• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SV Leaks and/or Rumours Thread

Why are people pretending Wiglett is a literal recolor when it is not. It is quite similar but it moves differently, it's face is in a different location, and it has a different posture. They made an entirely new model and deliberately made it similar to Diglett in reference to the garden eel behaving like a Diglett.
Talk about taking things literally just to get away from the point though. I mean, I was the only one who used the word "recolor" and I obviously didn't mean it literally?

It's something very simple to understand actually. Meant to say "recolor" in the same way Galarian Ponyta, Zigzagoon, Alolan Vulpix were for their original forms. Not really a recolor, just old monsters with a new take on it. The difference is that previously this didn't take up dex slots and didn't count as new Pokémon, now this one does. It's no rocket science, really.

And I'm not even one of those who didn't like it, but the way you took what I said literally just to get off the point feels unnecessary. Why?
They did not recycle Diglett's model or otherwise take any shortcuts in the design process.
Again, I was the only one who mentioned models that way, but I never said they used the same model from originals for Alolan Meowth nor for Wiglett? But of course there are shortcuts in the design process for both cases. Why do you think not?

Last edited:
To be fair, Regionals in itself are already quite a boring concept (cool but boring). They're just recolours with small aeshtetic add-ons/changes that swap 2 stats around and nothing else. So not sure why people thought Wigglett would be much different. It's an awful design, yes, but it was always bound to look very close to Diglett.

To be fair, Regionals in itself are already quite a boring concept (cool but boring). They're just recolours with small aeshtetic add-ons/changes that swap 2 stats around and nothing else. So not sure why people thought Wigglett would be much different. It's an awful design, yes, but it was always bound to look very close to Diglett.
Maybe because it's not a Diglett form but an entire new pokemon. Clearly people expected it to be something more than a recolor.

Maybe because it's not a Diglett form but an entire new pokemon. Clearly people expected it to be something more than a recolor.
Except that we knew of this Pokémon ever since the start. It looked so much like Diglett even teh leakers thought it was some new gimmick or something posing as Diglett. With that knowledge, how can you possibly sit here and go "Wow, it looks exactly like Diglett but white and it gets loooong, this is lame, I expected something else". Like, yeah, that was to be expected, we knew that way back then already.

Except that we knew of this Pokémon ever since the start. It looked so much like Diglett even teh leakers thought it was some new gimmick or something posing as Diglett. With that knowledge, how can you possibly sit here and go "Wow, it looks exactly like Diglett but white and it gets loooong, this is lame, I expected something else". Like, yeah, that was to be expected, we knew that way back then already.
It's not like you cannot be disappointed because someone told it.

Talk about taking things literally just to get away from the point though. I mean, I was the only one who used the word "recolor" and I obviously didn't mean it literally?

It's something very simple to understand actually. Meant to say "recolor" in the same way Galarian Ponyta, Zigzagoon, Alolan Vulpix were for their original forms. Not really a recolor, just old monsters with a new take on it. The difference is that previously this didn't take up dex slots and didn't count as new Pokémon, now this one does. It's no rocket science, really.

And I'm not even one of those who didn't like it, but the way you took what I said literally just to get off the point feels unnecessary. Why?Again, I was the only one who mentioned models that way, but I never said they used the same model from originals for Alolan Meowth nor for Wiglett? But of course there are shortcuts in the design process for both cases. Why do you think not?
What point? They introduced a new Pokémon and people are calling Game Freak lazy over it. The point is that a deliberate decision to make two Pokémon similar is not lazy or taking shortcuts.

Also, behaving like I am specifically calling you out because other people didn't directly use the word "recolor" or "model" and simultaneously accusing me of intentionally not looking beyond the surface of what is being said is more questionable than anything else here.

there is definitely some elements of homage/tribute to the overall style of Nintendo games and characters in Gen 9 :) :) i don't think it is something that would be a good fit for every new Pokemon main series game, but here thus far it is pleasantly wacky and also has a welcome retro mood to it.

It's incredible how bad this shot is:

Immagine.png

The shadows are really pixelated, the sand and the water textures are extremely low quality and the game cannot handle the pokémon animation so it creates that pixelated blue outline that makes them look like they've been copy-pasted into the game.

What point? They introduced a new Pokémon and people are calling Game Freak lazy over it. The point is that a deliberate decision to make two Pokémon similar is not lazy or taking shortcuts.
The point I just mentioned about no one referring to "recolor" so literally. And maybe people are calling the design lazy because there are indeed shortcuts when making a Pokémon that much similar to an old one.

Also, behaving like I am specifically calling you out because other people didn't directly use the word "recolor" or "model" and simultaneously accusing me of intentionally not looking beyond the surface of what is being said is more questionable than anything else here.
Excuse me, this is not meant to sound sharp, but the way you were saying you were basically (although prolly not intentionally) creating a straw man to people beat and it's questionable to answer it?

According to Khu, Paradox mon work basically the same as RF: old pokémon with some really minor changes.

That's my problem with it. People compare Unovan Pokemon to Kanto Pokemon and Pikaclones but all of those are distinct from each other. This is just a Digglet they recolored and made the body longer. Its not distinct enough from Digglet and they're passing it off as a new Pokemon instead of a variant.

Pink is apperently the evo color
Some people have been since yesterdays footage calling Wiglett to be pink. I guess it was just the lighting effect on the white model.
It's incredible how bad this shot is:

View attachment 164042
Yeah, sadly, Game Freak is still far behind in graphics with this one, somehow seems worse than PLA to me. Personally I don't care much for graphics, but I hope they finally get it right with gen 10.

Yeah, sadly, Game Freak is still far behind in graphics with this one, somehow seems worse than PLA to me. Personally I don't care much for graphics, but I hope they finally get it right with gen 10.
I don't know, it looks like Pokémon have FHD textures on them while everything else in the the environment is below 360p.

Okay, I just want to point out something regarding Wiglett in relation to Diglett: Even though Diglett is based on a mole, some people speculated that the body hidden underneath is actually more tube-like like an earthworm. Even though Wiglett seems to be based on a garden eel as apposed to an earthworm, it has a long tube-like body similar to what people had previously speculated was going on with Diglett.

Given what I have stated, is it possible that these 'rfake' Pokémon species are at least partially based on design misconceptions regarding the Pokémon they resemble? It would explain why Game Freak had them be separate species instead of lumping them in the regional variant category. In addition, they probably used convergent species as an excuse to explain why these Pokémon are so similar while attempting to give their creations an identity of their own, hence why Wiglett was made into a Water-type garden eel rather than an earthworm.

This likely means that the concept of a tube-like not-a-mole Diglett that isn't Diglett came first, followed by them finding the garden eel similarity giving the designers further inspiration. This also explains why both examples have Gen I Pokémon chosen for this: the early Gen 1 sprites were kind of rough representations of what they had in mind and had a lot of misinterpretations regarding the designs due to the technology limitations at the time.

If true, I think we need to ask ourselves this question: What design misconceptions can we apply to the Tentacool line that would look good in the context of a mushroom Pokémon?

The point I just mentioned about no one referring to "recolor" so literally. And maybe people are calling the design lazy because there are indeed shortcuts when making a Pokémon that much similar to an old one.

Excuse me, this is not meant to sound sharp, but the way you were saying you were basically (although prolly not intentionally) creating a straw man to people beat and it's questionable to answer it?
We could talk in circles all day but that won't change the fact that Wiglett is a distinct Pokémon and neither a copy of Diglett nor a waste of a "pokédex slot". Some Pokémon look similar to other Pokémon and in this case, the similarity is part of the concept, there's no reason to complain about that and it doesn't make Game Freak lazy. Pointing out when people are being dramatic about a nonexistent problem is not creating a strawman. If all you are going to do is make accusations and obsess over who did or didn't use the word "recolor" there's nothing further to say to you.

We could talk in circles all day but that won't change the fact that Wiglett is a distinct Pokémon and neither a copy of Diglett nor a waste of a "pokédex slot". Some Pokémon look similar to other Pokémon and in this case, the similarity is part of the concept, there's no reason to complain about that and it doesn't make Game Freak lazy. Pointing out when people are being dramatic about a nonexistent problem is not creating a strawman. If all you are going to do is make accusations and obsess over who did or didn't use the word "recolor" there's nothing further to say to you.

1) No one here can say for sure whether or not things like this would lead to a "waste" of a slot since we don't know how things will go in the future nor Game Freak process behind (and "waste" isn't literally, but some people would like the slot being spent on a different mon instead of having another so similar).

2) People can have their reasons you don't agree with to complain about whatever they want to and there's indeed a legitimate reason to this time. Yes, there are other Pokemon similar to each other, but that doesn't make it any less worse for some, people have always complained about "dex fillers" (Volbeat, Illumise).

If you weren't creating a straw man, who were you referring to?

Back
Top Bottom