• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

How long is the story? Is it good? I dont want details about the story, just tell me if its good or bad( compared to other pokemon games), and how long it takes to finish it . Also, I decided to go around the sea and small islands to see how big it was, I thought it was bigger than I expected, the sea is quite big , with many small islands to explore, sharpedo chasing you is cool, it can chase you for a long time .I can finally see wailord in its real size in overworld, its nice.

I didnt explore the main island yet, but i think the dlc is worth much more than usum and third versions.

So, you can spend Watts to upgrade the dojo with certain amenities like a hair stylist, vending machines, a Rotomi unit, and so on. Now, a bit spoilery here, but...

Once you've spent enough, you can spend more to have a battle against a powerful Trainer, which turns out to be Honey. But before she decides to battle you, she actually tries to contact "the champions from other regions" but says she was told that Galar is too far away. That's what she was actually planning as a reward for your Watt donation.

This seems like an absurd thing to just tease and not pay off. So I couldn't help but notice when, after beating Mustard at the end of the storyline, he says that he hopes you'll come and battle him again so that you can both become stronger "for when the time comes." And then says "Oh, don't worry, you'll find out what I'm talking about eventually."

Surely this is a reference to the Galarian Star Tournament, which can only be done after completing both sets of DLC? Could it feature Champions from previous games?

I think progression from what people have posted.
Yeah I just checked and it is progression. I have a second save file that I haven't much progress on that I'll probably use to play through the first time. There's something kinda weird to me about putting a team together full of level 60 Pokemon and then having them probably evolve straight away after they gain a level.
That's disappointing to hear. One reason I was debating getting the DLC was so that I could raise my low-level shiny Turtonator, but considering I have already beaten the game I would have to raise him to level 60, which doesn't seem appealing. I mean, it makes sense as having the level scaling tied to your actual levels would probably be difficult to balance, but still. I wanted to raise my sparkly turtle child from level 3.

People were talking about how the level scaling in Isle might be testing the waters for a full open world game, but considering it is just blanket scaling based on your game progression, and not actually tailored to your Pokémon's levels, I'm starting to think this is not the case. I figure a full open world game would have scaling tied to levels and not progression because you could make the game very easy by just not progressing the main story and messing around instead. Granted that's already an issue with Pokémon, but I feel an open world game would exacerbate that.
Your lead Pokémon follows you in the overworld (at least within the Isle of Armor) after you receive Kubfu
On the one hand, it's great that following Pokémon has made a return outside LGPE. On the other hand, to my understanding this is Isle exclusive, which feels a little scummy considering it, along with a few other features, should have been in the base game in my opinion. I can't help but think this was done to be another bulletpoint on the DLC's "reason to purchase" list, though perhaps that is just my own pessimism and frustration leaking through.

I'm hoping GameFreak makes some features like following Pokémon available in the base game in a future update, but I highly doubt it.

Last edited:
Thought I'd let my old Gengar have some Max Soup to let it Gigantamax to make up for losing his Mega Evolution.
It was kind of disappointing that there wasn't a special animation for when he ate it. The screen just fades to black for a second and then the NPC you talk to lets you know your Pokemon can now Gigantamax. All of our Pokemon have an animation for eating food, so it's weird that they didn't at least play a similar cutscene.

Seems there's at least one new Max Raid NPC partner, a male dojo student with a Poliwhirl.

Edit: Also a female dojo student with a Krokorok.

I’m completely with you on this - only thing is I figured that at least the first couple of games with regional variants they’d probably want to keep each region’s special variants as relatively exclusive to make them more special for that region.

Zigzagoon sort of breaks the regional variants thing a little though as it’s Shield Pokédex says:

“Thought to be the oldest form of Zigzagoon, it moves in zigzags and wreaks havoc upon its surroundings.”

So Galarian Zigzagoon should just be referred to as Zigzagoon and the other form should be Hoennian Zigzagoon.

TBH I love the idea the idea of a regional variant be the original version and the normal version being a more prolific subspecies

I must admit, I am slightly disappointed.

I’ve enjoyed the strong bug types that are on the island, but I wish I’d realised just how much better the story would be if I’d not long since started the game. My level 70 Duraladon against Avery’s Abra was a slightly underwhelming start...

Good characters so far though, I’m just about to make the soup!

Preliminary thoughts:
*The isle itself is excellent; massive with plenty to find by exploring.
*Klara really is Blue's successor. Not only is she a jerk, but she has level 60+ Pokémon with moves like Confusion.
*It really feels so far like it was meant to be done early in the game, which is a bit odd for something released half a year later.

Well, I had an annoying situation pop up. I had successfully played the DLC on my Switch Lite's main "user" just fine, but when I tried testing the other files, it wouldn't work. No matter what I tried, such as deleting and re-downloading the DLC, it wouldn't work. Eventually, I ended up having to buy and download the DLC for BOTH Sword AND Shield again via a different "user". After spending $60 more on a second download, it worked on all the other files. I'm not sure if this is an issue for all Switch Lites or mine is just buggy or something (I wouldn't rule it out, as it has terrible trouble trying to link to the wifi even when it's only 3 feet away from the source), but, just in case, if anyone is using a Switch Lite, be on the lookout for this problem possibly cropping up. If you have multiple "users" on it, be careful, as the DLC may not work except on the "primary" user (or whatever user bought it in the first place) without needing a second DLC purchase on a different user. Again, I don't know if this is just my Switch Lite being a pain or it affects all Switch Lites, since my regular Switch had no issues like this whatsoever, but fair warning in case it rears its ugly head and you have to do what I did.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom