very shaky but I can see where the theory comes from

Amusingly enough, I didn't start taking it seriously until Scorbunny came along lol
(I was like: Wait? A Rabbit? Were the Zodiac theorists on to something???)

And 1 Generation later Fuecoco comes along and destroys it entirely lol

The problem i have with this is the inclusion of Cyndaquil, but also the Sandshrew line.

Sandshrew is based on a Shrew (Hence the name, but Shrews aren't rodents to begin with).
Cyndaquil is based on an Echidna (Not a rodent), but has traits of the Tenrec (Not a rodent), Shrews and Anteaters as well (The only one being a rodent here is the anteater). Looking at its evolutions though, it also resembles a honey badger with its eyes closed, which aren't rodents either. When the fires are lit, it resembles a Porcupine.

So... my main guess is that Sandshrew and Cyndaquil are only there because of their Pokedex classification as a mouse Pokemon, since if all the Mouse/Rodent Pokemon are on here, then i guess Emolga, Pachirisu and Dedenne ain't rodents/mouse Pokemon lol.

Like.... Fennekin would probably be mashed together with the Dog Pokemon, despite not being a dog (Yes, its a canine, but that doesn't make it a dog though, considering IRL its in a completely different genus from dogs).

So... my main guess is that Sandshrew and Cyndaquil are only there because of their Pokedex classification as a mouse Pokemon, since if all the Mouse/Rodent Pokemon are on here, then i guess Emolga, Pachirisu and Dedenne ain't rodents/mouse Pokemon lol.
Being on a Rat/Mouse year artwork does mean that the Pokemon is somehow considered to be a mouse or similar enough to be considered one.
Not being on the artwork does not mean the Pokemon is not a mouse. Nothing says the artwork was meant to be exhaustive, and the lack of all pika-clones, the most obvious mice of the franchise, is proof of that.

[*Insert all the people who said Fuecoco couldn't become a Quetzalcoatl because it would be "insensitive" to use a figure from Pre-Columbian society in a Spanish Region*]

:confused:
Isn't Rayquaza already inspired by Quatzalcoatl? It lacks the feathers but otherwise they are very similar. Not to mention we already have plenty of other Pokémon based on Pre-Colmubian societies like Sigilyph, the Natu line and even Mudbray in a way. I don't know to what extent GF takes the irl history of the countries they base their region on. I mean, they put the Indian elephant Pokémon Copperajah in British inspired Galar.
Bulbapedia said:
Given Asia's history with Britain and the use of captive elephants as working animals, Copperajah may be based on an Indian elephant with the digging bucket of a backhoe for a trunk. It may also be inspired by elephant statues often made of copper or bronze, which are common in Indian art and Thai art.
I wouldn't rule out other Pokémon based on Pre-Columbian cultures in the new region.

Last edited:
For those wondering why Cyndaquill was given the "mouse" designation, I'll just be lazy and re-quote my explanation from a different thread months ago. :confused:

Cyndaquill's JPN name is literally a play on "Fire Porcupine", the PokéDex listing it as a mouse is likely a case of a pun lost in translation since there are various classifications of the Rodentia genus (which porcupines are part of) such as Jinezumi and Togarinezumi (with Nezumi on its own meaning "mouse"). Besides, even if you think that's too much of a stretch, using the PokéDex is self-defeating since the Fennekin line is classified as the "Fox" Pokémon throughout and not "Dog" like your logic would suggest.

If you're still skeptical, have a gander at Oriden pointing out another example:
A similar thing happens with Quagsire's category of "Water Fish."
The Japanese word for salamander is sanshō̄o- it comes from sanshō ("japanese pepper") and uo ("fish").
Obviously Quagsire is not in any way a fish. It's a salamander.

Honestly it's a bit sad that the amount of new pokemon won't be as big as rumored. It would have been cool to have tons of new pokemon again. In gen 6 there were really few new mons and in gen 7 and 8 a lot of the new pokemon were really rare so you pretty much found mostly old pokemon.

Back
Top Bottom