• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

Hey so I've been taking my sweet time with the Expansion pass to the point that I'm taking my kubfu on a tour around mainland Galar to level it up for the tower (idk I'm weird). Question do you think it is worth it to keep Urshifu's signature move in lieu of a similar powered, same type move (think Darkest Lariat or Liquidation)?

As I checked, those special moves don't really have significant effects (critical) compared to higher powered moves with significantly more pp.

personally, i've kept my Urshifu's special move (i went for Rapid Strike so i have Surging Strikes), mostly because, i may be wrong but im under the belief that three critical STAB strikes would be stronger/more useful than what i'd get out of a similar move like Liquidation. if PP is a concern, however, then it'd make sense to go with Liquidation. although honestly i'd just PP Max the signature move as i feel like it would have arguably more useful applications than not.

Last edited:
personally, i've kept my Urshifu's special move (i went for Rapid Strike so i have Surging Strikes), mostly because, i may be wrong but im under the belief that three critical STAB strikes would be stronger/more useful than what i'd get out of a similar move like Liquidation. if PP is a concern, however, then it'd make sense to go with Liquidation. although honestly i'd just PP Max the signature move as i feel like it would have arguably more useful applications than not.
That makes sense thank you

I've been wanting to make a thread with a poll asking people which tower they chose, however, I fear that such a thread may violate the spoilers embargo so I thought I'd just ask here.

---
I personally would have probably gone with the Tower of Darkness had I gotten the DLC. While I originally preferred Rapid Strike form based upon official artwork, after the seeing the animated models for both forms, I think I prefer the Single Strike form instead.

I chose Tower of Waters for several reasons:
* Typing. Rapid Strike's Fighting/Water typing is better because it has no pesky Fairy x4 weakness and I just prefer Water types.
*Color: I like Blue better than Red so I prefer Rapid Strike Gigantamax form
*Moves: I prefer its signature moves since it can break Sturdy and Focus Sash.

I decided to have Kubfu study under the arts of Waters.

Honestly; I don't care for either form of Urshifu, but I guess I felt that I had to stick with my guns as Water is one of my favorite types anyway.

Went with the Tower of Waters. I prefer the design of the Dark one, but I already had Grimmsnarl as physical Dark attacker so oh well.

Well, back in the (not) halcyon days of a few weeks ago, I was led to believe by a comment from a Nintendo representative that the level scaling in the Isle of Armor would work quite differently from how it actually does, and devised this elaborate plan to build a team centered around my retired Inteleon from the main story run. So with Inteleon already providing a Water type to the team, it just made sense to go for the Tower of Darkness.

Of course that whole plan quickly went to pot, but by the time I realized it wasn't going to work out, I had more-or-less already made my choice and figured I'd just stick with it. I'd end up needing a Single Strike Urshifu for my Living Form Dex anyway. Then I played through the Shield version of the DLC on my wife's Switch and got a Rapid Strike Urshifu for the Dex, too.

Stylistically, I actually prefer Rapid Strike Urshifu - I think it has a more interesting philosophy, and cooler animations, and the lack of a 4x weakness is nice. Once the Crown Tundra rolls out, I'm planning on starting up another save file to see what Galar is like with all of the DLC content in place from the beginning, and I'm thinking I might actually use Rapid Strike Urshifu on my team when that time comes.

Once the Crown Tundra rolls out, I'm planning on starting up another save file to see what Galar is like with all of the DLC content in place from the beginning, and I'm thinking I might actually use Rapid Strike Urshifu on my team when that time comes.
I'm planning this, too. I think Kubfu would work better if I had him as an active team member through the game until he got strong enough to clear the tower instead of "visit some spots then feed him a ton of XP candy".
It'll also be nice to be able to correct bad natures before the post game; my Ninetales suffered from a -speed nature in the main story and kept getting outsped and taken down (I suspect that like in Sun and Moon your opponents are EV trained in Sw/Sh).

I'm planning this, too. I think Kubfu would work better if I had him as an active team member through the game until he got strong enough to clear the tower instead of "visit some spots then feed him a ton of XP candy".

Honestly the whole story probably works better if you start it early on in your adventure - I thought it was odd that no one on the Isle had heard of me, even though I beat the unbeatable Champion and all that.

It's a weird way to design DLC that's due to come out months after most people have beaten the game but okay :p

(I suspect that like in Sun and Moon your opponents are EV trained in Sw/Sh).

It just so happens that I was going through old datamine threads recently and read that most Trainers aren't EV trained. Piers's Obstagoon has max HP and Defense EVs to account for his lack of Dynamax, and then there's only two others - the League Staff guy who gives you the Rotom Catalog has a team of optimized Rotom, and the lady who gives you the Eviolite has a Dottler with max Defense and Sp. Defense EVs. (Also there was apparently a cut battle against Ball Guy, and he'd have had a Galarian Stunfisk with max HP and Defense.)

Honestly the whole story probably works better if you start it early on in your adventure - I thought it was odd that no one on the Isle had heard of me, even though I beat the unbeatable Champion and all that.

It's a weird way to design DLC that's due to come out months after most people have beaten the game but okay :p
Yeah the DLC is very odd in that regard. Most other RPGs I can think of made DLC releasing some time after late game content.

When Klara was asking who I was when I beat her I was thinking "the regional champion? The match was televised? I've had like a dozen tournaments since?"

When I think about it that might be why there are so few trainer battles, especially before you hit post-game levels; too many trainers would cause the player to overlevel even more than they already are when they return for the main story.

It just so happens that I was going through old datamine threads recently and read that most Trainers aren't EV trained.
I'm honestly surprised by this. I replayed Platinum between Sw/Sh and the Isle and found my enemies there seemed a lot weaker for their level than in Sw/Sh (but usually had a team with higher levels in comparison). Plus as mentioned even after having Speed EV maxed Ninetales got outsped more than I'd have liked (notably by Leon's Haxorus).

Yeah done a couple playthroughs, initially going to IoA as soon as you can, (when first reach wild area) and to be honest, I was underleveled. I just managed to beat Klara the first time, but after that the 3x Slowpoke were a real challenge and i was eventually left grinding to try and beat Klara on the 3rd task, and grinding again to get Kubfu to win the Tower fight.

I think the right placing for IoA is between the 3rd and 4th badge, around about when you can access the 2nd part of the wild area. Any earlier and its too hard any later and its too easy.

Only problem was the Exp charm makes you level so much faster I started sweeping gyms and even Leon was no real match for me, but then when I get to the Postgame, Hop with Zamazenta, plus Mustard and Klara on IoA postgame I seemed to be about the right level again.

Reporting Posts Reminder
Hey everyone!! In the future, should you see any post claiming to be a "former TPC employee" and they're providing leaks, please report the posts immediately, and let the mod team handle it. Quoting the posts and responding ot them only gives them more attention.

Thanks for reading n.n

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom