• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword and Shield Music/OST Discussion

Reaction score
Is it too early for a thread like this? I didn't see one so sorry if this exists already...

I know we've only heard a very small bit, but I'm excited for the music they make for a console like the switch.

I also think it's interesting that the main theme we heard in the trailer incorporates the Hall of Fame tune... Could mean nothing, but Pokemon is actually full of musical cues, so you never know.

Anyway, discuss :)

I'm pretty sure it'll be orchestrated, but I'd love them to give emphasis to certain instruments. Like how Hoenn had trumpets and Sinnoh had pianos, Unova had flutes.

I hope to everything that Sword/Shield goes down an orchestral classical influenced style, like some of the tracks in X/Y. X/Y's OST was so good. An England/UK region just kind of asks for it. I know a lot of people are focused on British rock, and that's fine, but there is a fine tradition of classical music in the UK that I think is overlooked compared to other Western European countries.

I adored, X/Y's Route 4 march theme. England has a lot of this influence to pull from itself:

I really hope we see more tracks like this.

Sadly, I know that a key composer in X/Y left the series sometime before S/M, and boy was it super evident in S/M. =( I want greatness from S/S's OST, but I don't really expect it at this point.

The OST in the Pokemon games is something I never spend too much time thinking about, and while I have loved previous OSTs, I think this is the first time I have ever gotten the music from the trailer in my head this early, and was actually humming along to it. After Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee (where my favorite thing was the music), I am looking forward to hearing the music from my Pokemon game coming from more than a tiny device, and I can't wait to see what they can do.

I'm cautious about it. USUM had one of my favorite OSTs in the series, but so far none of the song's have done much for me yet, and the vocal song really does not jive with me.

It took me a couple of tries, but as I was watching through the Direct once again I was listening more closely and then I heard it: Bagpipes. And I nearly screamed in happiness.

So far all the music that we have heard, or at least vaguely heard, has been really strong. So far the only thing that has been able to push me to tears was the song from the first trailer, but hey we have only heard a little bit and if I already have music that pushes me to tears, it's a good thing.

Really excited to see what more we will hear from these games.

While I think they could have gone to a more orchestral side, I'm in love with the soundtrack so far.

Here are some more recreation attempts since the thread is outdated:

About my favorites, I'm still in love with the title screen theme and that city theme from the announcement. Oh, and also the Raid Battle Theme, but it's a shame that people couldn't recreate a clean version of it yet.

Oh, my dead thread! Haha thanks for reviving it, @Myth !

I think of all the music they've shown in trailers, the gym leader then it's my favorite. I haven't listened much to the fan recreations yet, I tend not to like those.

When I watched a leaked stream I thought the Turffield theme was really nice. An atypically chill use of guitar for a Pokémon track. The cave tracks were cool too, and Stow-on-Side's theme reminded me a bit of both Driftveil and Lentimas.

Hulbury's theme is actual hell. I worry that even mentioning it will dredge it back up into my mind...

I like the wild encounter theme, but not so much the Trainer battle theme.

From that one town theme they officially revealed, I actually think it's not that bad. It gave off a distinctly R/S/E theme. Which is fine, because I did like R/S/E's OST. Most of Pokemon's OSTs post-Gen III (save for Gen VI) have been very forgettable for me. So while it may not be what I originally wanted as I posted in this topic, if the OST is like R/S/E that would be a win.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom