• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
You wanna catch em all?

You gotta pay up to catch em now sonny because it’s been revealed it’s getting an expansion pass complete with a batch of new content, new characters, some new legendary mons, some old favourites returning and maybe some new Gigantamax forms.

Parts: Isle of Armor, Tropical Themed, June 2020 release.
Has a Kungfu vaguely canine legendary with two forms depending on version- Dark/Fighting in sword and Fighting/Water in Shield. Form dependent Gigantamax.
Theme; Growth
Features a Dojo with Leon's Mentor called Mustard.
New rivals, Posion/Fairy (I forgot) for Sword, Psychic for Shield.

Crown Tundra
Theme: Exploration (Yay!)
Had a Grass Calyx ruler legendary with a deer head. Is an icy area. Has a temple, ruins.
A certain person appoints you for expedition.
  • New legendaries related to the Regis and what looks like Legendary Birds but edgier.
  • LOTS of new customisation, with some of the bike. It’s possible that locked into exploration gear in the Tundra.
  • What looks like an underground, with legendary Max raids.
  • Entire thing works like the Wild Area with free exploration and free camera.
  • Implies 200+ additions to the Pokémon available in Galar. Games without pass will get a free update to allow trade for said new additions. Include Volcarona and Kingdra.
  • An update today (I think?) gives you Galarian Slowpoke which used fire moves, will evolve into Slowbro/Slowking with items from the Isle or the Tundra. You also meet the new rivals.
  • Gigantamax Galar and remaining Kanto Starters.
View: https://twitter.com/bulbanewsnow/status/1215280786842275840?s=21

Last edited:
(Editing in the entire information from the direct for ease of access)
Costs $30 (source reddit, couldn’t watch the end of the direct since the livestream had something go wrong (?)

Parts: Isle of Armor, Tropical Themed, June 2020 release.
Has a Kungfu vaguely canine legendary with two forms depending on version- Dark/Fighting in sword and Fighting/Water in Shield. Form dependent Gigantamax.
Theme; Growth
Features a Dojo with Leon's Mentor called Mustard.
New rivals, Posion/Fairy (I forgot) for Sword, Psychic for Shield.

Crown Tundra
Theme:
Exploration (Yay!)
Had a Grass Calyx ruler legendary with a deer head. Is an icy area. Has a temple, ruins.
A certain person appoints you for expedition.
  • New legendaries related to the Regis and what looks like Legendary Birds but edgier.
  • LOTS of new customisation, with some of the bike. It’s possible that locked into exploration gear in the Tundra.
  • What looks like an underground, with legendary Max raids.
  • Entire thing works like the Wild Area with free exploration and free camera.
  • Implies 200+ additions to the Pokémon available in Galar. Games without pass will get a free update to allow trade for said new additions. Include Volcarona and Kingdra.
  • An update today (I think?) gives you Galarian Slowpoke which used fire moves, will evolve into Slowbro/Slowking with items from the Isle or the Tundra. You also meet the new rivals.
  • Gigantamax Galar and remaining Kanto Starters.

Last edited:
Hm... Well, when you think of it like these are replacing the third versions, then it actually is a better deal.

I like the tundra area.

Still though. Could have been 20 currency for each. Its a more reasonable price, since you also have paid online and need to pay for Home as well. Gamefreak is turning into a greedy company (Which will eventually be their downfall).
Also: Apricorns are back - Johto remakes confirmed.

All I have to say to this is...

I’m so glad GameFreak is doing something that doesn’t scream “cash grab” for once in their lives, and not making a third version for the sole purpose of adding in stuff to SwSh that could easily be added through DLC.

And this bombshell also has just made it far more likely that we will in fact get our long-awaited DP remakes in November.

EDIT: I meant November 2021. My point is, I think it’s a safe bet those remakes will be the next games in Gen VIII now that GameFreak has revealed that they are going the DLC route after all.

Last edited:
And this bombshell also has just made it far more likely that we will in fact get our long-awaited DP remakes in November.

What makes you think that? I was thinking the very opposite: That this means we will get no new full releases of any Pokemon games, as the second DLC comes out in November.

Personally I'm happy that the base games are getting updated rather than receiving a second set of games. This is pretty much what I wanted to happen. So I can't complain.

I'm glad they're going to release an update for the base game so that people can get the 200+ Pokemon being added in the expansion pass, it would have been really scummy otherwise.

Also these new "wild areas" look way more interesting than the original wild area.

Also one final thing. I'm crossing my fingers for Dragalge, Chatot and Starmie to return. They're the main Pokemon I missed from Sword and Shield.

If they said they were going to do this earlier, sword and shield wouldn't have gotten as much flack. However, it is still no guarantee that they will put in the rest of the pokemon in future expansions. For what it is, though, this is how dlc should operate, except for the price, it should be lower.

Well I think the 200+ Pokemon is between both expansions so it seems like there's going to be a number (around 200?) of old Pokemon that don't get in even with these two expansions.

Though I think it's now a possibility that instead of a gen 4 remake they might add Sinnoh as the final expansion in 2021/2022. So it's possible that whatever Pokemon don't get into Isle of Armor or Crown Tundra could still get in later.

Well I think the 200+ Pokemon is between both expansions so it seems like there's going to be a number (around 200?) of old Pokemon that don't get in even with these two expansions.

Though I think it's now a possibility that they might skip a gen 4 remake and just add Sinnoh as the final expansion in 2021/2022. So it's possible that whatever Pokemon don't get into Isle of Armor or Crown Tundra could still get in later.

From the wording they used, the DLC only replaces the Third versions.

It took 24 years but they finally understood it was time to get rid of third versions, ah?
The expasion pass looks promising and there's the great move of releasing freely 200 pokemon to those who don't want to buy it. The price is a bit too much, but let's wait and see what it will offer in the end. I hope they'll work properly on the graphics in these new islands cause that's still my biggest concern with the games.
In the end my question is always the same: why the biggest franchise of all time had the worst marketing campaign ever? Why nobody thought it would have been a smart move to announce the existence of future dlc at e3 last year to (at least) try to calm the storm for dex cut?

Is it 60 dollars for both together ?

I thought it was $30 for an Expansion Pass which would give you both for one game. I think what they meant by "each" was that you'd have to pay $30 for the DLC twice if you wanted it for both games.

I hope I interpreted it correctly.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom