• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

So do you guys think it's worth getting it now? I was planning to buy it just last week for my birthday but I decided to check Youtube reviews just to be sure and all videos I saw people were complaining it's really short (with only 3-4 hours worth of gameplay) and that the story is not that interesting (part 1 at least).

While I realise we'll get the Crown of Tundra down the road it'd seem like I'm paying nearly 40 dollars for a lackluster DLC, so I went for a full game instead and got Astral Chain. Now I'm back to think about getting it, by the end of July, but I wonder if I should hold on a little longer until at least Crown of Tundra is out.

Astral Chain is probably the better deal of the two since it's a full game and has a large quantity and variety of content. This DLC offers a good amount IMO though, especially if you like exploring, collecting, and battling, so if you like those gameplay elements you'll probably enjoy it.

Do expansion passes typically go on sale or have discounts attached to them?

Do expansion passes typically go on sale or have discounts attached to them?

Considering it's a Nintendo game and Nintendo games literally never go on sale unless they are resold as a collection or as a special "Player's Choice" type thing, I have a feeling the expansion won't be going on sale unless there's some kind of complete package edition early next year or something for maybe $80. I can still find Pokemon Black/White 2 at certain stores and they are still $30, so I doubt Sword/Shield or their DLC are going to get a hard discount anytime soon.

I can still find Pokemon Black/White 2 at certain stores and they are still $30, so I doubt Sword/Shield or their DLC are going to get a hard discount anytime soon.
Isn’t the high pricing of BW more related to their relatively high demand but low supply rather than Nintendo controlling the pricing? Also, if I remember correctly, $30 is still around ten dollars cheaper than the original price of the games. I’d be willing to purchase the DLC for $20.

for what it's worth, i don't think breath of the wild's dlc has ever been less than $20 (and if it has, very rarely), while botw itself has been on sale on some occasions. going by this, i wouldn't count on the dlc being discounted unless there's some sort of bundled deal (we don't know if game freak is even going to do that sort of thing).

granted, two different developers, but going from that example, i wouldn't have my hopes up for discounted dlc.

I don't even think there's a bundle of BotW with the DLC, at least not one actually released by Nintendo and any that are out there might be created by retailers. So considering BotW hasn't gotten a bundle with its DLC nor has its DLC been hard discounted on the eshop for 3 years now, I don't think the Pokemon DLC will get discounted unless you buy a download code from a retailer for cheaper somewhere.

I was checking the price for a 3DS just the other day since all I got was the simplest 2DS, and it's coming for over $300. I mean, the handheld that's already outdated by a few years's more expensive than a Switch Lite! That's something I really hate about Nintendo. And, as mentioned above, the lack of promotions and stuff (you get those all the time on other consoles' online stores).

Considering it's a Nintendo game and Nintendo games literally never go on sale unless they are resold as a collection or as a special "Player's Choice" type thing, I have a feeling the expansion won't be going on sale unless there's some kind of complete package edition early next year or something for maybe $80. I can still find Pokemon Black/White 2 at certain stores and they are still $30, so I doubt Sword/Shield or their DLC are going to get a hard discount anytime soon.

Yeah, I got both Black and White 2 for $35 each two years ago, with no manual or the official box. Both used.

Been doing a few Restricted Sparing matches, and it hit me that this was a missed opportunity to introduce a new Ribbon. Having something like a Dojo Ribbon for your Pokemon that were able to fight through five matches in a row would have been a nice bonus to get even after completing all of the different type sparring runs.

Also, it dawned on me that there weren't any trainer battles besides the ones included in the story. I know that the base game's wild area didn't have trainer battles besides that one lady with the starters, but it would have been cool if there were trainers wandering around the isle, since it is a trainer grounds of sorts. Maybe even let us rematch them for watts or something.

We were talking about the possibility of a Hidden Ability Capsule a while back because of a new item in the code that seems to change something about the Pokémon it's used on, and I feel like that could be a nice reward for Legendary Max Raids.

On a similar note, yesterday I was thinking about Gigantamax Melmetal, and I wonder if maybe it'll work similarly to Urshifu? Like maybe they'll introduce an item like the Max Honey that you need to add to the Max Soup before Melmetal will accept it, but I don't know if there's room for an item like that in anything the dataminers found. Or maybe there will just be a different conversion method altogether that only a certain someone in the Crown Tundra knows about. At any rate, I think it'd be unfortunate if G-Max Melmetal were distribution-only and players couldn't give their existing Melmetal the option.

For the people complaining about the battle with Honey being too easy. If you rematch her her Pokémon are on par in levels with Mustard's Pokémon in his final battle.

Forest of Focus is the first Pokemon Dungeon/Cave area that I've ever actually gotten lost, as in I don't know where I am or what direction to travel in to get where I need to go.
That happened to me too. Just like when the legend went through the island.

So, an interesting thought occurred to me recently in regards to tying details in the IoA DLC back into mainland Galar lore; because Max Mushrooms exist and Dynamax energy traces back to Eternatus, could this mean said legendary is a fungus creature of some sort? Dynamax energy could be its own fungal spores in that case.

So, an interesting thought occurred to me recently in regards to tying details in the IoA DLC back into mainland Galar lore; because Max Mushrooms exist and Dynamax energy traces back to Eternatus, could this mean said legendary is a fungus creature of some sort? Dynamax energy could be its own fungal spores in that case.

My assumption was more like, Eternatus's energy affected existing fungi on the Isle, and caused those to mutate into Max Mushrooms.

But let's run with your idea for a moment. I mean, we should probably start off with a disclaimer, that not only is this Pokémon - which doesn't strictly follow real-world biology - but also that Eternatus in particular is an alien being, so it could abide by biological standards that we can't properly comprehend.

That aside, I think the most important thing to ask would be, what separates fungi from plants and animals? Well, unlike plants, fungi are not capable of synthesizing their own food, so they must consume external energy much like animals do. But unlike animals, fungi possess a cell wall within their cellular structure (although it is not made of the same material as the cell walls of plants).

We know that the first statement is accurate to Eternatus, because it is said in the Pokédex to consume energy radiating from the Galar region, and Rose revives it by feeding it the energy contained in Wishing Stars. But we can't really verify the second statement, because we do not have access to a microscope and a sample of Eternatus's cells. However, we do know that organisms with cell walls require them so that they can remain upright and rigid in lieu of having a skeletal structure. If animals had cell walls, we would be incapable of movement (although there certainly are some examples of sessile animals such as coral, they are that way for a different reason). And we can clearly see that Eternatus is quite capable of mobility (although I do want to at least make some mention of its relative stillness in its Eternamax form, but even then, it can still move to an extent).

Generally speaking, this lack of mobility in fungi is the very reason why most of them reproduce by releasing spores. Therefore, Eternatus would logically not have much of a reason to reproduce in that way, since it is capable of movement. Therefore, I don't think we should assume that its cells possess cell walls... but then again, there is some irony in the fact that it's essentially a mobile skeleton, so one can already fairly question how it does manage to move around despite its lack of a corresponding muscular system. Like I said, it being an alien creature leaves a lot of unanswered questions as to how it functions. And of course, it's a bit rich for me to cite immobility as a disqualifying factor for the possibility of Eternatus being a fungal lifeform, when there are already two Pokémon based directly on mushrooms that can, in fact, walk around, and utilize spores as a form of offense instead.

... I basically just went in a big old circle, didn't I?

Last edited:
My assumption was more like, Eternatus's energy affected existing fungi on the Isle, and caused those to mutate into Max Mushrooms.

But let's run with your idea for a moment. I mean, we should probably start off with a disclaimer, that not only is this Pokémon - which doesn't strictly follow real-world biology - but also that Eternatus in particular is an alien being, so it could abide by biological standards that we can't properly comprehend.

That aside, I think the most important think to ask would be, what separates fungi from plants and animals? Well, unlike plants, fungi are not capable of synthesizing their own food, so they must consume external energy much like animals do. But unlike animals, fungi possess a cell wall within their cellular structure (although it is not made of the same material as the cell walls of plants).

We know that the first statement is accurate to Eternatus, because it is said in the Pokédex to consume energy radiating from the Galar region, and Rose revives it by feeding it the energy contained in Wishing Stars. But we can't really verify the second statement, because we do not have access to a microscope and a sample of Eternatus's cells. However, we do know that organisms with cell walls require them so that they can remain upright and rigid in lieu of having a skeletal structure. If animals had cell walls, we would be incapable of movement (although there certainly are some examples of sessile animals such as coral, they are that way for a different reason). And we can clearly see that Eternatus is quite capable of mobility (although I do want to at least make some mention of its relative stillness in its Eternamax form, but even then, it can still move to an extent).

Generally speaking, this lack of mobility in fungi is the very reason why most of them reproduce by releasing spores. Therefore, Eternatus would logically not have much of a reason to reproduce in that way, since it is capable of movement. Therefore, I don't think we should assume that its cells possess cell walls... but then again, there is some irony in the fact that it's essentially a mobile skeleton, so one can already fairly question how it does manage to move around despite its lack of a corresponding muscular system. Like I said, it being an alien creature leaves a lot of unanswered questions as to how it functions. And of course, it's a bit rich for me to cite immobility as a disqualifying factor for the possibility of Eternatus being a fungal lifeform, when there are already two Pokémon based directly on mushrooms that can, in fact, walk around, and utilize spores as a form of offense instead.

... I basically just went in a big old circle, didn't I?
You kind of did, lol.

You raise a good point there about fungi immobility, though I think I might have an answer to that: Given its space-warping property, perhaps Eternatus isn’t physically moving itself so much as warping the space around it as its form of transportation instead.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom