• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SV Leaks and/or Rumours Thread

Honestly it's a bit sad that the amount of new pokemon won't be as big as rumored. It would have been cool to have tons of new pokemon again. In gen 6 there were really few new mons and in gen 7 and 8 a lot of the new pokemon were really rare so you pretty much found mostly old pokemon.
With all the form change gimmicks expected to come this gen I expect this gen to have the lowest number of new Pokemon ever for a new gen.

For those wondering why Cyndaquill was given the "mouse" designation, I'll just be lazy and re-quote my explanation from a different thread months ago.

If you're still skeptical, have a gander at Oriden pointing out another example:

Thanks, that is interesting to know.

While many people use that category to explain how Cyndaquill fits, I would say it is not really relevant and not necessary for the theory once we are OK with loose inspiration. And Pokemon Go, as shown previously, is the proof of this acceptable looseness.

Also, Gen 2 was supposed to be the last Pokemon games. It is very likely that at this time there was no zodiac pattern (there was no need for a pattern for 2 games), and - if such pattern exists - it started at Gen 3. And Cyndaquill was "retconed" as being the rat/mouse.
I will admit that suspected patterns have started to weaken. For example, water starters have always been based on real aquatic animals, except for Sobble which is a chameleon. Pokemon teams and directors have changed, so it might not be a surprise that some patterns were abandonned, but it does not mean they never existed.

FXV5YFuWQAE2spK

I don't know why but I've always considered the picture of the crocodile with the chicken as a hint to Fuecoco final evolution. Considering it has fire coming from its head, I imagined the design as a still (as if it was dead) crocodile that uses its ghostly fire as a trap. Basically the main body will not move (or hide in the ground) and the fire on its head becomes a chicken to attract the pray.

With all the form change gimmicks expected to come this gen I expect this gen to have the lowest number of new Pokemon ever for a new gen.

Yes; it seems plausible that, if the form changes are based on blending types together somehow, each individual Pokemon could have many more true variations available than before.

Yes; it seems plausible that, if the form changes are based on blending types together somehow, each individual Pokemon could have many more true variations available than before.
I doubt all Pokémon will get an actual form-change.

If it's universal, I bet it will be like Dynamax.

@RileyXY1 We have the faintest clue about the new mechanics. They could mean anything. We only know regional forms are returning, but that's hardly surprising. And some of those might evolve, which contributes to the total amount of new Pokémon.

I remember posting something on an earlier page without saying this part. I do sort of wonder about a chance that Pokemon Sleep will also bring alternate forms or evolutions that happen by them being in (whatever the sleep/dream environment will be) for enough days either consecutively or in general??

Perhaps not many, but maybe the starters??? I am not sure i will want to use the Sleep app personally, but, theoretically these different forms or evolutions could be freely traded!!

I doubt all Pokémon will get an actual form-change.

If it's universal, I bet it will be like Dynamax.

@RileyXY1 We have the faintest clue about the new mechanics. They could mean anything. We only know regional forms are returning, but that's hardly surprising. And some of those might evolve, which contributes to the total amount of new Pokémon.
If the new mechanic is actually related to type change it will clearly be something like dynamax. Probably when a pokemon becomes a fairy type it will gain a pink aura or something like that. Then, there will be 20-30 pokemon that will also change form like Megas, Gigamax etc.

If the new mechanic is actually related to type change it will clearly be something like dynamax. Probably when a pokemon becomes a fairy type it will gain a pink aura or something like that. Then, there will be 20-30 pokemon that will also change form like Megas, Gigamax etc.
Exactly. And while gen 8 had like the largest amount of new forms, it also had quite a few new Pokémon; More than Gen 6 and 7.

So, there's not necessarily a pattern.

Exactly. And while gen 8 had like the largest amount of new forms, it also had quite a few new Pokémon; More than Gen 6 and 7.

So, there's not necessarily a pattern.
That's true, but for me the new mechanic deisgns are not exactly new pokemon. When I first saw Megas back in 2013, it was ok for me to have less new pokemon and brand new "evolutions" but considering that since gen 7 those forms are created and then litterally forever forgotten with the next generation, I just don't care about them. Never used a gigamax pokemon in gen 8, don't even know all the pokemon who got one.

That's true, but for me the new mechanic deisgns are not exactly new pokemon. When I first saw Megas back in 2013, it was ok for me to have less new pokemon and brand new "evolutions" but considering that since gen 7 those forms are created and then litterally forever forgotten with the next generation, I just don't care about them. Never used a gigamax pokemon in gen 8, don't even know all the pokemon who got one.
Oh I definitely agree with you, I'd personally not like a new form-change mechanic to begin with.

@RileyXY1 Gen 8's amount of Pokémon at launch was bigger than Gen 6/7's. The DLC and PLA only added even more.

Don't know about you, but I'd rather see a new gen composed of 90 new pokémon than 120 made up of regional evos and regional forms. I like gen 3, 5 and 6 in this aspect, since all pokémon they introduced were entirely new.

Don't know about you, but I'd rather see a new gen composed of 90 new pokémon than 120 made up of regional evos and regional forms. I like gen 3, 5 and 6 in this aspect, since all pokémon they introduced were entirely new.
Well, in this case I would say the idea of regional forms and evolutions is a bit different. Those pokemon will be available in the future generations, so even if they are not exactly new pokemon, they are new designs that will exist outside of the games/generation they were introduced in. I like the idea of an evolution for Basculin or Qwilfish for example, even if they are not for their regular form.

Oh I definitely agree with you, I'd personally not like a new form-change mechanic to begin with.

@RileyXY1 Gen 8's amount of Pokémon at launch was bigger than Gen 6/7's. The DLC and PLA only added even more.
Actually Gen 8 had the same amount of Pokemon Gen 7 had at launch (both started with 81). I expect the number to be much lower this time around due to multiple form change gimmicks, including regional variants, the rumored regional fakes (which I believe will be based on the PULSE Pokemon found in Pokemon Reborn), and the new form change gimmick.

Actually Gen 8 had the same amount of Pokemon Gen 7 had at launch (both started with 81). I expect the number to be much lower this time around due to multiple form change gimmicks, including regional variants, the rumored regional fakes (which I believe will be based on the PULSE Pokemon found in Pokemon Reborn), and the new form change gimmick.
The new form change gimmick? Universal mechanics generally don't come with unique designs. It might have something to do with types, but it's all still vague. We have no clue.

Anyway, we also have no clue what 'regional fakes' are to begin with, they could be something entirely different. They might not even be real (obtainable) Pokémon, to begin with.

As I said before, this form-change discussion that has been going on lately really reminds me of Gen 7's Fusion-form discussion, or gen 8's Armour-form discussion (remember mecha Mewtwo? I remember). And look how many were wrong back then.

Oh and screw robotic/artifical forms of Pokémon, that would be a horrible new concept and opens a can of worms I'd rather have closed. We already have 'artificial' Pokémon, the likes of Golurk, Porygon, etc.

Well, in this case I would say the idea of regional forms and evolutions is a bit different. Those pokemon will be available in the future generations, so even if they are not exactly new pokemon, they are new designs that will exist outside of the games/generation they were introduced in. I like the idea of an evolution for Basculin or Qwilfish for example, even if they are not for their regular form.
I think I expressed myself poorly. I don't mind some cross gen evos like Electivire and Scizor, but regional forms... I don't know, sometimes I think we would be better off without those regional forms introduced in Alola and Galar. I hate that there's already lot of Meowth variants out there, even some untouchable like Samurott has a variant. Maybe I'm too old school for this, but I don't like to see starters getting regional evos like that. That's a line they shound't cross imo

Someone was wondering about what the pseudo legendary will be this gen and the chaotic neutral in me is just like.

tosses match

Pseudo legendary fairy-mon please. >:]

I don't care about the Legendary typing, as long as it isn't Dragon, because i am really getting tired of Dragon psuedo's after Gen 4. The only one i don't mind is Goodra, since at least it gives us something different with it being a pure type instead of a dual type.

Heck... you know what.

Make our very first Grass/Fire type the Psuedo.

I don't think having a news drought in July is that bad. My hope is that instead of having a 1.5 months long drought at the end (like it happened with SWSH) it's now happening at the beginning. Also, we're guaranteed something at Worlds (August 18th), in the prepandemic years the news weren't that great but this year is their big comeback so they might go for something bigger.

Back
Top Bottom