• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

>watches trailer

Man... I feel really bad for Gen 2. Gen 1 favoritism is just plain given, and at least Gen 3 has the Regis getting something new. I believe Gen 5 survived a lot in this gen. Assuming Gen 4 gets remakes sometime within the next few years, Gen 2 pokemon are just basically shoved in a corner.

My only complaint is about us getting more Galarian Forms.. but the fact that Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno are getting Galarian forms is what irks me..

And it has nothing to do Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield.

Game Freak has just given Niantic another excuse to recycle those stupid birds (this time thanks to the Galarian forms). Niantic needs to move on from those birds for a good while. I am tired of them.

That said, I'm thankful for the expansions. I'm sure I'll have my nitpicks later, but I am just thankful that Game Freak is going this route to keep fresh life in the games as opposed to going the route of releasing "third version" or "alternate storyline" games.

Now if they fix the EXP Share (doubtful), bring in the rest of the Pokemon over the next couple of years, bring Z-Moves and Megas back, bring back lost moves and give us meaningful, repeatable post-game, I'd be happy to buy Swoosh. I'll be watching these packs closely to see if any of the DLC are more than short, one-off stories.

A Champion's Tournament? Well why not? Some of the aces are being introduced with these expansions...

Sword and Shield - Charizard (Leon/Red), Gardevoir (Diantha), Haxarus (Iris)
The Isle of Armor - Volcarona (Lance), Blastoise (Blue), possibly the Alolan Starters (Kukui/Hau) and Dragonite (Lance)
The Crown Tundra - Metagoss (Steven), Garchomp (Cynthia)

My only complaint is about us getting more Galarian Forms.. but the fact that Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno are getting Galarian forms is what irks me..

And it has nothing to do Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield.

Game Freak has just given Niantic another excuse to recycle those stupid birds (this time thanks to the Galarian forms). Niantic needs to move on from those birds for a good while. I am tired of them.
I would like to note that as the birds were being shown, the voiceover mentioned new Pokémon, not new regional variants. While it’s more likely that they’re variants of Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres now that I think about it, I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of these being new Pokémon.

We're BACK BABY~!! Time to speculate all the bits and bobs that'll be brought forth with these Expansions!

Has anyone checked what returning 'mon have been confirmed so we can guess what's getting a Galarian form? :D

Super hyped for G-Slobro and G-Slowking and the Bird Trio!!! :D

To me, paid DLC works best when the game it is given to already feels complete feature wise. Smash Bros and BOTW are examples of it, where the games are already so rich in content that the DLC is simply the lovely cherry on top of it all.

Sadly, this isn't the case for Sword/Shield. Many areas - especially near the end of the games - look obviously rushed, and the postgame and online work is so much lower than previous Pokemon games. It truly screamed for DLC as a way to fix all the incomplete places. But instead it seems more like they're just gluing other regions onto the incomplete galar region, and charging 30 dollars to get the extra adventures and other unknown fixes.

The only bright side is more Pokemon programmed into the game, which is at least a free update. It is also a smidge better than the previously dreaded second versions - albeit the 90 dollar price tag overall makes the games still more expensive than buying previous games + their revision anyways.

f33.gif

This direct was so hype. Mystery dungeon remake, dlc, and cinderace gmax? My god gamefreak stole my wallet this year.

I know people don't like the idea of dlc but its better than a 3rd version by a long shot.

Edit: I wonder of Rayquaza will be able to mega evolve even if no one else is because of dragon ascent.

im almost anxious to see how this'll turn out. The idea of DLC excites me a lot but part of me worries that what they showed in the direct is pretty much everything and each "new area" will just be a mass of land with like 1-2 points of interest and things to do.

What I'm hoping for overall is
-more galarian forms beyond slowpoke line and the birds
- decent story in the isles of armor expansion
-the dojo to be one of a few facilities being added
-crown of tundra exploration to actually feel like exploration. Just wandering, discovering entrances to caves/temples/dungeons,being able to enter them, lots of secrets, etc.

The idea of new areas supposedly larger and more "packed" than the wild area has me hopeful, but this only means anything if there's actually stuff to do in them. New director honestly does have me hopeful though. He's young and probably more in touch with the current gaming landscape than older staff.

I would like to note that as the birds were being shown, the voiceover mentioned new Pokémon, not new regional variants. While it’s more likely that they’re variants of Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres now that I think about it, I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of these being new Pokémon.

I think the wording on these things is often terrible - if those aren't Galarian Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres then it's pointless adding them without some huge lore reason explaining why they are so similar.

To me, paid DLC works best when the game it is given to already feels complete feature wise. Smash Bros and BOTW are examples of it, where the games are already so rich in content that the DLC is simply the lovely cherry on top of it all.

This is much how I feel, while a lot of the content looks cool, it all feels like stuff that was deliberately held back - especially given the timing of the announcement and the release date of the first pack.

Smash is a great example - the game is huge and easily the biggest of the series and the DLC just adds to it and feels more genuine as added after the game was complete. But even that had a lot of complaints about DLC being a con.

I really can't help but feel like at least one of these new wild areas was meant for the initial game, along with a lot of the added Pokémon - Fletching weathevane being the big give away. While I was disappointed about the dex cut I did see that there were potentially good reasons for it. It's hard to keep shrugging off the problems.

One thing that could be quite interesting with the Legendary birds is that the expansions will give us a total of 3 wild areas - having one bird per wild area, with them acting like previous games runner Pokémon could be quite fun. Especially if they let people without the pass get the one for the normal wild area.

Expansion pass cost 30$ but if we had a third version it would cost 60$. So as a company , making that decision looks very very stupid. But we are talking about the GameFreak. They know what they are doing. So my guess is in 2021 there will be two more parts as expansion passes which cost another 30$. That way GameFreak won't lose money but at the same time they don't need to release a full game every year or give a gap year. I am quite sure the next main series games will be in 2022.

I am very happy about the expansion pass. More old Pokemon, more galarian forms, more places, more characters, new regis, new outfits, appricons, new bike... Yeah it would be much more better and fitting put these features in the games at the first place but hey at least they are trying. The swsh trailers was Killin hype for me. I didn't get excited any for the game at all but this direct made my day.

Edit: also finally we have stories for the legendaries. Hey there is a zereora, hey get that magerna. This was ridiculous. But this time we have a story chapter for them, for their role and lore in the games. That was what most fans wanted to be done. GameFreak is learning.

I think it's worth noting though that we saw the original Regis alongside the new ones. Not to mention in the lineup of legendaries they showed us we never saw the original bird trio.

It's not confirmation but that kinda implies to me that we won't be seeing the original bird trio. (and will presumably have to transfer them)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom