• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

I'm not opposed to DLC in principle, but the idea of paying to fill out what are, by all accounts, anaemic games in the first place, is just insulting. Perhaps if I manage to borrow a copy I may like the game enough to change my mind, but for now, I'm just not paying it
This. The base game was not worth 60 dollars given the amount of content it had (it's 40 bucks at best and for some people that still stretching it given the amount of content some older games have) and now asks for 30 bucks more and it probably won't reach the amount of content the third versions had.

Kubfu's evolutions are not version exclusive, they depend on in game choices

Note: Kubfu will evolve into either Single Strike Style Urshifu or Rapid Strike Style Urshifu. Which form it evolves into will change depending on choices made during your adventure. The forms are not tied to the game version you are playing.

Dialogues may be meaningful this time like other RPGs...

Everyone is celebrating how this is step in the right direction, how it’s great that we’re going away from third version, how GameFreak isn’t being cash-grabby....

...but after quick read through of what will be added, I feel like some or all of this stuff should have been in the base games already instead of in a $30 expansion pack. I mean, remember HGSS?

I'm with you on this, I'll be honest I'm really quite disappointed with the announcement. I'm not a fan of DLC in general unless it feels organically like extra stuff that was developed after the game was completed, this feels very much like a lot of content deliberately held back for the sake of it.

I really liked the sequel/third game set up in the past, but guess I'm in the minority for that around here. I see a lot of comments along the lines of "but the expansions are cheaper than a third version" but they aren't if you want them for both Sword and Shield - had one pass worked for both I wouldn't have minded so much. If you're buying two passes (which are far less likely to get good deals on than new physical games) it feels like much worse value than a single third version game.

There's a lot of interesting looking content in there (Galarian Legendary Birds, yes please) but it's got me in two minds about how much I want the expansion pass.

Also I accept the comments that future remakes could be handled as DLC but I don't think they will personally. I think that rebuilding Sinnoh in 3D will take much more work than building two more wild areas and I'm sure it'll sell better at the Switch prices as a full game than as £50-£60 DLC.

I still think that Sinnoh remakes are the most likely full games but unlikely to appear until next year.

I'm liking the shield exclusive Rival Avery quite a bit.

I think it's because he doesn't seem like a rival character, that's why I like him. Also he's giving me sorta Colress combined with Miles Edgeworth (its the cravat) vibes. (and I really like both of those characters)

I like Klara too, it's kind of a shame they're version exclusive....we can have more than one rival. I guess this means we'll also have version exclusive rivals in the Crown Tundra. (or alternatively Klara and Avery may return)

The legendary birds aren’t really common enough to evolve the Darwinian way... and I guess I have lingering doubts since Serebii's the only source mentioning it so far, with nothing officially stated at the direct and nothing updated at the official websites.

I doubt they would strictly adhere to the idea of Darwinian evolution if it didn't suit them. If they want to make a regional version of a legendary, they will make a regional version of a legendary.

Besides that could be explained away pretty easily if there was a "magical" reason for why the legendary birds that make their home there have taken on a different appearance. Maybe their home is magical, or the area has some kind of special "energy" that changes their appearance.

Fortunately, I caught Aurorus on the direct (it seems that it is catchable on Crown Tundra area), so I think we can catch it on the wild. Cara Liss will not be needed to restore Amaura. I think it's safe to count Tyrunt and Tyrantrum, since they're Gen 6 fossils too.
While I don't hate the Galar fossils, I am really glad that Cara Liss is not going to touch the previous fossils.

It is.

I can also expect there to be Gigantamax Forms of Sinnoh, Kalos and Alola Pokemon coming in these expansion Packs.

Galar Mainland = Kanto and Unova Gigantamax Forms
Isle of Armor = Johto and Alola Gigantamax Forms
Crown Tundra = Sinnoh and Kalos Gigantamax Forms

Where Hoenn fits in remains to be seen.

Will this be our new speculation thread?

What 200+ out of the 400+ Pokemon do we think we will see?

Tbh, it really sounds like this time next year, Sword and Shield will have all Pokemon available through updates.

I guess Gamefreak really did redact that part of their statement last year.

I wonder if the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra will also have new, non legendary Pokemon, new Galarian forms (aside from Slowpoke's line), and their own Pokedexes (as Galarian Slowpoke doesn't have an entry in Mainland Galar's Pokedex)

So far we have:

Horsea/Seadra/Kingdra
Larvesta/Volcarona
Dedenne
Rockruff/Lycanroc
Fletchling/Fletchinder/Talonflame
Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking
NidoranM/Nidorino/Nidoking
Spheal/Sealeo/Walrein
Amaura/Aurorus
Gible/Gabite/Garchomp

Plus the Kanto starters and legendaries (I assume they count as part of that 200+ number)

Presumably that means we'll also get Tyrunt/Tyrantrum and the female Nidos.

I'm hoping us visiting an island means we might see Chatot, though that logic didn't really work out for Alola...

It wouldn't surprise me if we get some new regular Pokemon as well. This is a good opportunity for it since they're brand new areas. (Unlike in the Ultra games where they couldn't really explain why regular Pokemon were just suddenly in Alola....so we got UBs and legendaries instead)

Fortunately, I caught Aurorus on the direct (it seems that it is catchable on Crown Tundra area), so I think we can catch it on the wild. Cara Liss will not be needed to restore Amaura. I think it's safe to count Tyrunt and Tyrantrum, since they're Gen 6 fossils too.

True although I wonder if they'll be split between the different areas or if they'll both appear in the Crown Tundra.

So lore-wise, Calyrex once ruled Galar. Apparently, so did an Aegislash at some point. What a wild history.

Clearly Calyrex ruled Galar while wielding an Aegislash.

Another thing. I hope the starters we already picked in the base game will be able to G-Max instead of having us catch an entirely different one.
I sort of got that impression from the wording in the direct but it's definitely not clear:
"During your adventure in the Isle of armour, these special partners in your team will be able to Gigantamax."

This is just speculation but similar to third version move tutors and such in the past I wonder if the Dojo's "Growth" focus will mean "a bunch of extra features to train and customize your Pokémon," like giving existing ones Gigantamax or even Hidden Abilities. Seems unlikely but they DID add IV training last gen.

So lore-wise, Calyrex once ruled Galar. Apparently, so did an Aegislash at some point. What a wild history.
In a world with superpowered monsters all governments ultimately turn into a monsterocracy.

For re-added Pokémon, I'm holding out for my buddy Metagross and Gengar's OG OU pal Starmie.

So far we have:

Horsea/Seadra/Kingdra
Larvesta/Volcarona
Dedenne
Rockruff/Lycanroc
Fletchling/Fletchinder/Talonflame
Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking
NidoranM/Nidorino/Nidoking
Spheal/Sealeo/Walrein
Amaura/Aurorus
Gible/Gabite/Garchomp
Part of me thinks the Wurmple line will also make a return considering Klara's bow is reminiscent of Dustox's wings.

Apologies if this was already discussed earlier in the thread, but something interesting that I noticed during the direct was that when the new regis and birds were being shown off, the voiceover said something along the lines of "new legendary Pokemon" and not "regional variants" so I'm assuming that these will be entirely new 'mons.

I’m not convinced this will replace third versions altogether. We might still see a deluxe/complete edition which bundles the game and DLC into one cartridge.

I do think a lot of this stuff should have been in the base game, especially the 200+ old Pokemon they’re going to add to the Galar dex. I wonder why they didn’t announce that the dex will be expanded via DLC when the Dexit storm was going on. They could even have done something like Pokemon Go, where they release the ‘mons in waves.

Anyway! The DLC is a step in the right direction. I love the new areas they showed off and the new customisation options look great. They introduced new storylines and characters too, which is something I’ve always enjoyed in a Pokemon post-game! Klara in particular interests me because we haven’t had a poison user for a while, although her outfit did make me think she was a fairy user at first...

Finally, they said that the new maps are seamless (like the Wild Area). Hopefully this is a precursor to an entire seamless region next gen.

So... Pokemon Crown finally confirmed then ;):p
1578590071165.png

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom