• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

Staying on Topic
So about Calyrex (datamine spoilers hereforth)...

It seems likely according to evidence in some of the DLC code that there will be two more new Legendary Pokémon in the Crown Tundra that Calyrex will be able to fuse with.

First we have this:

In which codenames are used to refer to certain Legendary Pokémon. 898, a National Dex number, corresponds to "Kuraun" (a rendering of the Japanese pronunciation of "crown" which is most likely Calyrex. But there are four spaces prior to that - two for the new Regis, and two with other codenames: "Hakuban" and "Kokuban," meaning white horse and black horse. And as the tweet states, these names can "combine" (I admit I am not clear what that means in terms of the actual code) with Calyrex to form "Hakuraun" and "Kokuraun."

So, then there are the titles for each of the expeditions:

Another tweet of his reports one titled "A Legendary Tree of a Legendary Three" which must refer to the Galarian Kanto birds. "They Came From the Ultra Beyond" certainly refers to the returning Ultra Beasts, and "The Terrible Titans... Lurking Locked Away" most likely refers to the five Regis. Which leaves "The Sacred Bonds of Sovereign and Steed." Well, Calyrex is obviously a "sovereign," but who's its "steed"? It would make sense if it were one of the aforementioned horses with which its name can be combined.

Lastly, this was more recently discovered:

There is code for a new item that works in the same way as the DNA Splicers/N-Izers. An item to fuse Calyrex with one of its steeds? (I wouldn't be surprised if they're "version exclusive" like the two Urshifu forms).

One more thing, just more of a trivial note of possibility. The DLC code brings the National Dex total up to 898. If we get the usual three Mythical Pokémon for this generation (speculating further, maybe a Meltan-esque one as an incentive for Let's Go Johto, and then a final one for Sinnoh remakes?) and Zarude is one of them, then that would take us up to a nice, smooth, even 900 in time for Gen 9. Neat!

(I wouldn't be surprised if they're "version exclusive" like the two Urshifu forms

Urshifu’s forms aren’t version exclusive - they’re just based on which tower you choose, so I’m guessing you mean tied to storyline choices?

I find a lot of this data mine stuff really interesting but always find myself wondering why they’d put the code into a patch so far ahead of the DLC launching - surely they realise that people datamine these to find anything and everything they can?

Urshifu’s forms aren’t version exclusive - they’re just based on which tower you choose, so I’m guessing you mean tied to storyline choices?

Right, right - thing is, I picked Single Strike on my Sword file and Rapid Strike on my Shield file, so I often conflate the two as being exclusive to those versions :X3:

Anyway, at least from how I understand what Matt is saying in his tweet, there's just one Calyrex fusion item with two states (for fusing and then unfusing), which suggests to me that it's more like Kyurem, where only one Calyrex fusion will be supported per save file. With Necrozma, you can have one of each fusion simultaneously. This arrangement makes more sense to me if each player is only going to get one of the horses, be it through version exclusivity or in-story player choice.

Edit: Though I guess on second thought, that didn't really matter in USUM, which gave you both devices even though Solgaleo and Lunala were version-exclusive. So idk lol

I find a lot of this data mine stuff really interesting but always find myself wondering why they’d put the code into a patch so far ahead of the DLC launching - surely they realise that people datamine these to find anything and everything they can?

Well, I normally would maintain that even leaks are a form of press that companies are capable of considering and employing, but I think because there is so much data that does get scrubbed from these things, it's typically thought that whatever team is responsible for preparing these demos and updates simply aren't thorough enough, and leave some things in without meaning to. There was an attempt to prevent spoilers, but they didn't check every corner.

Last edited:
(Disclaimer - my intended tone here is friendly and laid back)

Do you think you could maybe start to frame your posts as opinions - which is exclusively what they are - instead of fact? I wasn’t going to say anything but it’s like... every single one of your posts. For the past couple of years, as far as I remember.

In my opinion, Pokémon following you in LGPE was more a nod to Pokémon Yellow than anything else, since that’s technically what they were a remake of. However, I could be wrong.

Now that I can definitely see. While Go had a buddy system at that point, the game didnt have walking Pokemon until after Let's Go's release

My thoughts on the DLC:

• The Isle of Armor is really pretty. Who would have thought that mountains that block the look of other areas and secret passages was what the Wild Area needed to finally feel immersive and to become something that would give me hope for this franchise's future with more open-world environments. Its Pokemon distribution is great and it's good that it's less dependent on weather, and seeing all those Pokemon interacting is great. Also, it definitely invites and rewards exploration on many ways. You should give it a try if you're into that kind of things.
  • The story is simple but also kind of nice. It's funnier to complete than Episode Rose and Episode Descendants, and I like how it could be split into three parts with each one focusing on a different character. The first one in Avery, the second one in Kubfu and the third one in Hop. I completed it in like 8 hours, and ignoring all distractions (something which should be almost impossible to do on the first run) I don't see it lasting less than 2 hours. Its duration surpassed my expectations, but not by a landslide.
  • Restricted Sparring is okay. It's a simple and entertaining a idea that forces you to plan accurately. I don't know how much I'll use it, since the dificulty seems higher than in the Battle Tower (My Steel types died on their third battle to a Hydro Pulse-spamming Clawitzer :cry: ).
  • Following Pokemon is a bit flawed, as because of the Pokemon's speed you won't see them in many camera angles and all animations are recycled from Home, but it's still great that it could come back to finally become a series staple after 11 years of becoming mainstream in HGSS.
  • Level scaling is possibly its biggest flaw, since the Level 60 cap wasn't confirmed until release many of us had to improvise teams. Also, the first "part" that I mentioned earlier seemed specially made for people who are just in their first badges of the game so it felt very weird going through it, it should have been just a postgame quest with levels that are the average of the Pokemon you own.

So about Calyrex (datamine spoilers hereforth)...

It seems likely according to evidence in some of the DLC code that there will be two more new Legendary Pokémon in the Crown Tundra that Calyrex will be able to fuse with.

First we have this:

In which codenames are used to refer to certain Legendary Pokémon. 898, a National Dex number, corresponds to "Kuraun" (a rendering of the Japanese pronunciation of "crown" which is most likely Calyrex. But there are four spaces prior to that - two for the new Regis, and two with other codenames: "Hakuban" and "Kokuban," meaning white horse and black horse. And as the tweet states, these names can "combine" (I admit I am not clear what that means in terms of the actual code) with Calyrex to form "Hakuraun" and "Kokuraun."

So, then there are the titles for each of the expeditions:

Another tweet of his reports one titled "A Legendary Tree of a Legendary Three" which must refer to the Galarian Kanto birds. "They Came From the Ultra Beyond" certainly refers to the returning Ultra Beasts, and "The Terrible Titans... Lurking Locked Away" most likely refers to the five Regis. Which leaves "The Sacred Bonds of Sovereign and Steed." Well, Calyrex is obviously a "sovereign," but who's its "steed"? It would make sense if it were one of the aforementioned horses with which its name can be combined.

Lastly, this was more recently discovered:

There is code for a new item that works in the same way as the DNA Splicers/N-Izers. An item to fuse Calyrex with one of its steeds? (I wouldn't be surprised if they're "version exclusive" like the two Urshifu forms).

One more thing, just more of a trivial note of possibility. The DLC code brings the National Dex total up to 898. If we get the usual three Mythical Pokémon for this generation (speculating further, maybe a Meltan-esque one as an incentive for Let's Go Johto, and then a final one for Sinnoh remakes?) and Zarude is one of them, then that would take us up to a nice, smooth, even 900 in time for Gen 9. Neat!

Does this mean that Crown Tundra won’t be where Zacian and Zamazenta come from since Calyrex is tied to two other legendaries? Or is it possible that the wolves fought alongside the horses (with Calyrex riding one of them) against Eternatus in a Max Raid Battle?

Does this kill my prediction? No, I won't give up, and next week's announcement is pokemon grey!

Here are actual spoilers from the datamine:

If these are codenamed black horse and white horse, it could be just a reference to black and white, the same games where the swords of justice debuted,rather than their actual appearance or maybe both, probably just a coincidence. I looked them up, in norse mythology and many religions, the white horses bring the savior in the end of times,so I was right predicting expansion ragnarock. Anyways, as I'm too lazy to look deeper, I moved to king Arthur, and apparently there is some debacle on wether or not Arthur's horse was black or white, and that's where I felt like reading some pages of confusing myths isn't worth it, so I should quit when I say these horses will be grass-type and have design elements from lions and leopards. Ok I'll stop, after looking their symbolism in alchemy,JK.
Back to logic, since there is that keldeo event, maybe these horses are new members of the swords of justice.
Sorry to whoever I argued with that it won't make sense if a pokemon as important as a new form of lugia out of the artwork.

I’m pretty sure its meant to be a nod to the classic sci-fi movie “It Came From Outer Space”. Especially since the aliens in that movie are sort of jellyfish looking, as is Nihilego.
It's clearly referring to mha's catchphrase: Go beyond....Plus Ultra!
Duh

Does this mean that Crown Tundra won’t be where Zacian and Zamazenta come from since Calyrex is tied to two other legendaries? Or is it possible that the wolves fought alongside the horses (with Calyrex riding one of them) against Eternatus in a Max Raid Battle?

Probably puts a dent in the idea of Calyrex being related to the wolves, yeah. But I guess there's still nothing to indicate one way or the other if the wolves originate from the Tundra in general. They are in my headcanon, anyway.

It's kind of a shame how only 44 returning Pokémon from the Crown Tundra won't be legendaries, fossils or starters.

I love the returning fossils, but seeing lots of returning 'mons in the overworld is the best. Walking around and such.

It's kind of a shame how only 44 returning Pokémon from the Crown Tundra won't be legendaries, fossils or starters.

I love the returning fossils, but seeing lots of returning 'mons in the overworld is the best. Walking around and such.
Maybe the RKS laboratories someone was like "Hmmm, Imma revive a buncha fossils and breed 'em and open a jurassic park, and let eeeeeveryone catch these as if they don't matter, because if a safari in this universe allowed you to steal their pokemon, a zoo of previously extinct pokemon can!"
I remeber when amaura was first confirmed to return and many people condisidered this a possibility, though it is more of pipe dream than a possibility, another pipe dream is that you won't buy them or get them dug for you like the 4 fossilmons this gen, but rather have a mini-game like the sinnoh underground or maybe an excavation held by the RKS laboratories, which is almost definitly not gonna happen beceause ofc it won't.

Back to logic, since there is that keldeo event, maybe these horses are new members of the swords of justice.
[/spoiler
That'd be pretty strange. The Swords of Justice are definitely based on the Three Musketeers book, and there's only four musketeers there. There's also the fact that the Swords of Justice's only lore is their role in an event in Unova, so a far-off island isn't really the best place to add new members.

That'd be pretty strange. The Swords of Justice are definitely based on the Three Musketeers book, and there's only four musketeers there. There's also the fact that the Swords of Justice's only lore is their role in an event in Unova, so a far-off island isn't really the best place to add new members.

There does seem to be evidence of an in-game event for the Musketeers, but I don’t think they’ll have anything to do with Calyrex or its steeds.

"The Sacred Bonds of Sovereign and Steed." Well, Calyrex is obviously a "sovereign," but who's its "steed"? It would make sense if it were one of the aforementioned horses with which its name can be combined.
The first time the title was revealed people thought it referred to the swords of justice. I like your interpretation better and I hope there’s more evidence for that one as opposed to the swords of justice.

Maybe the RKS laboratories someone was like "Hmmm, Imma revive a buncha fossils and breed 'em and open a jurassic park, and let eeeeeveryone catch these as if they don't matter, because if a safari in this universe allowed you to steal their pokemon, a zoo of previously extinct pokemon can!"
I remeber when amaura was first confirmed to return and many people condisidered this a possibility, though it is more of pipe dream than a possibility, another pipe dream is that you won't buy them or get them dug for you like the 4 fossilmons this gen, but rather have a mini-game like the sinnoh underground or maybe an excavation held by the RKS laboratories, which is almost definitly not gonna happen beceause ofc it won't.

It's even more frustrating knowing that a Jurassic Park theme park was the stated end goal of the person reviving fossils in Aloha and neither of the games delivered on the idea as a postgame reward (especially with the underwhelming new areas USUM did add to the region).

It's even more frustrating knowing that a Jurassic Park theme park was the stated end goal of the person reviving fossils in Aloha and neither of the games delivered on the idea as a postgame reward (especially with the underwhelming new areas USUM did add to the region).
It was more of an Easter egg than anything else.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom